Small 3x3 tent Led questions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Massnewbie51, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Just wanted to add, I switched from GH 3 part to Blue Planet 3 part and added their Liquid Blue during bloom. My yield increased 25% and the buds are actually frostier. This was using clones from the same plant with all other variables constant. The blue planet 3 gallons of 3 part is 70 something for all three, and the Liquid blue was like $15 for the quart.

The only caveat I have to add is that I wasn't using any bloom enhancer with the GH. Kinda wish I would have done it without the liquid blue added on that first test run to get a fairer comparison, but there is no way I'm doing that now.

2. I'm more of a comprehensive GH user. I have most of their products. I use flora micro/bloom for NPK mostly during veg but in flower I will drop the flora bloom and switch to liquid koolbloom and micro for the first half of flower. Then I drop liquid koolbloom (0-10-10) and sub in dry koolbloom for end flower ripening (2-45-28). I also use lots of supplements. AN budcandy, GH florablend, ect. ect. My preferred cal/mag lately is nectar for the gods demeters destiny so I jump around between brands.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The LRS-350-36 works great for 4 qb132 v1 boards but the diodes those use are a little more voltage and current hungry then the qb132 v2 boards. I actually haven't seen a 4 board qb132 v2 setup on an LRS-350-36. It may run much hotter.

They may receive slightly more then 75 watts each. The output current of the LRS-350-36 is 9.7 amps @36 volts.
    Divide 9.7 amps by 4 = 2.4amps per board. 2.4a x 36 volts = 87 watts per board.

Sounds like a lot and they may not draw the entire 87 but they are most likely running a little hotter then 75 watts each on the 350-36.

There is many v1 qb132 4 board setups on the LRS-350-36 running well so that older samsung 561c-s6 diode does well with that.

For the v2 boards I would take the step of spending a little more money and using the meanwell HLG-320h-2100a/b or the HLG-320h-36a.

Either of those drivers is going to give you a built in dimmer as well to dial them into the output you want instead of being stuck with what the LRS-350 is putting out because it's been problematic adding dimmers to those. Sometimes they seem to work and sometimes not.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just wanted to add that if you're willing to add fans and other active cooling solutions like possibly a sheet of metal to help cool the boards you'll likely have no issue pushing the boards a little harder then rated.

Check out LED gardners qb288 torture tests on youtube where he attempted to burn up an HLG board. The single qb288 board took over 600 watts by itself and never burnt up. It burned up the driver equipment he was using instead.

These leds are very tough to being pushed a little past max.

5. Yes, I've seen the torture test video. I would imagine the QB132s and the QB120s might be able to take even more because their PCB is thicker and bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  6. You can definitely push the max rating if you're willing to add some fans and active cooling for sure. 25% past rated isn't a huge issue at all. They are built like brick shithouses compared to other leds.

• Like Like x 1
  7. If I can get motivated I'm going to wire up a new pair of 120's I got from invisible sun in the UK as a gift. I have a pair of LRS-75-24 drivers to power them. I'm not worried whatsoever and neither was the maker of the boards when I told him those are the drivers I had. They're going to kick the crap out of the horticulture lighting group qb120s I have next to them on 60 watt drivers. I'm going to take side by side pics. He has a better board layout too. Not clusters of leds. All spaced evenly and a smaller board. UK people and Europeans should take a look at invisible sun. They make a legit product with real samsung leds just like HLG.

• Like Like x 1
  8. He’s sending me a couple of their new ISH150’s to test out. Have to find a driver for them. I just got this light in the mail to test out too so I’m moving my qb96elite v2’s into the center of my 4x4 flanked by 4- qb120’s

4 COB LED square light

I’m working on another light to cover a 2x2 and I’ll have one plant under each light. Then my middle row of 120’s in 4000k will go to veg and I can retire the old T8’s I made

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ding - Thread resurection for selfish reasons. Putting together a 'dream' shopping list for a 36x36x72 setup (closet space) - seems better suited than a 2x4 (opinions).

Is the best line of thinking for lighting such a beast still the 4x132 QB kit or are there better options for me...?

10. I would consider two qb96 elite v2's on a meanwell 320h-54a in parallel. It's a little more expensive then 4 qb132's but you'll have a better light spectrum. The qb96 elites have more blue, more green, and more red including deep reds. Not sure if you're aware but that's a copy of HLG's 360 elite fixture that sells for about $700.

Look at the difference in the light spectrum.
    qb132 3k
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You might have to run more distance and higher watts with the qb96 to get as good of a spread but I think the trade off in coverage for a better light spectrum is worth it. I've grown with both light spectrums. The qb96's are impressive and the plants love them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Woof! Those are bigger than the website makes them look. I was wondering how in the hell something so small got such great results and reviews. Watched a youtube video to see what people were doing for a 'bracket'. Great with the better spectrum....

So, I'm new. Like, I'm old, still on my first grow in a SpaceBucket. Proof of concept, allow me to gain further funding from the boss for a tent setup. Been tuning my thoughts on it for MONTHS. Don't blast me. I have to ask. You're telling me TWO of these - a $100 kit, beats the snot out of most everything out there? Obviously better than the blurple, better than a similar HID?

Would only two of this be appropriate for a 36x36 (of if I went for one of those funky 48x36 jobs - I have weird space constraints? I had budgeted up to 450 or so for the first light and don't mind exercising it if needed.

It covers the spectrum well enough to be used for both veg. and bloom?

Oh, if I went this route what would be an appropriate spacing? I haven't the first clue other than to take a swag....

This is amazing (the videos are incredible).

12. Best spectrum on the market. With the fat blue and green spike it actually averages out to about 3500k so it vegges well. The qb96 v2 is the best grow light out there until the new samsung 301h diodes hit which should be in a month or two. I have some contacts in the industry. Even the new rspec HLG boards that just came out are based on the older 301b diode that came out last year.

I asked another board maker I talk to why they bothered coming out with new 301b based boards when the 301h diode is already out and boards are in production. I got no answer yet. The new rspec boards will actually be obsolete within months you might have heard it here first because a new Samsung diode is dropping. It's already came out. The first based solely for horticulture so it has an H at the end. Boards are in production with it.

They still won't have the power handling ability of that qb96 which is not Samsung but lumiled diodes. They have a much higher power handling ability and all the new boards coming out are basically trying to copy the spectrum of the qb96 because of it's success if you look at the changes in the spectrum between the 3k qb288v2 and the rspec version. It's just shifted to look more like a qb96 but the 301b's can't put out as much power for the price.

You won't be sorry with qb96 v2's. They also won't be necessarily outdated by the Samsung 301h coming out. Those boards are going to copy it's spectrum. They won't add far red to them because everyone wants to sell that separate for now for some reason. They should just throw far reds on the new boards. That might make the new ones better but for now the qb3's are only $9 each. Two of them added to a two board qb96 setup would give you a proper balance for Emerson effect.

13. 6 weeks from flip. 2 288v2's in 3500k from invisible sun on an HLG-320h-c2800a in series, 2 qb96 elite v2's on an HLG-320h-54a in parallel, 2 qb304's in 3500k on an HLG-240h-c1050a and a qb18 on an HLG-40h-24a. All dimmed all the way on current except the qb18 red strip. About 64,000 lux on the top of the plant. Blueberry in a 10 gallon pot, 4x4x82" flower area. I have too many leds for the space so I have to run them dimmed. I can't even run my setup in that space turned all the way up. It could probably outfit a 5x5 at full power.

Running the leds dimmed increases the efficiency as long as you have plenty to cover the area. You'll probably run them a little dimmed depending on how tall your plant is. This is over 5 feet tall. Closer to almost 6 feet.
    IMG_1172.JPG IMG_1173.JPG

14. Thanks SO much for the feedback! Seems I have some more research and reading to do! I like how the two of them look - that's enough alone for a 3x3?

15. You are getting some advice from a qb guru with Tbone. If you search the forums for qb96 there is a thread that goes over ideal spacing and heights for various tent sizes.

Following tbone's advice I'm building a light using two of the qb96 for a 2x4 tent. Building it myself I think it will be under $300. Compared to 700 for HLG's fixture.

QBs are confusing at first... at least they were to me. But there are top notch growers here using them...and raving about them. I've done a LOT of reading and the science and results are there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16. Oh, I totally get it! Tbone, in my readings, is the MAN when it comes to QB. And, it seems QB is the gold standard. Thus, I am in a good place with his advice. I am SUPER THANKFUL for the time he and others here have given me!

I just need to make sure that two 96's will get the job done and then figure out how to get it all wired up. I am technically and mechanically inclined, but all I have managed to do in reading threads for a day is confuse myself on how to wire and mount them, should I go that way. I don't want to invest close to $300 and find out I need another hundred in parts or supplies or the like. I am a planner - what can I say?

• Like Like x 1
  17. I admit that other setups might spread a little better in a 3x3. It's not ideal for only two qb96's to spread 3 feet wide. It's a more perfect fit for the footprint in a 2x4 but you can push the power and run it higher up. You could run 3 on the same driver for a better spread and closer light distance or 4 if you could afford it. It will spread pretty well though. The rated coverage of the HLG 360 which is the same thing is 2x4 or 3x3 for bloom.

Other lights don't have that spectrum. Your other option might be two new rspec boards in a qb260 type step. Cost would be similar.

They have a new version of the fixture for way cheaper then the other one they had based on the qb96. Just found it. No reviews. Comes with frame and lenses. Inventronics driver instead of meanwell. Might be worth buying. Won't ship for a week.
    ELITE 360 LED Kit

Save $100 or so with DIY. Don't get those cool lenses though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. That might be the one! I would probably spend that 100 bucks extra just screwing up making mounts, etc! Looks like the Invertronics driver gets pretty stellar reviews...

I was also starting to look at the 320W XL rspec kit but that would sure be tight if I went with the 3x3 config on the tent (891mm = 35 inches with a tiny amount of change). I believe those have the recently upgraded 288 board, or am I wrong? You are now seeing my complete and absolute ignorance hard at work!

Thank you, Tbone, for placating my million questions and ponderings.

• Like Like x 1
  19. This seems quite reasonable to me as far as price. I wish they would have had this option when I bought my 96s. But it's been fun coming up with my own thing too.

"Flame plate" sounds kind of scary though!

20. I direct messaged tbone with silly questions that I knew the answer to but wanted confirmation. He patiently eased my fears. Thanks again tbone.

Make sure to start a grow diary, I'd love to see your build and future grow.

• Like Like x 1