Slowing growth on a single plant?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by 967, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Hi people, is there any way I can deliberately slow growth on a single plant in a ppk system?

My plants weren't too good so I got some free off a mate, one has growth far exceeding the other 3 and I would like to try let the others catch up

They're top fed with about a 4L res in each bucket that then drains to a 50 ish litre shared res. Could I maybe mix a lower ec solution and hand water to that plant daily, while the others get full strength 5x feeds/24hr? Would then lower ec in bucket it's wicking from so would have less nutrients available at all times..

Anyone got any other or easier ideas? I don't want to cut her as I feel I would significantly lose yield

Cheers

2. Just tie her down mate. Keep the canopy even height. Doesn't matter what size each is as long as the tops are the same height.
    Flat canopy is key for good yields :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yeah I'm running vert tho so it's not quite that easy. Have spread her out quite a lot but she's a lot taller than the rest so I want the others to catch up at least a bit

She is of unknown lineage so there is a chance the rest might catch up during stretch. Or it could get worse haha

4. The only other thing I can think of that I kno from experience works is take a shit ton of leaves and sucker shoots off all at once. That slows them down pretty well

5. As in a vertical scrogg?

6. Yeah pretty much. Tied back to plastic trellis i run around tent poles. 1x 600hps and 1x 315w cmh. Will have a decent light spread so would like it if the smaller ones would get tallish without the big bitch running outa room..

7. Ahh cool, very productive way to do things. Looks tricky though. How you done it, big NFT system with the pipes kinda vibe?

8. Buckets with pvc drain pipe filled with perlite, sitting inside bigger buckets that are plumbed back to rez with 1" rubber hose. Each bucket holds around 4L of nutrient water which is set by the height of water in rez, as water will always find level. Each plant bucket is filled with 70/30 perlite to coco with around 2" of hydroton on top

Gets pumped from rez to top feed out of two open "tees" for 2 mins 5 times per 24hr period. Will put that up to 10 times during flower

Drains out the PVC drain pipe and replaces the 4L of water held in each bucket. The drain pipe also acts as a wick to draw up moisture into the plant bucket

I veg currently under a 600W hps horizontal until mid - late stretch at which point I'll introduce the 315 down bottom on a stand I made, and hang the 600 vertically from the top

Kinda overkill for a small setup really haha I was drawn to it as a failsafe method of hydro. The wick alone will keep the plants alive for weeks should the feed pump fail. Also I can easily go a week if not more without having to check or adjust anything. I kinda stole the idea of the big boys growing trees...

IMG20200615182005.jpg IMG20200615182030.jpg IMG20200615182056.jpg