Sliver's First Indoor Grow!!! (Indica/Sativa) Fun With Molasses!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Sliver, Apr 7, 2009.

1. #1 Sliver, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
    O.k., so, about 10 years ago was the last time I grew. It was outdoors and just a few plants. about a month ago I was at my girlfriends mothers house, and her husband gave me about 1/2 ounce of pot to smoke. It was basically a mixture of several types of bud. Nothing all that impressive, but pretty good all the same.

Once I got home, and about a couple weeks later had finished smoking all the remaining pot, I was sitting around one day, and happened to glance at the empty bag which had stems and about 15 seeds in it. On a whim, I grabbed a small plant pot, some of my girlfriends potting soil, and threw em in. 9 plants came up.

Long story short, I separated them into separate larger pots, and then put them in a closet with 4 150 watt CFL lights. About a month later, when they were all about a foot tall, I cut the light down to 12 hours light 12 hours dark. During the vegatative stage, I gave them RainGrow Organic liquid fertalizer which was a 4-2-3 mix. (more nitrogen for veg stage)... they have done fairly well in my opinion, considering this is my first time. I have watered them only when they need it and gave them fertilizer every other time, after the third week, after the soils fertilizer ran out. I have just switched to the 12/12 light cycle, and in a friends garage managed to scrounge a ballast with a 100 watt metal halide light. That took some work considering I had to nearly electrocute myself by making my own makeshift powercord and plug and ground wire since it was just a light ballast and wires, with no plug. Had a crash course in electrical work. Anyway, it amazingly worked, and now im running the 4 150 watt cfl's beside the plants and the 100 watt MH above. I do have a 150 watt HPS light but no ballast for it and im not sure if it would work with the MH ballast. Anyway, One of my plants appears to be an indica plant, or at least a hybrid, and the rest appear to be sativa, which is not surprising, because most people here in Maine grow outdoors, and most of the pot is sativa up here. but the indica has done AMAZINGLY compared to the rest of the plants.

I thus far have found one male. I also fucked up i think and had the heat in the closet too high because for a short time i had a very hot running light in there with no fan and i THINK i might have 4 hermaphrodites. Anyway....im not going to bother separating them....the indica plant is doing great regardless, I have already cloned it. I have several small plantshoots getting ready separately...I'll try to post some pics....

Anyway, I am about to switch fertilizers to Peters super Blossom Booster plant food. It is a 10-50-10 mix. They say that they like more phosphate during flowering. so thats what im doing.

By the way, CAN you put a 150 watt High Pressure Sodium Bulb into a socket that's attached to a 150 watt metal halide ballast? This ballast I have is old as hell. I'm amazed it works...the guy at Home Depot told me to watch out for brown acid oozing out of it...Yikes...Heh.

Here is the (I think) Indica or indica sativa blend plant as of right now...Just the top of it though...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Heres the entire setup:

[​IMG]

Ok. So there's where I'm at. Or was at yesterday. This is a repost from the Indoor Growing forum...up until here....Now, About those clones.....

I used a rooting agent and cloned them straight into potting soil about 3 days ago. The tops seem to be doing ok...but the bottom leaves are just lying there....should i cut them off and leave the top leaves? These clones are my only hope for keeping my mysterious Indica/Sativa strain alive.

Here are the clones:

URL=http://imagecloset.com][​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

I have them under a 26 watt CFL 24/7. Now, I took the cuttings AFTER they were in flowering stage....how long before they recover and go back to Veg stage? And SHOULD i cut off those bottom Leaves?

Here's my other current problem. It is day 6 of 12/12 with my 2 remaining flowering plants...Like I said I used a 4-3-2 organic liquid fertalizer for the veg stage and I just the other day used a 10-50-10 powder formula for the flowering stage...it was called Peters Bloom Enhancer and it was blue and smelled just like miracle gro....now, I've had these burn problems for a while, but as otherwise my Sativa/indica hybrid looks otherwise healthy...is this nutrient burn? Should I just use water alone next time I water them? Remember i have kept the lights far enough away from the plants that this wouldnt be heat burn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is my poor, poor, sativa plant. It looks like charlie brown's christmas tree...the leaves at the top are curling in and drooping. there are some leaves with burn and some just plain dried and shriveled up. WHAT is up!? The temp in the grow closet isnt that high. I have an exterior fan blowing in all the time. It just doesnt seem to like anything I do. I think I'll try not using any nutrients when watering them next time...Should I cut off the dead or burned leaves? Help. Me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see...I'm having a bit of a time here....What do you guys think I can/should do? I have only watered as needed, but used some sort of nut's every time....Also my little clones NEED to survive. Should I water the clones a little every day or a lot every several days?

Well, theres where I'm at. From here on out I'll keep you guys updated every day or so.

Sliver

2. HIya Silver, sorry to hear about your luck:( As far as cutting the damaged leaves, I would leave them until at least 50% of the leaf is damaged od dead before cutting. nYou have to make sure you are not over watering the plant. Overwatering can show the same as underwatering. Check the soil, if you can out your finger 2 inches into the soil and its dry then water. If it is moist leave it alone fo another day. It is important to maintain a feeding schedule. Too much of one nutrient can lock out other beneficial nutrients. The thing to do with that plant now is to give it a good flush with molasses added to the water @ 1 Tablespoon per gallon, if they are in 1 gallon containers flush 3 gallons of water through her. After a couple of days give it a mild complete nutrient solution, 20-20-20 if you can find it. As for the clones..I can tell you now I have had very little success with just popping them into soil. The soil will not retain enough moisture and if you add too much water the stem will just rot...but you never know:D Hope this helps..best of luck!:p

3. #3 Sliver, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
    Thanks. Should I cut those limp bottom leaves off the clones? And, why molasses? What does that do? And, hey, what's this I keep hearing about a brand called FoxFarm? Can that be bought at a normal greenhouse store or do you have to buy it online?

4. It couldnt hurt...Molasses is a great chelating agent...meaning it will attatch itself to any minerals/nutrients in the soil.It also works great towards the end of flowering if you add a TBS per gallon with each feeding. FoxFarm is an excellent brand, and you can find it at most nuseries or hydroponics shops.
    I was going to suggest using BIg Bloom for your complete nutrient for after the flush.

5. Ok thanks....Should I flush my plants out before they are dry...if that is nutrient burn...IS it nutrient burn? Can any of you tell? So should I flush them out now, or should I wait until the soil is dry?

6. I mean, seriously, I thought I was giving them an enhanced environment and here they are looking like they are veterans of World War Weed!

7. the curling leaves on your seed is "the claw" without a doubt. This is caused by nitrogen toxicity. The plant has been fed too much nitrogen an you should water with straight water with her for a few days. Then give it a lighter dosage from then on. :)

the clones' droopy leaves should be kept as long as they are green. The leaves often stay limp for a bit but should be giventhe chance to perk up.

the indica is a beauty man. I like her best hands down :D Then again I prefer indica's or hybrids. Not a huge fan of the strong sativas.

8. Yeah. She was a total surprise. I'll keep posting on her progress every few days. The hairs on the headbud have just been going CRAZY and its only been like 5 days since I started flowering!

9. #9 Sliver, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
    Ok so guys, here's an update. this is day 7 of flowering. I just took some pics of the indica/sativa...my girlfriend named her "Marilyn". Heh. Shes flowering VERY quickly. Sorry about the picture quality. My digi cam is dead so i had to take these with the built in computer camera.

The clones are doing great. Standing up much better and reaching for the sky! And I just found a 400 watt MH light with hood and ballast on craigslist for 75 dollars!

You cant see it, but trust me, theres white pistils everywhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Flushed the plants tonight with a gallon of water with 2 tbsp of molasses in it. Gonna try that technique from here on out. I hear great things.

11. lovin the pistils man. the molassas should be good for em. just make sure its sulfur free!!!! thats importent :)

12. Oh, it is! It's Grandma's brand.

13. jusss checkin up on my boy :p glad you got the facts before applying. if only every beginner would take such initiative :D

14. Oh yeah. For the past 2 months I have been spending about AT LEAST 2 hours a day on research.

I just took to this like a fish to water. I mean even though it has been 10 years I guess it's a bit like riding a bike. Heh.

15. Molasses ROCKS, people! I woke up this morning and *BOOM*! They TOOK THE FUCK OFF! Pics later when I get home from work!

WOOT!

16. #16 Sliver, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
    Here they are, folks! This is 36 hours after adding 2 TBSP of molasses with one gallon of water to my plants! This is the SAME plant I took pictures of in the last post the other day. Simply phenomenal. Mind you, This is 7 count em only 7 fucking days into flowering!

I'm loving this mystery hybrid. Anyone have any ideas for a name?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Magnifique!

17. I don't know how well it is going to bud with a MH lamp. Try to find HPS if you can, you will have some sparse buds.

18. the hallide wont do as well as a HPS would but will still produce high quality buds. And if you get HPS, you need a ballast specially for HPS. If you can get the bulb and matching ballast, go for it but dnt feel like you won't get good buds without.

an the updates lookin great. Nice growth for 36 hrs man. I like :D

19. Yeah. I actually will be getting a 400 watt HPS within the next couple weeks. Not gonna grow the strains I just ordered with that 100 watt MH....I'll probably use that for Veg stage clones after.

As for sparseness, the indica/sativa Has TONS of starting buds all over it, and new ones starting in nodes all the time! Shes doing quite well, considering. :D

20. sweet im glad to finally see someone else has used sugar, i used some honey, im about to get some molasses now that i've seen your results.