Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sleep and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by tijunga, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hi, A lot of us with CFS have non restorative sleep, i.e, I can sleep 8 hours and wake feeling like I haven't slept in a month. I've used drugs and supplements that helps a little; at least I fall asleep okay now.

Just started using medical mj. Began with Burkle, which a friend suggested I put in a gelcap and swallow it for longer lasting effect. It does work, although a bit hit and miss; but I also get a hangover the next day. Sometimes coffee cures it sometimes it lasts all day, which I don't need.

I've been told Indica is the way to go but don't know the best strain and also best delivery system to avoid the hangover (I have asthma, too, which complicates smoking).

I'd also like to know a strain that I could use during the day that wouldn't make me too spacy, just more energized without feeling stoned (so I could drive my car, for example.)

I'm in SF so there are lots of medical dispensaries to choose from, if anyone has a recommendation.

thanks

2. Strains, I'll let someone else discuss with you in detail. But I believe there is a stain specific stickie in the MMJ section.

Eating cannabis is hit or miss. What you have eaten previously, and when you ate can affect the effects.

You may want to try a glycerin tincture. Unlike alcohol tinctures, glycerin does not burn your mouth. It has a sweet taste and is used as a base for children's liquid medicines.

With tinctures it is easier to control the dose. You can just put it in your mouth and roll it around for a few minutes. THC and CBD can be absorbed through the skin inside your mouth. This works faster than eating, but slower than smoking or vaporizing.

Vaporizers are excellent for asthmatics (my hubby has had asthma since 5). They gently heat the pot, but not to the point of combustion. This releases the THC, but no smoke or combustion products. THC is a bronchodilator- it opens your lungs. It's just the smoke itself that will mess you up- not the THC!

Bronchodilator effect of delta1-tetrahydrocannabinol. (full - 1978)
    Bronchodilator effect of delta1-tetrahydrocannabinol.

A vaporizer allows you to get the benefits without any smoke! Also vaporizers use less to get the same effect. Dosage is very easy to control since the effects take place in a minute or two! Vaporizers also smell less than smoking, which may or may not be a factor for you.

If you click that first link in my sig, and scroll down to "Methods of Use- Vaporizers" there are studies and articles about the health benefits of using a vape. Mine is a Vapor Brothers- small, no moving parts to break, easy to use.

For day use, ask about high CBD/cannabidiol strains. They have less of a high, but still are great medically. Actually, "The nonpsychoactive cannabis constituent cannabidiol is a wake-inducing agent", so it is perfect for when you don't need the THC drowsiness.

Night time, indica or indica dominant will help you sleep. I'd try an indica dominant, to take a bit of the THC edge off.

Hope that helps!

Granny

3. Thanks everyone for all the great information.