Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Slang word origins and meanings

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by DragonMage, Oct 5, 2010.

1. This is a question about word origins and changed meanings of words.

First off, where did the term schwag or shwag come from?

Secondly, why are so many negative words used to imply a positive meaning? I cringe every time I see something called bad, ill, sick, dank, dope etc.

I know, I know, it's a growing trend these days. I just want to understand why.

2. Not sure where the term came from, I'm guessing it just sounds like something that's not very good/cheap (EX. People call free T-Shirts from concerts and such "Schwag") It really just sounds fitting to me. Kinda like "Sketchy".

As for the others,

Bad: I've always hated when people use this because it's too easily confused with it's actual meaning. I haven't heard it used (by anyone worth anything) in years.

Ill: I'm okay with certain people using it, as long as it sounds right when they use it.

Sick: Again, I'm ok with the right type of people using this.

Dank: While dank could be a negative for something besides weed, I feel like it describes good weed very well.

Dope: Has to be the right person using it.

3. for real schwag sounds stupid to me, and dank sounds like some nickelodeon word they made up to increase popularity and some teen pot heads were watching Victorious or Zoey 101 (LOL!), ill and sick just sound like some new yourk shit in miami we say good herb is "fire" or "It smokes"