skills for a post modern world.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Dreadlocker, Mar 28, 2012.

1. so , as you all may or may not yet realize. our world is fucked, we are not going to be able to sustain our current ways for long. (i cant put a time frame on it, or even declare i will be alive to see it) but at some point our world is gonna NEED to undergo some drastic changes. when that happens, what sort of skills do you possess that will help you make it?

myself, i am an outdoorsman. My ability to navigate remote wilderness areas, gather food, fish, and to a lesser extent hunt and trap, and live for extended periods outdoors in any climate (including extreme winter) should help me out. If shit were to ever hit the fan, I know where I would be headed, with a large collection of seeds in my pack to start a garden, and live with the land the way humans evolved to do, before this great age of technology.

im not a hoarded of cans of food, im a hoarder of knowledge how to produce and aquire food that is readily available here on earth.

pair that up with some trips to the city (with a gun of course). :p

2. I'm in the same boat as you. Ive pretty much been in the wilderness and studying it since i was about 7. Through camping trips and trips out to various mountain ranges I've picked up a lot of useful information on how to survive on your own in harsh environments, including below zero temperatures.

3. #3 SmokinJoe420, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
    I'm something of a survival expert too...

[​IMG]

4. Honestly, I think as time goes on, atleast in first world countries like this, wilderness skills are becoming less and less necessary. In fact, I think the opposite is true. I think you need skills that aren't labor intensive, as a lot of those jobs are done through manufacturing.

I also don't see a cataclysmic event happening in the near future. It's human nature to think that the period of time we live in is more significant than most others. People of every generation, pretty much, have felt that way.

Edit: So I don't necessarily agree that our world is "fucked". In fact, I think a lot of people fail to appreciate how easy we have it compared to our ancestors. They'd likely think we're spoiled and whiny.

5. i think its u who isnt gettin the big picture.

ask anyone who has a complex understanding of ecosytems how well the earth is doing.

6. I have a crazy ass survivalist kit I've been working on "Just in Case"

Got shit like heirloom seeds, corn, water purifier tablets, books on plants and edible plants. Books on how to Hunt and skin for food.

SO much shit. I didn't even skim the top of my kit lol

7. I grow my own food, own a farm, have animals i take care of. I grow my own fruit trees, i practice botony, i have a teaching degree, i can build cars and fix them, work on motorcycles, fix computers and hack. I custom build computers and hack games/consoles. I repair and restore firearms from welding to cutting trees and turning them into lumber i can do that. I know the anatomy of the human body and have doctors in my family so ive known alternative medicine for years. I make things like knives, anything you can fathom out of wood. I know electrical, how to build houses and shelters, how to survive in the woods, skin an animal, hunt anything, make fires with nothing more than sticks. I grew up in the mountains.

My brain is a dictionary/thesaurus/hard drive. I have a photographic memory and retain almost everything ive ever seen or heard. I only have to close my eyes to rewind and replay the entire experience. I can make alcohol, know how to store food, know many martial arts from boxing to jujitsu, from karate to kung fu, mixed martial arts. Im a natural born leader and a thinker.

I know how to make and set traps and because i grew up with nutcases im a master of manipulation, plus speak a few languages well enough to communicate.

I also collect firearms and have been stocking up on supplies for years and years. I plan my life years in advance and am extremely disciplined. Im also loyal. Not sure what else could be required.

8. i'll just manipulate others until i've gained enough from them and then kill em.

9. [quote name='"Makizushi"']i'll just manipulate others until i've gained enough from them and then kill em.[/quote]

Option B

10. So, you're a politician?

11. i will bring friendship abroad this survival trip!

12. I'm down for a survival trip.

----I have my mushroom spores and cannabis seeds all ready for the end of the world! Only need those and my ka-bar and I can rule the world yeah?

13. I don't have any skills that would help me survive without the typical mundane things that help me live now.

You know how when you have a house pet and you give them food and attention..and you know how if you let that house pet in the wild it would probably die within the first week..well i'm that house pet. Haha
    :cool:

14. I can diagnose and fix cars. That's about it for me.

15. I honestly think we'll be using an alternative energy long before the earth is uninhabitable.

I don't see us using fossil fuels for more than another 100 years or so max. Thats debateable of course, as whether or not 100 years is enough time for us to 'hold on', but I think we'll be okay.

16. programming and kendo

17. not too mention humble. :rolleyes:

18. Isnt a thread about being humble. Its a thread about your survival skills. Learn to read or gtfo off the thread.

19. [quote name='"pokesmot247"']I grow my own food, own a farm, have animals i take care of. I grow my own fruit trees, i practice botony, i have a teaching degree, i can build cars and fix them, work on motorcycles, fix computers and hack. I custom build computers and hack games/consoles. I repair and restore firearms from welding to cutting trees and turning them into lumber i can do that. I know the anatomy of the human body and have doctors in my family so ive known alternative medicine for years. I make things like knives, anything you can fathom out of wood. I know electrical, how to build houses and shelters, how to survive in the woods, skin an animal, hunt anything, make fires with nothing more than sticks. I grew up in the mountains.

My brain is a dictionary/thesaurus/hard drive. I have a photographic memory and retain almost everything ive ever seen or heard. I only have to close my eyes to rewind and replay the entire experience. I can make alcohol, know how to store food, know many martial arts from boxing to jujitsu, from karate to kung fu, mixed martial arts. Im a natural born leader and a thinker.

I know how to make and set traps and because i grew up with nutcases im a master of manipulation, plus speak a few languages well enough to communicate.

I also collect firearms and have been stocking up on supplies for years and years. I plan my life years in advance and am extremely disciplined. Im also loyal. Not sure what else could be required.[/quote]

You sir are an interesting man. You could replace the dos eques guy.

20. Food, ammo/gun/bow/weapon for hunting, gas mask, lol, shelter, and clean water is all you need. The rest are luxuries imo.