Ska

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by JR123, Dec 17, 2007.

1. im tired of listening to the same stuff on my ipod so its time for new music. i seem to have run out of new reggae that i havent heard so i want to check out some ska. right now all i have is fishbone. so what is some good ska to check out

2. streetlight manifesto
    sublime
    less than jake
    the toasters
    Big D and the kids table
    Westbound Train
    Catch 22

that should hold you over for a while :D

3. Rx Bandits
    Reel Big Fish

4. The Aquabats
    Operation Ivy
    Common Rider
    Mustard Plug
    Five Iron Frenzy
    Leftover Crack
    Mad Caddies
    Mu330
    Suicide Machines
    The Planet Smashers

Op Ivy is amazing, but i think Streetlight Manifesto is my fav ska band

5. Please listen to Streetlight Manifesto, if you have been listening to reggae they will blow you away. They are the most serious out of most (in my opinion), but I love em all. Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Suicide Machines, Big D and the Kids Table.

6. REAL Ska:

The Skatalities
    Clement Dodd
    Laurel Aitken
    Don Drummond
    Justin Hinds and the Dominoes
    Derrik Morgan
    Rico Rodriguez
    Prince Buster
    The Pioneers

7. Mad Caddies - Duck And Cover

really nice album :)

8. i have to say your list holds the most weight with me because of the great lists you have put up for people wanting reggae. but i will check it all out. thanks a bunch you guys i knew the city would be a good place to ask for music

9. Thanks man. Just so you know, my list has Ska artists from the 50's-70's. The other lists have mostly modern stuff, and there is nothing wrong with that, but most of it is heavily rock influenced Ska. To really learn about a genre you gotta check out the Roots of the music (and in this case the original artists are worlds ahead of those who play play "Ska" today).

I think you should totally check out all the other artists listed, but maybe give the ones I said a listen first. It would be like listening to Funk without first hearing James Brown, Parliament Funkadelic, and Sly Stone. Or listening to the Blues without hearing Robert Johnson and W.C. Handy.

Again, you gotta know the roots of the music. Happy Listening! :wave:

10. Check out The Slackers, they rule hard.

11. the specials

their first album is the essential ska album.

12. i really like ska and would like to get more. only stuff i have that could be considered ska is less than jake, rx bandits, mighty mighty bosstones, mustard plug, suicide machines, reel big fish.

13. Everyone listed the good stuff like streetlight, sublime, catch, mustard plug, etc.
    I say check out The Johnstones, The Catch It Kebabs, The Bananas, and the NYC Ska Xchange.

14. Oh man and please don't forget the dudes in Bomb The Music Industry. Thats some good third wave. Very creative. Albums are free on bombthemusicindustry.com. And no...I'm not advertising...I just love those dudes.

15. The Aquabats, Hepcat, The Heptones, the Uptones, Inspecter 7, JFK and the Conspirators, The Pietasters, Ska-P, Spunge, and I really do think Streetlight Manifesto is essential, toots and the maytals, The ethiopians, The English beat, The Selecter, Madness, Lets go Bowling.
    get to listening. haha

16. BTMI is the fucken shit man. haha

17. Reel Big Fish
    Less Than Jake
    IllScarlett
    The Next Best Thing
    The Aquabats
    The Toasters
    The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

I just recently found IllScarlett and The Next Best Thing

I definitely recommend them

18. op ivy, leftover crack, choking victim, the blue meanies, nofx, the specials, etc

19. operation ivy
    the slackers
    choking victim
    against all authority
    voodoo glow skulls
    assorted jelly beans
    big d and the kids table
    brain failure
    buck-o-nine
    citizen fish (subhumans singer ska)
    evil empire
    stupid stupid henchmen
    the flatliners
    the gadjits
    the independents (horror ska)
    morning glory
    mustard plug
    skarmy of darkness

my fingers hurt

20. I'm glad people are finally beginning to realize the awesomeness of this band! They definitely increased in popularity after being signed to Stomp, which is sweet. I've listened to them for six years now and have known the boys even longer, I'm so happy they're finally getting what they deserve.