Ska anybody?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Chubigans, Dec 18, 2008.

1. As little as I know about Ska, I'm pretty positive that ISNT ska...

2. #22 jahgonz, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2008
    bouncing souls, and voodoo glow skulls. oldies but goodies.

3. I agree. Like I said though, it is music for a certain mood. And at least when I'm in the mood, i love it. There's not many ska bands around for a reason. But the scene that develops around people that listen to it is amazing. It's pretty similar to punk rock shows. Ska-punk bands have some of the most fun mosh pits ever because of circle pits, high energy, and the crowd is so friendly!

Better than the hardcore scene :p

4. Better than the hardcore scene by far... everyone's actually friendly. Who goes to a show to be mad and spin around with their fists out and get in fights?

Anybody seen The Aquabats live? They're not my favorite ska band but god damn are they fun live. Never gotten so many high-fives.

5. Ireally like Sublime,Expendables and The Toasters.They are all great bands.

6. Oh, I forgot Big D and Kids Table.

Forgot how awesome East Coast ska is...

7. rx bandits
    big d and the kids table
    voodoo glowskulls

8. Ska is the fucking shit. My AIM is SkaStreaks. (I'm never on, but if you tell me you're from GC, we'll have a chat:)) I'm more into ska influenced punk, always looking for a new sound with even a hint of ska in it!

A few of my favs are:
    STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO (best live show ever, seeing them again in ATL Jan 16th!)
    Stuck Lucky (unique ska from Murfreesbourough/Nashville)
    Arrogant Sons of Bitches (RIP)
    Less Than Jake (new album finally back to ska, check it out)
    The Hoodingys (www.myspace.com/hoodingyska)
    and suprisingly, Smash Mouth's first cd has some good ska sound to it.

I'll end it there, otherwise I'd go on forever. I'll leave you guys with a link for some awesome, small-name bands that have a good ska/punk blend. The cd's are hosted on mediafire, so they'r free, check it out! Also, a friend's site with free Dl's.

http://community.livejournal.com/angry_ska/
    http://www.communityrecords.org/

9. LESS THAN JAKE without a doubt my favorite
    Streetlight, Catch 22, Sublime (i see them as more reggae punk though). Big D, Reel Big Fish

10. Hell yeah man, I'm going to go see Streetlight and RBF on the 14th in Cleveland.

Ska is one of my favorite genres

Streetlight Manifesto
    (Old) Aquabats
    Catch 22
    Reel Big Fish
    Big D and the Kids Table
    Flaming Tsunamis
    80HD
    Suburban Legends
    The Toasters

just tons of great talent in some of the better ska bands out there.

11. i used to be into two tone ska for a bit. i still listen to a song by the specials or the english beat every now and then.

12. I've got into the Skatalites a lot lately - check out this, I haven't heard much ska sung by female vocalists. I am a HUGE Specials fan too, and what I like to do best when I love a band is investigate their influences.... The Specials covered this song but I think this is the orginal.

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VmaNh2SyTCs"]YouTube - Doreen Shaffer & the Skatalites - You're wondering now[/ame]

i keep trying to embed the video but i just cant seem to make it work :(.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VmaNh2SyTCs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VmaNh2SyTCs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. rofl i had the same problem. dont embed it, just post the link

14. mmmm, i'm not even going to embarrass myself byy explaining how long it took me to realise that!

15. I'll give props to the Suicide Machines and SKA-P.

16. +9 billion

17. Word son!

Funny because you see alot of skanking at punk/HC shows.

Only that metalcore/deathcore/"post-hardcore" shit you see fist flying and roundhouse kicks.

Or those tuffff guy Metal bands like Madball or Cro-mags etc etc.

18. Wow, your Ska pics largely disappoint me GC.

Prince Buster, The Skatalites, Laurel Aitken, Don Drummond, Toots and the Maytals, Desmond Dekker, The Melodians, Derrick Morgan, THOSE are some real Ska artists right there.

Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish? Thats pop music with an upbeat at best...

19. I fucking love ska. Mostly that crackrocksteady stuff, leftover crack, indk, public serpents, stuff like that. But also dig alot of third wave stuff like assorted jelly beans, voodoo glow skulls, Big d. It's all good though. Something about the chord progression and the basslines just mix well.

20. I love ska and in this town about two hours away form mine they have a skafest thing every year