size of room needed to grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dirtbiker250, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Hey guys im going to start a small time closet grow soon and was wondering im crunched for space so would 40in. by 35in. work for growing and how many plants could i grow in that space the roof is about 6.5 ft. high so going off of that how many plants can i grow

2. Yeah, that's a great space for a grow - over 9 square feet. Number of plants is a huge variable and really just determines how soon you harvest. In your space you could grow just one humongous plant or, say, nine little ones - and a skilled, experienced grower could get the same yield in both cases. Obviously, growing one big plant takes longer than growing a bunch of smaller ones.

My advice would be to first decide how much pot you want from your harvest than work it backwards. Growers benchmark their grows by how many grams per watt were harvested. A competent grower can yield 1 gram per watt of lighting - the holy grail! Mere mortals like us are lucky to get .5 grams per watt. Note that the number of plants does not enter into the equation.

Let's say you wanted to end up with about a half a pound (say 200 grams). How could you do it? To achieve that goal (assuming you will yield .5 gram per watt) you would need 400 watts of lighting for your space. 400 watts is a little less than 50 watts per square foot of your space but still good. You now have your lighting requirement for your space. The number of plants is determined by how impatient you are. Growing nine plants to yield 200 grams will take less time than growing one plant, but one plant needs less resources (seeds, soil, nutes, etc.) than nine. And sometimes the number of plants plays into sentencing guidelines if you get caught. So it's a compromise (like everything in life) - one plant? four? nine? Only you can decide! Good luck bro!

3. hey man thanks my goal is not high at all if i got a once i would be happy and i think 2 plants sounds like a good number i was going to grow them in a big plastic tub but i was wondering about lighting iv heard the more the better but i dont understand like how many watts would be egnough for my space you said 400watts so just buy a bulb and holder thats draws that much or what

4. So you're thinking of cfl's right? They would be good for your modest goals. HID's need a ballast and a hood and they cost more and you'll have to deal with the lots more heat they put out. For cfl's, 100 watts per plant is definitely a good guideline since cfl's have to be placed close to the plant - sort of draped around surrounding the plant. Have a look at Kamel's CFL sticky thread under 'General Indoor Growing'. You'd be good to go with 4 x 26 watt cfl's for each plant. GL!

5. cool man i was looking into leds as well but iv heard some good and bad things like power draw is a major concern caus of the electric bill and stuff. im probably going to wait a few weeks or mabie a month then il try one or two plants but during the spring im going to try an outdoor grow with all the seeds i got lol like i said im not sellin so i just want to try growing for my own purposes plus i love fresh bud um i love it i love it i love it! haha thanks man im going to check that out now