Size discrimination.

Discussion in 'General' started by BobbyBlaze, Sep 29, 2010.

1. It's not my fault people who don't fit into what most other people want, like to broaden the definition of the word to ensure they are encompassed.

2. I never said I liked big breasts, lips, etc.

My argument is that physical attraction is largely biological.

Your argument says, clearly "What should be considered attractive anyway". The only source telling you what should be attractive is media, and social circles.

Attraction varies around the world.

I never once implied that girls who don't fit a certain cultures impression of what is right, aren't attractive. My personal tastes are even a bit unorthodox.

The cliche of big breasts is overrated anyway. Most of my friends wives do not have big breasts. None of my girlfriends have ever had big breasts.

You clearly, totally miss the point of the argument.

3. My two cents: although it is wrong socially to discriminate against fat people, I do not find it to be morally wrong for one reason. Human beings, naturally, aren't supposed to be fat. Fat, in nature, indicates laziness or the ability to do nothing and still receive food. Which, justifiably, is reason to discriminate against fat people, because we want them to be healthy (but we'd rather make fun of them, as a group mind you).

Now, I don't discriminate against fat people, but I don't feel as if it's wrong for those who choose to to do so.

As far as tall, short, and skinny (naturally, not anorexia) goes, people should shove it. And if they judge you on those factors, fuck them.

4. Actually, in nature, the heaviest creatures per species with the highest fat contents, are generally the most successful and active hunters... no one's there giving them a hand out. That's just nature though.

The nature of human metabolism, and what we require of it, has changed drastically over the years however, and it's left us with an incredible amount of variety.

For instance, a 5 foot tall, skinny rail of a guy, can often sit around all day playing everquest eating 3,000 calories in potato chips dipped in lard in between meals, while another person 6'6" tall with a number of fat deposits, can exercise regularly and limit himself to 700 calories a day, and continue to maintain the same weight.

But you put those two guys side by side, removing their habits, and people automatically assume the worst of the heavy fellow with better habits, and they think the best of the lazier, hungrier, but skinnier guy with the poor habits.

This is where discrimination comes in. On one hand, assuming 'fat is bad', how can you discriminate against a heavier fellow who's done everything right, and still looks the way he does? And on the other hand, how can you tell the skinny kid what he's doing is wrong, when for all intensive purposes, he 'appears' physically fit?

Is it up to you to decide when 'enough is enough' when there seem to be no real consequences, and is it up to you to tell a starving but heavy person to put the fork down, when it's the first time in 24 hours they've even picked it up? If you're skinny you can eat until you're content, but not if you're overweight?

Now ever situation is not the same, but it's still a fools game to pass judgment.

Assuming that it's laziness alone that determines someones medical or physical ability to retain or lose weight, is incredibly short-sighted and fantastically ignorant. Especially considering just about everyone has the skinny friend who cleans out the fridge, and most people have fat friends who they have practically never seen put food to their lips, while the rest of us all fall somewhere in between.

5. I know how it is. Alot of people think I'm a bully because I'm an intimidating guy at 6'2 200lbs apparently, but I'm really a chill guy :confused::(

6. I just know what I like when I see it, can't stop it, so why fight it

7. im fried enough to believe that it was actually confirmed on 420, and that the decision was that off but everyones posts saved my stupidness

8. #88 Trueblade, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010

Yes, 15,000 years ago. Back then, we dealt with stuff like winter famine. Now, we just have to contend with going a week without a sale at the local shopping center.

People back then conserved fat, because they would go long periods without an adequet source of food. So storing fat to say, survive a winter, was a valuable trait.

People these days are not storing fat because there is a famine, or a lack of food. They are storing fat because they eat like fucking pigs. There is no shortage of food in the winter...... We're not storing up to survive an ice age.

We're fat, because we eat to relieve stress, depression, to occupy ourselves, and a million other reasons. We're not eating because we "need" food anymore these days, we're eating for the hell of it.....and we're getting fat.......and unnattractive.

Natural selection works against people with unhealthy habits.

9. You clearly didn't get any further any more than the first sentence in my post... but I suppose that's progress :)

10. No it's alright. Defending yourself when you're wrong, with short grunt style sentences, is normal as well.

Your argument has weight. Then again, I get the feeling a lot of you has weight......

11. Be that as it may BadKitty, this is still a decent rebuttal to the point you were trying to make.

12. His argument isn't so much a rebuttal, where it actually helps mine.

Like I said, our metabolisms are highly unstable, due to our evolution and the drastic change in our environments and what we require out of said environment. Even in the world as it is, there are places where food is abundant, and places where people are starving.

We are developing as a whole, in an incredibly varied environment, and the world is a much smaller place now with travel being so common, people are meeting, mating, mixing and matching races, cultures, and climates, and we're going to have some vast dietary and metabolic variety, but it's still, just, nature.

We are not above nature, just because we try and control it... and just because some of us have, what we see as, little self control, that doesn't define everyone in the same situation.

Simply put and long story short:

Many people are heavy who don't over eat, and many people are slim, who stuff their faces all day long.

I made it short this time, so hopefully you can take the half a moment to read it. Everything else is the why, but the above is more fact than opinion.

Let me rephrase it again: Not everyone is skinny, due to a healthy lifestyle, and not everyone is fat due to an unhealthy one.

Even 'healthy' and 'unhealthy' is a matter of opinion, and while I do like to think we're making some amount of progress as a species, as far as the life of humanity goes, we've never managed to agree on any single pattern as being fit or unfit behavior.

I'm not saying there aren't fat lazy people, who sit around all day eating their faces off, there absolutely are, but there are just as many (if not more, where it's more accepted) skinny lazy people, who can eat us all under the table, who get no exercise, and they look 'fine' while doing.

I'm not even talking about people who have ailments or specific illnesses, I'm talking about the spectrum of people in general, and the fact it's just not logical to assume that everyone can eat the same foods, and maintain the same weight, and function the same way with the same level of efficiency, it just isn't how the human body works. We've evolved differently, slowly, and our world and diet and what is even available for food on a day to day basis changes rapidly even within a single lifetime. Our grandmothers are not eating the veggies they grew up with. We're different, and different people of different backgrounds are mating all the time.

It's like assuming a chihuahua should eat just as much as a wolf hound, or saying that the wold hound should be ashamed of itself for being a pig when the chihuahua eats so little. Or expecting a cross between the two, to only have one or the other of the parents requirements. It's simply ludicrous.

Some people here are making broad generalizations with literally no proof or evidence to back it up, it's not like you're sitting in the kitchen or living room of every waif and heavy guy in the world take notes on their eating habits, all I'm saying is that there are a lot of elements that make such generalizations completely ignorant, and it reflects pretty poorly on the intellect of anyone who really thinks they understand the mechanics behind metabolism or the human body well enough to make statements like those.

Think about it... if it were really that simple, if it was really so easy like you suggest, to toss muscle on a small frame, or slice fat from a heavier one, we'd all easily look like a bunch of photo-shopped freaks.. but we don't, proving that point.
    Our existence, being what it is: IS NATURAL. You can only do so much with the environment and genes you're given.

Even people who have both the dedication, and a clear image of what they -want- to look like, often can do little to nothing about it without surgery or other outside influences, many of which have far worse consequences than being a little heavy.

13. #93 Trueblade, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010

Nearly every single line of your argument is you giving point/counterpoint.

Honestly dude, I'm not even going to argue with you anymore. I think you're a bit of a weirdo, and while you use a lot of large words, and complex sentence structure, I honestly feel that you have NO idea what you're talking about.

The saddest part is, I agree with much of what you say. But you approached this entirely the wrong way.

14. and

So you delete posts, edit your posts, and resort to name calling to prove your point. In a way that is somewhat childish on my part, that's a win in my books :)

The reason you do agree as your edit states, is because you can infer that I'm actually making a good point by -not making a point-.
    I don't feel strongly either way whether it's environment and genes, or lack of self control, and I'm not blaming or pointing fingers at people with either appearance or potential health problems, like some.... :)

15. So I deleted a part of a post?

I deleted it, to save it for a later post. I said I agree with much of what you say.

The fact that you're obsessive enough to quickly check, save, and repost edits, is kind of weird in and of itself.

I do agree with many of your points. It does not change the fact that I think while some of your points are correct, you're entire theory is wrong.

I believe, that was what I edited out, wasn't it?