Sixth Grade Assignment: Destroy the Bill of Rights

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 472633, Oct 8, 2013.

1. http://www.infowars.com/sixth-grade-assignment-destroy-the-bill-of-rights/
    This isn't the first attack on the Bill of Rights in the public school system.
    Last month, school textbook authors inaccurately defined the Second Amendment as “the right to keep and bear arms in a state militia.”
    This trend will continue as the federal government consolidates their control over the minds of children through the Common Core curriculum.
    </blockquote> 

2. Just more fear mongering bullshit from a non credible website. :(

3. What a shame

4. to be fair, i read this earlier from an actual news site. i'd try to find the link.... but it's not that much different. just a little less sensational

Perhaps so, but that doesn't make this site credible nor change the fear mongering stance of it.  The Bill of Rights is quite old.  I'm certainly not saying it should be rewritten, but having kids basically act as founding fathers and changing it to fit more modern times isn't the opposite of educational.  As you stated, this is quite sensationalist.  Fearing such projects in a few random schools is a massive waste of time and energy.

6. well yeah I agree that infowars is not credible. the story is real though. it's not that I have completely dismissed infowars because of some sort of political bias. I just don't like when I find that Alex Jones flat out lies. That makes me wonder about the rest of the organization.

it's too late to change anything. the bill of rights has already been destroyed immediately subsequent to 9/11/01

there's literally nothing in the bill of rights that needs to be altered. as for the rest of the constitution, that's up for debate.

7. #7 RippedMonk, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

The fact that the teacher wants 2 amendments rewritten with the war on terror and patriot act in mind, perhaps the teacher will reveal to the students through the project how wrong they have been to us and our constitution.  I still believe this entire story is nothing but sensationalist crap.  Which seems to be the pattern of media in general today and has always been the pattern of human shit like Alex Jones.

By the way, I dig your new avatar.  DG is the man.

8. #8 Lenny., Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    Yeah, you know. I hate to jump to conclusions. It could turn out to be a great mental exercise. It could turn out to be a shit assignment. Not enough to get my panties in a bunch.

Also thanks~I started playing drums because of him. And then Kurt killed himself so I started doing guitar.
    Wish I still had my drum kit though

9. To me it sounds more like getting the kids to research their rights and understand just what has been done to them over the last dozen years or so.

That's what I thought too, and that's certainly more educational than half the shit they teach these days.  Therefore, I see no problem with this assignment.  But the fear mongers won't be able to leave it alone.

11. When you have a government capable of assassinating its own citizens it doesn't take much to be called a fear monger.

12. Every government in history has been pretty capable of assassinating its own citizens though.  The true fear mongers have always been more than obvious.

13. #13 Mairuzu, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
    Well since you put it that way then it clearly doesn't take anything to be called a fear monger when you're living in fear of those governing you. 

All it requires is a coercive government, which is basically all of them since they subject their unborn to such a contract. 

14. It's a label, so yes it is easy to call anyone a fear monger.  Still there is a clear difference between say myself and Alex Jones or Glenn Beck.

15. True, there are definitely degrees to it. Some take conspiracies as hard core truth and run with it. 

16. Once again James does it posting articles with titles making me either instantly say "Oh here we go" or laugh out loud or yell "Ohh fuck noooo"

This is a definite precursor to the notion that in the 21st century, leaders will try to make us "safer" by having the ability to survey and/or control us in extremely personal and varied ways.

It is a two way street, though, because in the right or the wrong hands these powers make a big difference. Like a sheriff who for his town speeds up the hands of justice by investigating and getting "dirty" .. or a corrupt corporate global bureaucratic system controlling and unempowering our lives?

17. #17 lilro, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
    It's hard not to fear monger in this day and age. The US govt is up to some crazy shit. When foreigners are being held hostage at gunpoint by park police and people are being kicked out of their homes over a bullshit selective federal employment furlough, it gets worrisome.

I don't disagree, other than the fact I already made that not all that much has changed.  People have never been able to and shouldn't completely trust their governments.  That and it is still very important to understand which fear mongering has truth to it.  This day and age media never reveals the whole truth.

19. i dont see a damn thing wrong with it.  in fact, i went to high school in Cabot, which is about 30 mins north of Bryant and i'm pretty sure we did a similar assignment in 9th grade civics class.

20. excellent, condition the children at a young age, destroy their individuality and thinking for them selves, we dont want that. We want obedient conformist drones for the consumer culture. smart enough to run the machines and yet dumb enough to not realize that the big dick is pushing it self ever deeper into their tiny assholes.