Six weeks into flowering, problems!! daaammn

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by vittujoo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ok so my girls are in hempy buckets (should not be able to over feed them, or...?). anyways I'm giving them every second day nutrients with the lucas formula, and for the last 7-10 days I've seen yellowing of leaves and it hasnt gotten better eventho i've added on mg and zn. The Ph is always around 5.5 when i do add nutrients, (I add so that the resulting ph is 5.8) but after two days its always lower which would suggest it needs more nutes, correct?
    lately leaf tips are turning reddish/burnt so i would assume i'm overfeeding, which all other evidence says im not?? but I do add nutes every time i water (which is every 2nd day) so i reallly dont know. I'm starting to think im killing the plants and i dont know if i should add nutes or remove nutes.. :(

pls help guys!

Here pics, in the background another plant which is looking "normal green"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. It doesn't look as bad as you say, but I would give less nutes if anything. Are you measuring your PPM? If so, how high are your PPM when you feed? Try giving it a flush of fresh RO water around PH 6.0-6.5. If you don't notice a difference, or still want to try something else you can really flush them with a leaching agent like Clearex. Your girls will love you and are still getting plenty of nutrients. I would feed every other day if you want, but make sure to throw in a flush here and there and I would try and only feed three days out of seven per week. That way you can make sure to get a flush in or I also like to give them compost tea and RO on those flush days as well.

3. i unfortunately do not have a ppm meter.. its the only thing i didnt invest in. (first grow) but it would really help at the moment.. I think I will try flushing the plant which is most damaged with just ph 6.0 water and give half nutes to the other ones, if i see the bad one get beeter then it must have been overfeed if it just gets worse then i guess its back to the nutes, right?

4. u have locked the nitrogen

just keep the ph between 6.5 to 7.0 no less no more ;)

5. i think they are supose to do that.its six weeks, so you got a little more to go.

6. Did I understand you correctly that you are adjusting your PH with nutes? If so, that is not the way to do it. You should get a PPM meter to get a reading of your fresh water, then mix in nutes to the appropriate amount (determined by again testing with the PPM meter or less accurately by following the dosing chart on the bottle). Once this is done THEN you should test your PH and adjust using PH DOWN/UP. If you have hard water your PH will shift (causing it to go up). Nutes tend to be on the acidic side so if its dipping low then that does not necessarily indicate that you are using too little.

7. Actually the general consensus is that the recommended PH should be between 5.5 and 6.5

8. yeah i agree with halfa, near the end of flowering leafs tend to do that due to lack of nitrogen, its natural for the plant to do this.

9. That is my guide as well, I don't go over 6.0 PH. :smoke:

10. #10 vittujoo, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010

yea, i think hempy buckets ideal ph is 5.8. JollyStoner: no, i adjust ph with ph up and ph down, not with nutes :) i did express myself a little funny, i admit.
    I have two plants in veg for the 5th week and theyre getting the same nutes as the ones 6 weeks into flowering so its funny it would be nutrient overdose..(?)
    is it really supposed to be normal that the plant gets yellow in week 6-7? its hard for me to think it would be nitrogen def, unless it happens normally to a plant eventho there is nitrogen present.

11. is there any consensus now on whether i should add or remove nutes?

12. what r u growing?how long should it flower?if its a 8 -10 week flowering strain than it should be doing that because its life is coming to an end,do not add anymore N.Let it use its leafs.If you add N it will slow down bud production and you dont want that.

13. There's absolutly nothing wrong with that plant; Fan leaves are meant to go yellow in late flowering as the plant cannibalises Nitrogen from its reserves.

It doesnt need N during the flowering stage becuase of this, and heavy amounts of N would actually slow the flowering process.

EDIT: bah, Halfa380 posted like 1 minute before me, as i was typing, but also got it spot on, +rep for you :D

14. Listen to Joe...Your plants are healthy and fine. You are really at risk not using a ppm pen to adjust your nutes. Using nutes to adjust ph is not proper and will lead to salt buildup. Those bottle recommends are purely a guide and not absolute.
    A ph of 5.8 is correct for hydro and is perfectly OK to fluctuate some as the roots use different nutes/trace elements better at different ph levels.

15. ok, thanks for your replies. I guess i will ccontinue doing what I've done until now.
    This is my first grow. its seeds I got from smoking hermie and i put two seeds in different pots, they turned out female to my surprise (thought they would hermie), I guess its an 8 week flowering strain.
    I also have some new citral city, herijuana and anesthesia, which are doing fine. They are also in the sixth week of flower but not doing these yellow leaves, thats why i got concerned.

16. The plant in the pics deffiently looks like an Indica dominant strain, so the finishing time will be short, but I'm surprised the other plants you have aren't at the same stage of maturity, they're also indica dominant i think.

17. bud-wise they are at the same stage (approx 10% of pistils are brown) but the leaves are not nearly as yellow as on this one..

18. #18 halfa380, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
    For example I have 3 plants.3 vegged the same amount of time.Put in the flowering at the same time.but 1 of em had problems from the begining. Stuned for a month. after the switch ph issue.Its taller then the rest, but will be harvested last because the ph issue kind of set it back a week.But anyway you should judge by the color of the trichome when to harvest.but the point im trying to make is even though they are the same strain, same nutes same everything, but all three of em behave differently.1 of em is still green rest are yelowing which makes me think that during veg she saved up more N than the rest.

19. how do i know from the trichomes? i tought i judge by pistils when theyre ready?

20. well trichomes are on pistils. You need a 30x magnifying something like a microscope or a lense.the trichomes are 50 cloudy 50 amber then its a good time to harvest but if they are 50 cloudy 50 clear its still early.