Sirtoots cannaventure

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Sirtootsalot, May 30, 2018.

1. Looks like it’s gonna be some dense nugs. Looks great.

2. I hope so, that's also why I'm taking them for ten weeks this run. In the past ive run strains that have a second push later in flowering and can really plump out. I'm hoping some of these might have that tendency. The first time I ran the lemon banana it felt like I took it too early.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Plants give out lots of sign when they are ready. The buds become hard and change color. All the hairs turn brown and receed into the bud. Most importantly the trichomes become cloudy and few turn amber. Also I noticed in the end they stop drinking. It is really hard to screw up since there are so many things that tell you they are ready. But if you keep pushing even after the plant has stopped drinking, all the trichomes will eventually turn amber and become darker in color detiorating with each passing day.

4. Agreed, all that's very true. I was speaking more towards the second growth spurt that some strains can do late in flower as part of the ripening process, but before ambering too much. I dont know if it's a sativa thing, or just certain strains, but I ran a strain for about ten years that had this tendency and it was super cool to watch. Used to give forearm sized colas.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. I had a sativa dominant hybrid in my last grow that did this. She was thin and lanky until the 6th week, after that she started packing some serious weight and trichomes. She finished strong. I understand what you are saying. If she is a sativa dom hybrid she might put in some more weight in the final weeks.
    Happy growing!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes exactly, always wondered if that was just a regional landrace thing, or if its specific to sativas, or none of the above. What a cool plant, right.

7. Absolutely, they are awesome plants. On a different topic, What’s your opinion on defoliation? From the pictures, I am suspecting you also do a lot of defoliation. I am also a huge defoliator. I don’t if we have any such word, Lol! but I pluck any leaves which even comes close to blocking lights to the buds. I have never tried not defoliating. So I wonder what the final results are without defoliation. What are your thoughts?

8. #48 Sirtootsalot, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Great question, and one we'd probably get a million answers to if we asked the forum, lol. I do heavy cleanings in veg, and clean up a lot right before I switch lights. I read somewhere that after the first week of flower it might not be beneficial because it messes with the hormonal balance of the plant. Now the guy might have been full of shit, but it made sense to me because its sorta like puberty in nature, and God knows hormones freak out in animals, so I just figured I'd stick to that until I read or heard something to the contrary. Dont think there's one right answer because these plants are so resilient you can beat em up so much and still have em produce.
    Something else that probably factors into the question is your space. I think it's real important for cabinet growers to do it because you need light to penetrate through your canopy, and it's easy to have some big fan leaves do a big fuck you to your lights. These guys growing trees with big headroom will never have to care about that.
    *edit wanted to also add that I let them go a while before I touch them because they aren't as strong early on. After the roots have been established, they can take the stress of losing leaves and bounce back like a pimp.

9. So today I pulled open the branches of the puna kea to expose more of its center buds. I found out that this is 50 % a sour diesel cut that made it to the islands in 96. Excited to see what this beast of a plant is going to smoke like. 20180820_210506.jpg 20180820_210511.jpg Everything is still going well.
    20180820_210529.jpg
    20180820_210524.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tried the Photoshop editor for the phone to color correct the pictures because I hate the yellow HPS pictures. Yeah, not much better. lol
    PSX_20180822_214550.jpg PSX_20180822_214703.jpg PSX_20180822_214746.jpg
    PSX_20180822_214626.jpg
    Puna kea 2
    PSX_20180822_214833.jpg
    Lemon banana sherbet
    PSX_20180822_214907.jpg
    cactus
    PSX_20180822_214934.jpg
    Dog trap

11. How about the result under the HPS?

12. #53 Sirtootsalot, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Same thing, just with more orange. Only thing I did was change the picture color to try to make the pictures less obnoxious. It didn't work, they're still obnoxious. I'm gonna try to keep doing lights off pics, but truth be told, I'm probably going to get lazy and keep posting orange pictures.

*edit- realized you might have thought I was saying I used a different light. It's always been the same light, I was just trying to fix the orange in the pictures.
    I'm going to have to get another light for my small 3 plant breeder box that I'm constructing, but for now I'm just gonna put a CFL in there until I can afford something more permanent.

13. #54 Sirtootsalot, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    New res change, this time I top fed with real growers resolve, I heard its touchy with recirculating reservoirs, so we'll find out if they are happy with the new food tomorrow. I ran out of prime and hadn't been supplementing with anything, and of course they're fine, but I thought now is when they'll be developing flavors and resin, so i figured adding some more humic, fulvic, molasses and fungi would feed the roots for some flavor. The guy at the hydro shop gave me a 5 gallon freebie in case this doesn't work out so I can take the resolve back if this mucks up my res. I put the 5 gallons worth in 2 gallons and fed the hugo cubes directly.

*Edit- I've usually found molasses is a big no no in hydro, but I've read that they've made it in a soluble form, so it should feed the fungi and be rad. Others seem to like it, so we'll see if it works in this set up..

14. Now there's a sad sight... the last nuggs from my previous Harvest. It will not last the weekend. Back to dispensary shite for a few weeks. Hope this is the last time i have to buy weed unless I'm traveling. 20180824_183006.jpg

15. Everything seems to be well with the reservoir. Finally managed to get a half picture of the Clementine, it's a shorter plant and has been hidden behind the canopy in the corner and it's hard to get to. buds aren't huge yet, so I hope it gets a spurt soon. 20180824_183738.jpg
    20180824_183736.jpg
    Clemantine
    20180824_183607.jpg
    Dog trap
    20180824_183653.jpg
    Cactus
    20180824_183659.jpg
    Cactus again
    20180824_183546.jpg
    Puna kea 2

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. You are going to go through all that over the weekend? I thought i smoked a lot. Those will be really tasty. One thing I have noticed is the longer you cure the buds, the flavorful it becomes. When I reach the end of my stash, it feels it has become 10 folds better and you start missing it even before it’s finished. Enjoy the last of your smoke.
    Puff Puff Pass! :passing-joint:

17. #58 Sirtootsalot, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Preach to me brother, really not looking forward to it being gone lol. And yes, I tend to smoke a likkle bit, but to be fair my wife smokes with me too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I know I take lots of pics, but I want to keep a visual diary to remember these plants to compare for the future. They're starting to plump up a bit, but still a long way. 20180826_202110.jpg 20180826_202058.jpg 20180826_202047.jpg 20180826_202041.jpg 20180826_202033.jpg 20180826_202028.jpg 20180826_202023.jpg

19. 20180827_162717.jpg Ok, so I'm starting some more love.show me some lady parts!
    Pina rita
    Galactic jack
    Lifesaver
    Strawberry cough

• Like Like x 2