Sin Tra Bajo - 1st Grow - Homemade LED Lighting setup

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by soulcallie, Mar 6, 2016.

1. This is my first grow, any advice welcome, please don't be offended if end up doing something else, I learn best for my mistakes. I'm fairly researched, but there is nothing like hands on experience so i'm all ears!

I'm actually on day 22 from germination- you can check out the lighting set-up and the early stages of plant growth here:

LED setup idea

Setup Overview

1 x Barney's Sin Tra Bajo Auto

Enclosure:
    600x600x1400mm Black Orchid grow tent

Lighting:
    • 14no. LED Bulbs 8.7w Each - see link above for more details
    • 20/4 Cycle
    Ventilation:

• Not purchased yet (but thinking of a 4 inch inline fan with carbon filter)
      • Small USB powered fan
    Growing Medium
      • Homebase Multi Purpose Compost
      • Perlite
      • Using a 70/30 Mix

• Like Like x 1
  2. Day -1

[​IMG]

Soaked for 24h until a tiny tap root emerged (in darkness)

Day 1 (13/02/16)

Once out of the water, carefully put the tap root into an enlarged hole in a soaked root riot cube (tap root down) after around 24h in there it looked like this

[​IMG]

Day 3

Sprout emerged, cube transferred to larger pot with seeding compost. At this point the plant is under 5no. Cool white led bulbs.

[​IMG]

Day 13

Transferred to a larger pot - I kinda screwed up this whole process because I forgot to mix in the perlite into the soil in the larger pot , but I had already taken the plant out of the smaller pot so I had to put it in my bathroom basin add a base layer of soil to cushion the roots while I mix in the perlite - I exposed roots to light and probably damage the the roots from being handled etc.

[​IMG]

After that train wreck. The plant started to droop wasn't sure what to do so I flushed the soil and the next day it had seems to do the trick and soon enough it started the perk up again.

Day 16

[​IMG]

The bottom leaves are turning yellow at this point. But the rest seemed healthy so I left it how it was, because I did a flush the soil was pretty heavily watered so I didn't want to add/change anything as I wanted the plant to have some time to adjust.

Day 21

[​IMG]

The plant steadily started to grow over the past week, bottom leaves still yellow, checked plant before heading to work and the pot was was feather light, soil was bone dry. Watered it and now it looks like this;

Day 22

[​IMG]

I think at this point the plant is robust and strong to handle any remedial measured, as I'm not sure how bad these yellow leaves are. I tested the water run odd PH and it was around 5.9; managed to get hold of some dolomite line and added to my to my watering mix to help elevate the PH to the 6.0 range

Basically this is where the journal starts, I'm a bit worried about yellow leaves, I've read that this is due to nitrogen deficiency. I'm thinking of upping the fertiliser dose to aid a boost in nitrogen on my next feed. Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks for reading. Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Subbed up bro

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. This was such a nice little flower, up until 3h ago, I've decided to supercrop.... Just hope I haven't screwed this up

Bent the main stem and topped it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea was to bend the main stem to the opposite side of the strongest side stem so to create 2 main stems.

Topped it cos I got the taste of blood and wanted more main stems.

5. Day 28

[​IMG]

Defiantly more bushy and the lower leaves are growing to make a level canopy.

Not sure but I think the plant looks a lot shorter then it should be? ive moved the light a bit further away from her today after watering in the hope that it stretches a bit (about 1m gap now whereas before it was around 20cm) the layers of nodes seem very dense.

Also, I'm thinking of switching the lights to predominantly warm white soon, as it looks like the plant is close to flowering... I want to aid the veg cycle for as long as possible so I have the cool whites in there ATM but thinking of switching next week (week 5) which would be around half way through the 70day grow time in breeder specs.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nice :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

7. Mines are the same height right now and I'd peeflowerin g it will double in wouldn't worry about it

Sent from my SM-N900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Great job keep us updated

9. Thanks man

After moving the light further away I found that the plant wasn't growing as much it was 1m away and she didn't seem to respond maybe it's because of my LEDs at not powerful enough. On day 33 I moved the lights closer and did some more LST pics below.

Day 33

[​IMG]

Day 34

[​IMG]

She responded, can see around 7 main flowers nodes.... Not sure what that means but I'm gonna let the plant run it's course now and with minimal training and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Subbed should have some sin tra bajo on the way myself.

"carpe diem"

• Like Like x 3
  11. That's awesome

• Like Like x 2
  12. Some development on the lighting front...

[​IMG]

They are 27w grow led bulbs from china . Thought I'd plug em in and see how it goes. I just realised that the plant has been in flower for quite a while.. noob move. Didn't realise she would flower so quick. The plan was to switch to these led grow lights in flower phase so I'm prob 2weeks to late, but I guess better late then never...

[​IMG]

I was also feeding her with veg fert until last feed, now switching to a bloom fert.

[​IMG]

Btw, I'm a bit worried about how the plant is growing: since LST the main stem is now growing at a sort of angle, and most of the main shouts are to one side of the pot any ideas in how I can make the canopy more of an even spread?

Thanks for reading

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wouldn't bother since it if flowering now but in the future grows you should place streast and both sides when you bent it you should have bent it for the other side also to get an even canopy..

• Like Like x 2
  14. I would advise to pluck off five fan leaves a day to get better light Penetration

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nothing much you can do now I hope she stretches. Maybe lower the lights on the side where the plant is lower.

"carpe diem"

• Like Like x 2
  16. Seems to have perked up this morning after watering yday, thanks for the feedback blades ^^^

Pucked off a couple fan leaves and lowered the lights on one side. Can't really tell from the pic. But here it is anyway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See how it goes...

"this is so bad, it's back to good again"

• Like Like x 2
  17. Quick update peeps

Day 43

She's stopped growing the past week, kind of a shame as I really wanted it go get a bit taller. But all the LST and topping I think I kinda inhibited growth a bit lesson learnt the hard way I guess.

Anyway I can see the buds sites starting to swell can smell a hint of the classic mj smell

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Quite a way to go; probably a month more.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Yeah about 4 weeks

• Like Like x 1
  20. #20 soulcallie, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Day 50

This past week I've just been watering/feeding as normal once every two days... Not much to show: some leaves have been burned, I think it may be because the coloured LED grow lights we too close and the parts of the leaf that are burned/discoloured were only getting the red spectrum of light... not really sure about that one. Lol. Far as I'm aware plant looks fine otherwise.

I think the buds are getting bigger... But can't really tell too much change.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

d

• Like Like x 2