Simplicity

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by g0pher, Mar 8, 2008.

1. As I browse the multitude of threads, topics and opinions, I am struck by endless complexities of people's thoughts regarding existence. The wildly divergent paths that are asserted with such conviction and passion baffle me. I am also struck by how easily people support or assert conflicting perspectives as they move from thread to thread. So, I ask, what are people's criteria for accepting the beliefs they have? What constitutes an authoritative Source of your beliefs?

I have spent the past 10 years in the sincere investigation of many paths and disciplines. I have read many of the stories, accounts, myths, and revelations that are referenced in these various threads, the vast majority of which are lacking in plausibility. I often ponder the inclination of the human mind to generate fictional and imaginary works for the purpose of entertainment.. then, I wonder, have we blurred the line between fact and fantasy. A disturbingly obvious characteristic of “new-age spiritualism”, is that very few people challenge the validity of writings or beliefs that, themselves, challenge the mind's standards for validity. It is a “feel-good” mentality that allows everyone to pat each other on the back, smile and nod approvingly.. all the while thinking, “what a load of bullshit. We really dilute authentic spiritual pursuits through this “politically correct” pandering to whatever “floats your boat”.

I know it's not “nice” to pick at someone's beliefs, but.. it is much more dangerous to watch your brothers and sisters stumble around in a jungle of conflicting concepts that, when studied with clarity and without attachment, cannot be demonstrated as functional, beneficial, and self-evident.. If someone were to set-up a flow-chart with the heading of “Spirituality” and structure it in a “tree” format, it would be a most complex and conflicting, and extraordinarily large chart. I know, I tried this a few years back. Under Spirituality there were sub-headings of religions, philosophies, legends and myths, paranormal beliefs, and unclassified conceptual processes. To detail the majority of the planet's belief systems was quickly revealed to be very complex and quite large. As I worked on this chart it occurred to me that many belief systems conflicted radically with others, so I color-coded the conflicting systems.. I ran out of colors in the first 4 tiers of the chart (I got as far as 8 tiers). What was interesting was the few that survived the first 4 tiers without getting colored had a single common element, Simplicity. These survivors had a very self-evident quality, as I looked at my effort I was able to say, “that make's sense”..

As I review my experiences, my spiritual pursuits, and my formulated beliefs.. I have come to the conclusion that the Universe is far too large to be complex. I have come to understand, through first-hand experience, that existence is simple compared to the vast landscape of “Spirituality”. Much of the experience asserted as “spiritual” lacks a reasoned conclusion, verifiable evidence, or the ability to produce a duplicate conclusion by independent observation. This is where science steps up to the plate and offers a verifiable model of existence that has as much, if not more, “mystical” potential that even the “spiritual” landscape, and.. it includes processes that can explain much that has been considered “mystical and unexplainable”.

The observed effect of human consciousness in formation of the basic construction of existence, quantum physics, suggests that we actually do create our own existence. It is observed that the human consciousness shapes the process of converting energy into matter/experience at the Quantum level. Since this is the pivotal point where “spirit becomes physically manifested”, the further evolution into the interactive experiences of the human condition must also be dependent upon Consciousness for direction and purpose. Reality is constructed and deconstructed by Consciousness. This naturally leads to the conclusion that the far-fetched and unverifiable assertions made by some of Spiritual community may actually be possible. This “possibility” is manifested by the certainty of the experiencer that such matters are “real”. This is also the place where I find conflict. In the “certainty” of the experiencer's beliefs/intentions, there is almost always a “counter-intention”, usually preceded by the word “but” or “if”.

A case in point is the “dimensional” perspective of existence. Where dimensions are described as separate elements of existence. Early in my quests for understanding I held this notion as plausible, subsequently though, my experience reveals a seamless reality. This seamless reality is separated only by the self-imposed limits of one's perceptions. As I journey the aspects of existence I find no boundaries or restrictions other than those I place upon myself, or those I let others place on me. I find that it is artificially confining to instruct someone as to the levels, dimensions, or realms to be navigated before acquiring certain aspects of awareness and clarity. I find that any aspect of existence is attainable through immediate choice and the experiencer's certainty of that choice's manifestation. I also find that although some people find some level of comfort or entertainment value in fantasy or entertainment inspired concepts, they simply cannot provide functional models that are consistent with what we actually know to be verifiable experiences.

We are what we have chosen to be.. the beauty of that is we are free to choose again and again. If we consider the vast landscape of possibilities and almost equally vast choices of how to experience that landscape, there is revealed a “principle” about choosing. The more fanciful and complex choices we make, the more we dilute the potential for the survival of the human experience. Some people will choose to experience their reality as controlled by alien manipulators of their DNA.. some will choose to influenced by representatives from distant star systems, the Pleiades comes to mind.. some will get mired down in endless conspiracy theories.. and yet, we can choose a simple and profound existence. We can create so many paths, so many dimensions, so many philosophies that the novice experiencer is baffled and confused.. pulled in so many divergent directions as to render them helpless in the face of it all..

Life, in its simplest experience is consisted with a few basic elements: food, shelter, procreation, and security. At this basic level of existence Nature reveals amazingly consistent rhythms and cycles with observable results. Beyond the simplicity is another “nature” of existence, pondering our origins and improving our station in the experience of existing. As experiencers of existence, we have a remarkable tool for clarifying the process. This tool is “stillness”. By stilling the mind, by shutting down the mind's endless chatter of describing the experience we are having, we begin to see the experience in its pure form. That mental chatter is the sum total of our prior experiences, it is the voices of our mentors, the fictional novels we've read, the myriad of theories asserted about our existence. That chatter interferes with having the direct experience, it prejudices our understanding of the experience. Once we have had the experience in its purity it is appropriate to evaluate it as compared to our other experiences, we will be evaluating the actual experience, not the prejudiced version. Life will reveal its simplicity through the clarity inspired through stillness. Non-functional concepts will be self-evident, they will cease to distract the experiencer from Living in the Moment. And, Living in the Moment is the only “reality” there is.

- Gopher [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Word. I think the Daoists say what you're saying best. But they say it more cheerfully. :)

3. Not really bkadoctaj - Daoisism is a Religion - I believe in none.

4. Simplicity is the key. In my own "religious" experience, the moment where everything made sense, I saw nature as basically a fractal. Complex at first glance, but governed by very simple rules. Rules that can be understood, deconstructed and manipulated.

Liken it to a computer. It does everything by ones and zeroes. That is the fabric of computing. a level up you got logic gates that essentially add or subtract. And from that everything else follows. Our understanding of the universe, to continue the parabel, have gone from admiring a complete computer and claimed it a miracle by some supernatural entity, to picking it apart and understand how it works down to an incomplete set of the logic gates (laws of nature). But we've not quite gotten down to mapping out all the logic gates, or the basic ones and zeroes quite yet.

5. Thats a great way to put it. We see ourselves as complex beings, but we could be nothing more than a strand on the tapestry so to speak.

6. Woah, well articulated and really great posts. Echo some of my own ideas.

7. Bump

Just thought this old essay would be interesting to somebody

8. And thank you for bumping it. It seems like 4 out of 5 threads here go into metaphysical claims that people simply cannot possibly back up. Threads like "The Third Eye" is what I'm talking about. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it would really help our discussions on spirituality and philosophy if people understood formal logic. Maybe too many people think that every thought they achieve while smoking is profound. This is why I have never and will never make a post under the influence of any substance. Write it down, and review it later. If you don't think some of it is just nonsense, then you just aren't being very critical of yourself.

9. Just because you don't believe in a religion doesn't mean the religion doesn't believe in you.

The same Flow that inspired Daoism, inspired your post and my post.

Great thread, BTW. :)

10. "Daoism" is a "religion"

You don't believe in "religion"

But does this make the "religion", "Daoism", or what you had to say, any different from the same thing? You and "daoism" are one in the same. The separation only comes when you identify it as a "religion"

11. It seems a lot of the essay is your assertion that people's spirituality seems to have no evidence to support it.

To me, thats bullshit. One's spirituality should come from within, from their own experiences and shouldn't need to be proven with "logic" or evidence to somebody else. My spirituality comes mostly from my own inner experiences, and they are, mostly, impossible to explain to others. There are certain people I can talk to about it, but for the most part, its a path, or journey, that I am on alone. I may end up in the same place as others, but its a journey I expect to make alone (my spirituality, that is).

If I took your post wrong, then yes, this points irrelevent. But, thats how I feel. My spirituality doesn't need to be proven to anybody. The only evidence I have is emperical, from my own experiences. I don't expect most to understand, and thats fine. Logic and spirituality are two seperate entities, and should remain that way if you beleive in any religion or none at all.

12. That seems like a simple truth.

I find logic to be a very useful tool in my spirituality.

13. By all means, be spiritual. But wait a minute.. your spirituality isn't proven with logic? Suppose that after drinking a cup of tea I made from a hallucinogenic substance, I come to believe that I'm having a conversation with a rock. My experience is as real as I would expect it to be if I could ever speak to a rock, and the rock takes on the exact voice of my dead grandfather, introduces himself as such, and I fall asleep shortly afterwards to find that I can no longer speak to rocks. Tell me how many of these claims I would make in this scenario are claims you would grant credence to, and if you want to expand on/reword the questions to give me the answers I'm looking for, by all means do:

1) True: I can communicate with rocks.
    2) True: I was in communion with my dead grandfather.
    3) True: The soul exists.
    4) True: Certain hallucinogenic substances allow me to communicate with rocks and dead people.
    5) True: Hallucinogens cause me to hallucinate.

14. "Tightest links are those
    You tie around your own world"

(Taken from the song Funeralium by Funeralium. :p)

15. #15 notbakedenough, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
    I has a video for this I think. Lemme find it..
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXi_ldNRNtM"]YouTube - Prickles & Goo: Alan Watts Trey Parker Matt Stone South Park[/ame]

Its animated by trey parker and matt stone too ^_^

16. Ok I totally agree with you all ;)