Simplest step pissing me off...

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by I Wayne, May 9, 2011.

1. For some reason this year I can not successfully germinate a damn seed. Every fucking time I go visit my little germinated plants they are shrivvled up or yellow and dieing. I bought 10 femminised silver haze seeds and 2 big bud regs. Now 3 or 4 of the damn femminised seeds are dead because for some reason they wont fucking grow they just die. I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM. Is the process for better seeds rather than mid grade bag seeds harder? Because today actually one of the haze seeds sprouted and its green not yellow or already dead. I've asked this problem a few weeks ago but its already may and I have no big plants yet so im worried. And I was told soil does not make a difference...cause the soil I have is filled with nutrients and i guess it has pine in it so i thought that was the problem but i guess not. Its pissing me off i pay $80 for seeds and i go through the process I always have to grown and for some reason they cant live for shit. Am i over watering them or what? it makes no god damn sense to me...

2. Could be you have too many nutrients in the soil. What soil are you using?

3. if youve only got "hot" soil, try giving a good flush before planting anything in it, it'll wash out some excess ferts thats what i do and never had a prob

seeds really do want to live, so i could only imagine it being the soil

good luck

4. "farfard 3b formula mix" is the soil I'm talking about.
    And flush as in water it thoroughly a few days prior to planting? They seem to just shrivel up, its weird..like the exact end of the first root is usually still good but the rest just gets thin and dies.
    The only thread I could find on this, someone else said they were concerned about the pine bark in the soil a while back. However he did no update to how will it worked.
    Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Heres a pic of it..

Attached Files:

5. Whoops posted a same pic twice. I got what I could find on the bag..

Attached Files:

6. you have fafard 3b there, and it says there are different blends available on the back

the 3b you have has the most amount of pine bark available which is highly acidic (55%)making up the majority of your medium, im pretty sure this must be your problem

im no expert, but i THINK you could add some dolomite lime to offset the acidity but personally i wouldnt be putting any more precious seed in this mix

i think your best bet by far would be to cut your losses, and get yourself a nice bag of potting soil with good drainage

:wave:

7. okay that makes sense...it just sucks cause i got a few bags of this, which would be enough for like 8 plants. but yeah ill have it. do you think filling a hole with 1/3 or this and 2/3 regular ground soil would be okay?

8. i honestly wouldnt want to tell you yes on that one, cos im really not sure.:confused:

it would definintely give them a much better chance of survival though. you could try mixing some for one or two pots, but i would shoot for less than 33%, maybe 15-20%, and see how it goes. if you want to be sure though just use something else

you could end up wasting more dough in seeds than you save by trying to use it.

hope it all works out for ya

9. okay thanks man i appreciate the help. i ended up just putting the newly sprouted plants into regular ground soil from my back yard. i guess this will have to do until i pick up some better soil hah

10. Yeah, seeds are going to burn out when you toss them in with nutrients at the start. They need to be eased into soil.

Often, I've heard that you don't add anything to soil until four weeks into the germination. The soil itself, even not enriched, has nutrients in it and the plants will use them up in the first month...and then you can add more. Slowly.

It might also be an issue of overwatering too. There are plenty of factors that can go into troubles with growing.

Gotta say, that really sucks that's it's happened to you a few times. Hopefully the next time will be better.