Simple Harvest and Cure (Step By Step)

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jul 10, 2009.

1. You want the bud to still have moisture when it goes in the bags. If it was dry you would not need to put them in bags. I have done this method when the bud still looked wet and it worked great. The hanging process is to get most the moisture out, not all of it.

2. thanks. on my last harvest my buds smelt like wet grass/hay do you know why? i dried hanging then bags then cured them in jars for 2 weeks still smelt like wet grass? do you think high temps will be a big problem? 85-90F. somone told me it smelt like grass because my temps were too high.

3. Are you sure you did not try and cure lawn clippings?:D

Just kidding. My grow room is 93 degrees as I write this. My yeild at harvest will suffer but the quality seems to stay the same. The smell should come back after a few days in the jars. If it does not come in for you, then perhaps that is the way your weed smells. Lets hope it has a killer high to go with that bad smell.

Things that can effect smell/flavor are strain, nutrients, flowering time, overall health. You should have the best answers to why your weed smells like uh... weeds.
    Keep at it my brotha. Things only get better when it comes to growing bud. If it gets you high, then give thanks for that and move on to the next grow.

• Like Like x 1
  4. maybe it was the strain? all i know is i am growing shiva skunk and super skunk now so if these girls dont smell then i messed up big time somwhere. lol. the last grow that smelled like wet grass still got me blazed beond good.

5. you say to keep them in a cool dark area would a freezer be 2 cool ? iv hurd of ppl putting them in there would that be a good place ?

6. Not while drying. A freezer is air tight, you need a vented space.

7. i went for when there dry and u put them in the masonjars for curing

8. Is freezing weed the question then? If so, I can't give you a good answer. My weed does not seem to last long enough to freez:D. If the freezer is off, it would make a great spot to store the jars.

9. ok ty :) and how long would it stay good in the jars ? cuz if i can keep it till everyone else drys up so i make more money per oz :p

10. Maybe its the flush. I notice after a good long flush the you get less of the hay smell and more of the dank smell.

11. I've used silica gel before and it seamed to work well. I just tossed a bag of desiccant into a jar full of herb that had been line-dried for a day or 2. I didn't have any mold problems at all.

When I used it, I was sort of a new grower and didn't know about proper drying and curing times.

What you can do it get a few cheep hygrometers (that measure humidity) for like $3 for any box store and put them in your jars of herb and desiccant. If the moisture level is to high, add fresh silica gel... if the level is super low, take the gel out. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Indicating silica gel is nice - when the indicating beads are blue, the gel is "fresh". When the cobalt-chloride beads turn pink, the gel is full of moisture. An hour of so in the oven at about 120 Centigrade will dry it out for re-use.

You may want to stick the gel pack to the lid of the jar, and keep the herb a few inches away. Any herb touching the gel will become bone dry, which isn't optimal.

Good luck.

:poke:Question for Rumple: What type and power of light did you use for that plant?
    Thanks for any awesome post.

12. thanks i will try that.

13. nice tut, ill be using this soon enough :devious:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Looks like an interesting way to dry, I have always just gone from hanging to jars.

But will try this for the grow I began drying tonight.

One quick question....in your first post you say

Let them hang for three days (36 hours).

15. You dont want it dry when it goes to the bags. Should show signs of still being wet (even a little )

16. I believe the glass jars are used so your bud isn't being squished and disturbed in a bag.A 2 lb Coffee can with the plastic seal tops work well and are MUCH BIGGER.;)

One of our biggest problems is patience but you wouldn't believe the difference in letting your stash sit for a month rather then bongin as soon as the stuff is dry.

Rump let us know when you start the LED grow...from the results I have seen so far I'm very skeptical of LEDS replicating your normal results but would trust your findings either way.

17. I'm sure Rump ment 72hrs (3 days) as nothing unless it's assisted will dry that much in 36hrs.

18. I am real sorry about my retarded math. Yeah it's 72 hours. Good catch, I fixed it.

I tried talking the guy out of the led test, but he feels like it will pass and then some. I don't think they will do even half as well as my 400W. Got to give it a fair chance, and I will. I still have 40 days left in my current grow, so it will be a while.

19. you going to go scrog in the led test to? every thing the same as you do with ur 400w grows? i have never seen a scrog led grow and that would be very interesting to see.

20. I guess a two plant grow would be fair. Scrog and everything the same. I have some issues I need to work out. Like, the LED will be making more heat then my 400W HID. Did you hear me right? I have a cool tube that is cooled from outside air and draws no air from the grow room. Can't do that with the LED light. As you know, the LED light makes heat, but it's at the top of the unit on the other side of the bulbs. Yeah, it won't burn my plants, but it will add heat to my room, unlike my cool tube (it's cold to the touch). So the LED will be adding some heat to my room (I think). Why do I care? Well I am growing in a CO2 enriched atmosphere, so everytime the thermostat kicks in my room's ventilation system, it sucks all the CO2 out. I will cross that bridge later.

I have some work to do on the room as well. The mylar need replacing and some of the seals must be leaking because I got thrips again. They wont hurt the yeild, just bugs the hell out of me, and I have no idea how they are getting in. Will flea bomb after harvest.