Simple First Grow - A step by step

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by skwishems, Apr 29, 2009.

1. #1 skwishems, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2009
    Hey guys, I am brand new here,

I've decided to post a grow journal, to document my first attempts at what will hopefully become a long lasting and rewarding hobby.

I'm doing this for three reasons, -

1. This site is packed with shockingly friendly and knowledgeable people that will guide me in the right direction, as they have many people before me.

2. All mistakes, and their consequences, will be documented for beginning growers to see.

3. This is a very small scale project, and will probably suit most people who don't want to dive absolutely headfirst into this totally awesome activity.

Ill be growing in a simple closet, with two 4 foot flouro's that are rockin' at 6500 each
    Update: Added 40 W. 2700 CFL and 23 Watt 6500 CFL

I plan to purchase an HPS in about a month for flowering, and am eager to hear what kind of light a small scale project like this will be

Hopefully this will also give insight into plant development, and I will post lots of pictures of instage growth. I find it very hard to look up pictures of day by day growth of sprouts to cross reference against mine

Anyway, here's my first pictures, lemme here what you think!

I didn't realize that they would load like this but you'll see:

The plant advancing from day 1-3, my soil and the stuff I used to correct the PH, the simple as heck timer setup I have, and the general grow area.

And is it just absolutely 100% foolishness to have those little tin foils around my plant? I love the little guy, I treat him like a prince. er, princess, please god a princess.

P.S. Can any seasoned Pro's maybe identify the name of this sucker?

Attached Files:

2. i suggest using white paper for a cheap reflector instead of tin foil.
    less heat concentration, and less chance for your plant actually burning.

wishing ya lost of luck from a fellow new grower!

3. Ba-Bam

Thanks for the tip man

Side note, these pieces of paper will need to be weighted or sufficiently buried cause the ventilation fans will have you chasing them around the room.

Attached Files:

4. you can always enclose the actual pot in white paper
    build a lil box and line it with white paper.

5. Not a bad idea, and definitely something that I am going to look into.

Just decided on a whim to check on the little guy. I open the door and there is this fat caterpillar just sitting on the rim, moving towards the goods. I would have taken a picture of him but he pretty much vaporized after I unleashed the fury on him.

Keep windows closed folks!

durp

6. haha What kind of fury are you talking about?

7. I'm talkin hurricane kicks, flamethrowers, mind games, I'll be honest, I blacked out for most of it, let the ol' instincts take over

8. Okay FOLKS

Day 5 - Is this sucker looking healthy? At the right size? any problemos?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. Looking pretty good.
    Pretty much looks like mine.

I'm also on day 5, so we can compare plants throughout the grow cycle.

10. Nice man, do you have a journal that I can look at?

11. Another day passes

Attached Files:

12. Looking good man i know the feeling lol xD T he days just wont pass lol...Im on week 3 now white widow strain...ive been updating like every 4 days take a look u might find something usefull im also growing in a closet,,

13. So I have been lucky enough to adopt a pre-sprouted seedling (Sour Diesel) from a chum and have put it in soil. It then took a ride over to my house.

Also, is my plant "stretching"? What is stretching? Needs more light? I think it looks fine to be perfectly honest.

Attached Files:

14. A way to prevent stretching is to add more lights, or simply put the light as close to the plant as you can.

I'm no expert but I think its basically growing more stem to try and get closer to your light.

15. hey good stuff man wish you the best of luck!

yea when the plants stretch, there there trying to get more light so you could bring it closer.

p.s i tried growing in MG but ended up killing my plants b/c of nute burn from the soil. so if you do decide to grow in MG the whole way make sure you are really careful;)... or if you want go to your local hydroponics store if there is any and get some fox farm ocean forest. i just got it and from what i seen, it works MAGIC!!!!lol

16. ive certainly heard that, but from the looks of my first plant, things should be ok? I plan to re-pot in fox farm, but this convinced me with it's great nutrient balance and promise of root development...

17. things are mos def looking good! you shouldn't to worry about anything now from the looks of it.

18. The laughter? Oh it was intense... very intense.. so intense in fact that I think my stealth night stand grow went from 76*F to 81*F there by effectively slowing growth. (Growth rates tend to generally slow after the 78*F mark in a non-CO2 enriched environment)

:smoking: check this out.... MONO (meaning one) POLY (meaning many).... monopoly ftw?

19. Haha, thanks man, you have any grow journals/pictures of plants you've grown?