Simple, cheap hydro

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by StillAlive420, Jun 22, 2017.

1. I view them as coco and hydro lol
    There is a difference even if you feed them same nutes
    But I know a lot consider them the same
    Do you notice a difference in dwc vs the coco?
    I think I seen you said dwc cuts veg down by a week or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. DWC grows different but I like my promix/perlite plants. I've grown the same strain side by side in each method and the plants look totally different like different strains when they are clones. The DWC plant is thicker with denser foliage and larger stem structure. DWC grows about 50% faster then just soil but you can get close to DWC performance with coco. Maybe 10-20% slower growth depending on coco method. If you had a modded out timed top feed coco method with a large central res that had airstones oxygenating the feed it would be very close in performance.

The advantage DWC has over medium based methods usually is superior aeration if done correctly and feed that is constantly available. DWC feeds and aerates at the same time unlike a medium that needs to wait to dry out before the roots get air then the feed is gone shortly after.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for sharing. Spiking my interest in dwc lol
    Does dwc require more attention? I kind of like the ease of coco. Not having to check it everyday. You have to check the water ph with dwc right?

4. It depends on your method and size of res. In a bucket with a large plant it needs daily feeding and top off/check of the res. Honestly though after a while I've gotten good at just following a recipe for amounts of ph down with my water. As long as the plant remains feeding heavily I don't check the ph. I just continue to feed it the same recipe which is about 6.0ph. As soon as the feeding slows I check the ph and it's almost always off. The only time I balance everything with meters is at water change. It took about 3-4 harvests before I was good enough at my routine to do that though. There was a long period of time that I did daily ph and ppm readings. Now I just do it when I think I need to. I have enough work to do. Daily is best.

Bucket DWC can be a lot of work with a larger plant. There is ways to automate top off of the buckets and use larger res to limit how much you have to check. I haven't really tried this yet. There's also RDWC or recirculating which is usually top fed through the net pot so sometimes called top feed.

5. Another popular way to do DWC and not have to check so often is use a plastic storage bin and cut multiple holes for net pots in the lid. Otherwise known as walmart container DWC. My buddy does 4 plants in a 40 gallon container and doesn't have to check or top as often as buckets. Black is best. You don't want light in the root zone. Every other color has to be shielded to prevent light leaking in the res.

6. Good info tbone.
    Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  7. Here's my thoughts... I'm at a disagreement... Dyna gro is a unique formula, and yes it's optimized for cannabis. It's complete, I spend less $, I worry about my plants less being demolished by bugs, heat, drought and deficiencies, I spend less time with my plants (because they are always beautiful) I have 0 deficiencies, I yield more herb, and my smoke is smooth and I have no lung issues... I also use far less than the guys I see dumping Uber mls of shit in their res, I use like 2 spoonfuls, but for someone like me with little money and little time. Hindered by little movement, it's a good choice...

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

8. Here's what I think, I think a scientist that studys plants knows just a bit more about what a plant needs, than joe shmoo on a forum, I'm not saying people who smoke don't know their plants, but besides how their plants look and respond, can anyone break it down to a specific % like they do. Then take all them postage and put them all in one kick ass concentrated formula?

9. I'll tell you what there's hundreds of people over the last 15 years or more that have been growing and using these nutrients. They've documented their results if you're up for digging through grow journals on forums you can find them. Both nutrient lines are very successful so it's up to personal preference, what you have experience with, or what is more available to you locally.

I was curious about the one part nutrients myself so I tried Floranova bloom start to finish. You know what? They work great. I was realizing that for simple grows multiple bottles isn't really necessary.

I have a huge collection of nutrients. You should see them all. It gets tiring making a DWC bucket with 13 different things. If you do 4 water changes that's 52 separate measurements.

Sticking with the theme of this thread. "Simple Cheap Hydro". There's no way that running multiple bottles of dynagrow is much cheaper then Gh flora series or GH floranova bloom. The GH stuff is probably cheaper because it's easy to find in bulk. My local store sells 1/2 gallons of flora series GH for $29. That's $15 a quart.

The Dyna gro and bloom bottles are roughly $20 a quart. That's the same price as floranova bloom but FN bloom is more concentrated.

I don't think that Dyna-Gro has any advantage over General Hydroponics which is the largest hydroponic nutrient company in the world.

I'm not saying that Dyna-Gro doesn't work, I'm sure it does, just that I have every bit of confidence in my GH products that you have in dynagrow. I never worry about deficiencies vegging with FN bloom or blooming with it.

10. I also feed roughly 50-75% recommended max. Closer to 50% most of the time. If you're not using 1000 watt hps lamps your nutrient consumption will be lower. LED's are known for reducing nutrient consumption. Always start at 50% recommended and go up from there if the plants are asking for it.

11. Name 1 company that includes all the micro and macro nutrients and the NPK, go ahead I'll wait....

12. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All you need, if you want through in a little mag pro and liquid karma

13. Fuel for the fire
    I read somewhere that you can use botanicare cns17 bloom for the whole grow

14. Hmm. Not sure of the question. Every hydroponic company makes products that include everything you mentioned. General Hydroponics floranova bloom. 4-8-7. perfect npk balance for cannabis. I've vegged and bloomed with it. It does great at both. It says "one part nutrient" on the bottle. It has both organic and chemically derived ingredients so it feeds both fast and slow.

You want to know something that is different about Floranova bloom? 4% calcium 2% magnesium in the bottle. You'll never need a calmag supplement running FN bloom. My cal/mag is 5% calcium 1.5% magnesium.

15. I buy a starter kit for 2150 it's got 5 8oz bottles, that does my 2 plants... I don't know many people that only spend 22$ a year on nutrients...

16. I would go through 5 8oz bottles in 4 months max. I do have a lot of plants but I'm currently only budding 2. They're monsters though. One eats over 1 gallon a day. At a gallon to a gallon and quarter a day how long would an 8oz bottle of bloom last?

17. For bloom? A large spoon? That's a little unspecific. Are we talking a tablespoon because that's actually more then I use. One tablespoon is 14.78ml's. I use about 4-6 ml's a gallon on blooming plants.

18. Use a syringe with measurements on it. Why use a spoon?

19. There's roughly 236 mls to 8oz, so 5 into 236 would be a good guess