Simple but effective wooden pipe tutorial (Crappy Pics)

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Nutbust, May 20, 2012.

1. #1 Nutbust, May 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
    I'm going to be totally honest, I made my first wooden pipe 2 days ago with no instruction. Upon using it, I realized something...IT BEATS MY GLASS SPOON :eek:

It might be ugly, but these guys are sturdy and *amazing*.

You will need:

1 dremel

1 drill

1 blowtorch

some honey

some weed/ashes

1 stick, size will be explained below.

Paper towels

Sand paper (150-200 grit, and 400 grit. Or just 150-200 but with extra hard work)

Optional (but recommended):

1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar

1/4 cup White Vinegar

1/2 cup water

Steel Wool

Pennies (handful)

Pre-Step (optional):

Combine all the optional ingredients, from Balsamic to Pennies, and soak overnight.

Step 1: Determine your stick

First off, your stick MUST be 1/2 inch to 1 inch in diameter, no exceptions. As for length, find the drill bit that is the size of how you want your pipe hole (stem hole...sorry guys, I cant remember the name i'm coming down from a toke I took a little while ago). Put it up to the stick, and cut your stick 1 inch after where the drill bit stops.

As for what kind of stick to use, Briar is always a good choice. I have used anything from an old broom to a chunk cut out of a tree (my favorite is Hickory, it makes it taste like BBQ sauce). Make sure it's cylindrical. If not, dremel it until it is, then go on to step 2.

[​IMG]

Step 2: Shave your stick

Try and be gentle. I used a veggie peeler and it worked great. Just a sharp knife will do too. Do a quick sanding with some 150 grit, then, if you did the pre-step, take out the steel wool and pennies, and dunk the pipe in the liquid for at least half an hour or so. This will stain the wood and make it much easier to work with. If you didn't do the pre-step, go on ahead.

[​IMG]

Step 3: Drill your bowl

Once again, place your drill bit for the pipe hole next to the stick. Using pencil, trace your bowl, make sure the end of the bowl just overlaps the end of the drill bit, so that it will break through. Take the biggest drill bit you can find and make *one* hole, until you get around 9mm from the bottom of the pipe. Now that you have depth, dremel out the bowl to be as wide as you want. I used bit 952 for this, but it's not essential. Try not to scorch the bowl, it doesn't look very nice :smoke:

[​IMG]

Step 4: Drill the pipe hole

Easy enough. Find the center of where the bowl is, and trace it all the way back to the other side of the stick. This is where you will drill. Place the stick upright and get the drill spinning before contact, then place it on the stick and apply a steady pressure. Slowly increase the speed, until a mound of sawdust is steadily forming below the stick. At some point the drill bit will penetrate. On my first pipe it was dead center, on my second it was so far to the left I had to dremel out my bowl in a weird shape to find the hole. Oddly enough though, the unusually placed hole seemed to help filter and cool the smoke, as it's much cooler (and uglier) than my first. I like to think of my first as the "Spy", small and stealthy. And the big one as the "Heavy", large and efficient.

[​IMG]

Step 5: Drill the carb

Put this anywhere you want, on my first it's on the top of my stem and a bit to the right. On my second its on the right side of the bowl. Just make sure it's going to intercept your pipehole and drill it out with a small bit.

[​IMG]

Step 6: Make it pretty

Now that the basics are done, you can prettify it. Dremel out 420 on it maybe, or some sick tentacles. Once you're done, move on to the next step.

[​IMG]

Step 7: Blowtorching and Fireproofing

Best step in the whole tutorial. Blowtorch that baby up! If you did the pre-step, small bubbles and fire should appear on the wood. If not, it will just blacken. Either way, blacken everything save the inside of the bowl. Now get some 150-200 grit sandpaper and sand off the outer layer of black. Then move to 400 grit and really make sure it's all gone and smoothed out. If you want, use some of that steel wool from the pre-step after this to make sure it's extra nice.

[​IMG]

Step 8: Shining and Fireproofing the bowl

First, lets fireproof the bowl. Squirt some honey into it and spread it around with a napkin. Then get some ground up weed ash or regular ash and just dunk it in there. Then slam the pipe sharply (bowl down) on a counter and some ash will fall out. Make sure all loose ash is out. Now get 2 paper towels and fold them in half. On one, pour some olive oil. Rub it all over the pipe, then get the dry towel and wipe it off. Keep going until its shiny but not oily.

Step 9: You're done!

You now have a perfectly smooth, shiny, and hard hitting toker of your own! If anyone uses this, post pictures of the outcome! The whole thing took me 30 minutes to execute. I'll be posting pictures soon.

Also, I know the pictures are ugly, but at least it's something. The pipes are MUUUCH better looking in person. If I find a camera i'll be sure to post pics.

2. Shameless self bump

3. #3 DNHS Smoker, May 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
    u think this tutorial cud be modified into a way to make ur own custom bowl for ur bong? and nice guide, I'll definately give this a shot when im borer than hell. video wud be great as well ;)
    EDIT: So is this as safe as smoking through glass or wutever?

4. you should take pictures of what you're doing.

5. Yeah totally!

Camera got stolen :(

6. Phone? Laptop? Webcam? I dont think quality pictures matter, even ones made from windows paint wud be effective..

7. By camera I meant iPhone 4S camera, laptop has no camera...sooo.. I guess i'll use microsoft paint! ;D

8. sweet. and if i got the opportunity, i'll post pics of the bowl i make(it'll be done by the end of the week, hopefully it'll turn out well). also right now im looking around my house, only have white vinegar, most likely no sand paper, and im not wasting weed unless theres a good reason behind it.

9. What do you mean wasting weed? If you mean the ashes, surely you can clear them out of your previous pieces, and if not, use regular ash?

10. oh i mis-read the post. I thot u meant weed/ash(and since i cant find ash i wud hav to use weeed) but i get u now. So far I'm certain I have the following items:
    White Vinegar, Broom Sticks(though I may hunt down some briar wood), Water, Powertools for drilling, pennies, paper towels, olive oil, honey, blowtorch and I assume my dad has sand paper lying around(im a senior in highschool, 18 and living at home).

11. You can totally do this with those tools. Just use all white vinegar and it should be just fine. If you're going to use Briar, it's a double edged sword. Briar is a very hard wood to work with, but an amazing smoking medium due to no taste and fire resistance. A broomstick will be just fine.

12. where can i buy some briar wood???

13. [quote name='"Nutbust"']

By camera I meant iPhone 4S camera, laptop has no camera...sooo.. I guess i'll use microsoft paint! ;D[/quote]

So they just took the lil part of the of the camera .... glad u still ur phone did they rip it off pretty easy

14. ...they took the whole phone

15. I was more looking for an answer like "Home Depot" or "Ace Hardware"... a store I can drive to...

16. #17 DNHS Smoker, May 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
    Im beginning the process now, I put the end of a broom into a container with white vinegar, pennies, and water.
    EDIT:
    I'll be updating this single post until I finish project.
    -Found some 150grit sand paper. Figured out I need to buy honey. 5/21/12
    -Lol'd when i made the my first mistake on the first step. got a new piece of wood, and going to redo eevrything 5/22/12
    -Almost completed it, then made one fatal mistake, and ruined it. on my next broom stick(keep in mind, im only using a drill and a regular saw. 5/22/12

17. Did you make sure to let the vinegar and pennies soak together overnight before you put the wood in..?

18. no..? I thot i was to put the wood in with the pennies and vinegar?

19. No. As clearly stated in the Pre-Step, soak all the ingredients overnight, then add the wood. keep it in for like, 30 minutes.