Similarities between choice of religeon and marijuana

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by xchuyx122, Apr 3, 2007.

1. I was thinking a minute ago...

In some religeons, self-sacrifice (suicide) is permitted, and im just about 100% sure that no one in their right mind would try and stop a monk who is setting himself on fire to prove a point.

What got me thinking was, if a person is allowed the choice to take away their own life, why arent they allowed to smoke something that may be detrimental to their health? Why is it that im allowed to set myself ablaze in the name of what I believe in, but I cannot believe in the fact that a plant has benificial aspects to it and therefore, I should be allowed to use it.

Im about to pass out so I wont get to respond until tommorow but please im hoping for some kind of feedback on how you guys feel about this.

2. um... I might be wrong, and I don't know where you live, but I don't think it's legal to set yourself a blaze in the states. but I here what you are saying and this is a part of our arguement for decriminilization and eventually legalizing. many things that are much riskier to one's health are legal here and mj. isn't. drugs like alcohol, and tobacco are considered by most to be way more risky than use of mj. there are many other reasons mj. shouldn't be illegal as well, check out some of the posts in general news from around the world. peace

3. I didnt neccesarily mean it in the sense that I could actually light myself on fire, but more as people can use religeon as a legitimate reason for something, like not going to school/work, they simply believe in something existing and can use that to an advantage (not bashing people for this just using an example) So say I make up a word, not even using letters just random symbols, I tell everyone I believe in $!@# as the almighty ruler and he says im allowed to smoke pot, cant I use this same reasoning that many others do to do what i want?

4. to my understanding. when laws are made that illegalize practices that a religion is already practicing. they are legally allowed to continue according to grandfather clauses. Ex: mormons and their practice of polygammy. I don't know of any religions in the states allowed to use mj. I believe I remember hearing something about native amercans allowed smoke on a reservation, but I could be wrong about that. I don't know if you can convert to that anyways. I'm not really a legal student or anything maybe someone will come along and clear this up for us.