Silverback Gorilla vs. Grizzly Bear - Who would win in a fight?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by jackhos, Jan 25, 2013.

1. this is interesting, do you have any proof or articles on these old fights? i dont think the grizzly would be as dominant over gorillas

because gorilla vs. grizzly is the basically biggest land mammal motherfuckers from each continent. They are both huge, have long arms, walk around on 4s, can stand up on 2s, and have amazing strength and toughness.

polar bear would probably win. its much bigger and tougher

and to everyone picking the bear because of strength- gorillas are used to being mobile and agile, swinging around from trees and ragdolling eachother like nothing. comparing a monkey and a human of the same weight, the monkey was 5x stronger than a man. just imagine the difference with gorillas? they can rip apart trees like string cheese, im sure they could tear a bears jaw open if they had the position. then again, bears are big and have more weapons... but gorillas basically have 4 hands and if it could get the bear on its back it could really fuck it up.

also, a gorilla has a huge stamina and flexibility advantage over a bear. it can fight longer and push its body into more positions.

heres an article or gorilla strength;
    The Phenomenal Strength of Gorillas! | Ferocious Strength

also, look at the speed and velocity of a silverback gorilla. the one in this video isnt even that big, and it can bullrush like a fucking football player and headbut the bear into the gut probably rupturing its internal organs

@ 0:35
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaS_pVAODjU]Rare Footage of Cross River Gorillas Captured by Wildlife Conservation Society - YouTube[/ame]

in this video, a western gorilla (smaller one, probably about 300 - 350 pounds)
    ragdolls a woman just by gently grabbing her pants
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN02Sw68pOE]Crazy Gorilla Attack - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb-vpmW1n7U]gorilla drags ranger - YouTube[/ame]

2. i'm going with the grizzle bear

3. Silverback would tear that Teddy bear apart with his bare hands. WITH HIS BARE HANDS, GODDAMN YOU!!!!

4. seems the grizzly is winning in the polls.

grizzly bear for president!

5. The teddy would tear the grizzly apart, with his bear hands.

6. fuck his bare hands a bear with one swipe would easily cut the gorillas head off.

man this thread is intense

7. This is the best thread I've read in a while...

The grizzly looks better on paper, but the silverback brings many more intangibles to the table. I'd have the gorilla

8. A silverback would shit on a grizzly bear.

9. I read a story, in national geographic I think, where several scientists were observing silverback gorillas. They were being stalked by a jaguar. The cat had attempted to kill one of the young when the alpha gorilla slammed the jaguar to the ground and proceeded to headlock the cat and strangled it to death.
    I really wish I could remember where I saw that, it was a few years ago. If I can find it I will post it.
    :smoke:

10. Elephant vs. bear?

11. It really is up in the air. Who is more aggressive, and who gets the first move?

The bear sounds like he could stop the fight before anything really happened. But if the gorilla is able to get ahold of the bear before the bear attacks. That bear probably isn't getting out of dat "head lock".

12. Out of all the animal vs. animal threads I've seen here, this one is the closest.

Gorilla by a nose. The bear is larger and has claws, but that's not enough to overcome the gorilla's intelligence and strength.

13. so far the poll is literally 50/50, with 20 votes each. easily one of the closest matchups of all time

14. Grizzly's strength + claws + bone crushing jaws >>>>>> Gorilla's strength

15. A good couple swipes from the grizzly and that gorilla is gonna be leaking.

16. Intelligence doesn't mean much in a toe to toe battle.

Put Stephen Hawking in a lion cage then tell me I'm wrong.

17. Well, it matters for tool use. Hawking would beat the lion if he had some kind of blinking-operated machine gun. Similarly, the gorilla could compensate for its lack of claws by bashing in the bear's head with a rock.

18. Has a gorilla using a rock effectively as a weapon been documented?

19. Gorilla - strength, opposing thumbs, agility, stamina

Grizzly - claws

Gorilla wins

20. Yes, although they were seen throwing them rather than bashing with them. But the principle is the same: they can use tools as weapons when they need to.