Silica?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by loudnoise8, Jul 3, 2020.

1. I’m growing full organic and I’m looking into silica, is it organic ? The one from “bloom city” if so when should I start using it on an auto?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Yes, it’s organic, you can use it whenever you want

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Wisco grower, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    when I looked it up a few yrs ago when I used it, it said it was not organic.... but now says it is..

I just used it as a foliar not root drench

• Like Like x 1
  4. It's as "organic" as any other soluble potassium silicate product...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Technically, it is not organic and never will be since it contains no carbon, same as rock dust.

But, it is natural and compatible with organics, so, it gets called organic.

Wet

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Should I flush if I use it ?

7. Ruh-roh, you used the "f" word...

What is it that you're trying to accomplish by using silica in your grow?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. By getting bigger yields using silica. And so my plants are stronger/more resilient to things.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OK.

I would suggest using it as a foliar application, rather than a soil drench. I believe it's more readily absorbed that way. Soluble silicates are highly reactive in soil, and won't stay plant available for very long.

If you plan to, I would also suggest training your plant PRIOR to foliar application. Get the shape/training where you want it, then apply several times as directed. If it's anything like the Ag/Sil product I've used in the past, it's not something you have to keep applying. When that stuff sets in and starts doing it's thing, branches get very hard to bend/train.

I know it's a claim, but I can't personally attest to it's efficacy at providing "bigger yields". Never used it for that purpose...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I use it for 3 different reasons myself...
    1. To make the plant stronger
    2. To help with fluctuations of both too much rain or lack thereof
    3. To help prevent PM and other leaf fungus from setting in

I cant testify to bigger yields or not... tho last grow I did average between 4 and 7 pounds a plant.

• Like Like x 2
  11. It makes the plant stronger which help the plant "support" bigger yields.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gotta love the ol scillica. I use it all the way through veg at 40ppm in hydro and it makes them indestructible.
    Saw a guy grow his plant tied in a big knot just to prove what it does. Was pointless like and he obviously didn't get much but it can be done :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Diatomaceous Earth (get FOOD GRADE) is organic, provides silica, AND is a great bug preventative. I mix it into my soil before hand and sprinkle it on top and bottom for bugs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DE, although it is made primarily of silica, does not provide silica to plants because it doesn't really break down in the soil in order to make the silica available. It's also not very effective as a pest preventative when used in soil because it has to be dry in order to be effective (it works by absorbing the moister/oil from the insect body, killing it in the process), in the soil it will absorb moister and lose its ability to harm pests. This is besides the fact that it would harm to good and bad insects indiscriminately if it were effective in this application.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. From Cornell Law School:

Legal Information Institute

§ 205.601 Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic crop production.
    In accordance with restrictions specified in this section, the following synthetic substances may be used in organic crop production: Provided, That, use of such substances do not contribute to contamination of crops, soil, or water. Substances allowed by this section, except disinfectants and sanitizers in paragraph (a) and those substances in paragraphs (c), (j), (k), and (l) of this section, may only be used when the provisions set forth in § 205.206(a) through (d) prove insufficient to prevent or control the target pest.

(i) As plant disease control.

(1) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1) - the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. When growing indoors, I consider no insect good... don’t NEED them to grow. And DE will increase air flow and how often you have to water ifnconcerned about root rot and i bottom water. Keeping the top application of DE viable for long period cause it not wet. And for a long term use is fine for some silica boost. Definitely has benefits, but yes, best kept dry.

17. If you keep the top of the soil dry then it might work as a pest preventative, however, it is non-degradable so it will not get broken down and will never provide any silica that is plant available.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. I was curious if it did over time break down into a bioavailable Si source. You're saying no.
    I have started using rice hulls to supply extra silica over and above the local sand I use in my mix, but I have used De in my soil as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. It wont hurt anything, I actually have some in my mix as well just because I had it and I didnt know at the time.

• Like Like x 1