Silencing a stealth room

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by macanudo, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I would like this thread to offer help for those of us who must keep our grow rooms as silent as possible.

I've discovered that it was a mistake to screw my window ac unit into the wooden stud wall as well as screwing in an exhaust fan to the ceiling. It seems the vibrations make a low pitched hum in that part of my place. I'm thinking as soon as I can afford it, I will upgrade the cooling unit to a portable self standing ac unit. I just upgraded to a 6 Inch In-Line Fan - 268 CFM to keep my 600 watt HPS cooler and BOY IS IT LOUD! I discovered it is louder without ducting attached to it. Right now it is just on a shelf. I'm thinking of suspending it from bunjee cords. I was also thinking about buying some ducting that is insulated.

I've upgraded to digital ballast so I don't have the hum of the magnetic one. I want to find a way to quiet the air pumped into my dwc as well. I moved the two large air pumps into the next room to keep it quieter, but I found that the air stones are vibrating the bottom of the buckets like a drum. Anyone have a solution for that?

What else can I do to get things quieter?

2. Try using silicone to affix your air stones.

3. My friend works with like AC and ventilation type company. He builds things and has a lot of cool stuff. He has this six inch dryer ducting that is totally insulated around the outside with a black rap. It is great stuff like a muffler kinda.. Also on my grow things like fans, air pumps, inline fan, and more, are all screwed into my grow cab as you can see at my grow.. but I use black rubber gromit type against the wall and the screw which stops all my vibrations. It was so bad before the T.V. would scraggle on me. Also with the air stones it sounds like you have too much pressure running through them so if you are using the little round ones then go a little bigger, or add a T-valve and spit it too another bucket so that you are using half the power... Also the fish stores sell those round garfield window type stickys which would hold down the air tubbing..

4. great advice! I'll looking into those suction cups to hold them down to the bottom of the bucket without actually coming into contact with it.
    I thought all the pressure I have is good, more bubbles, right?

5. If you have a small growbox (mine is 3' x 2' x 2') you can use ball-bearing computer fans. They are extremely quite, cheap, readily available, and it's easy to put several side by side wired up to a radio shack ac-to-dc adapter:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3478786&CatId=494

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will only work well for a small growbox however. Not feasable for a full close or room obviously.

6. I think I took a peak at your current setup..??? but, I am also running an inline fan 144cfm to exhaust my 400w... now its a little loud... less so from vibration but more so from the air movement... I have no Charcoal filter that I have attached to my exhaust yet because I have no odor(not in flower) and have no care about noise or smell. But will get one for flower... Now I have found that any back end pressure creates less noise so I would imagine that it will quiet more when I buy a charcoal filter.

You can see a few pics on my link... I cant upload them for some reason..