Significant other wants me to quit

Discussion in 'General' started by Blazediken, Jan 8, 2013.

1. My boyfriend wants me to quit smoking, for absolutely no reason, even though he smokes a little bit less than me.
    I honestly don't know what to do about the situation,
    anyone have any advice? :confused:

2. Tell him to fuck off

3. Thats all the information you give us on the situation??

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

4. well, I would tell the rest, but unfortunately there's judgmental asshole stoners on these boards.
    But since he just pissed me off, I'll say it anyway.
    He cuts himself, and I tell him to stop, and to not anymore. So of course, he has to retaliate with the, "Why should I quit what I do if you won't quit what you do?"
    I just don't fucking understand.

5. Sounds like you need to drop the boy and move up to men.
    Cutting himself?
    Act of an attention seeking 15 year old.
    Comparing the habits?
    Act of a fool.
    That he smokes too?
    Act of a hypocrite.

I'd say if you didn't have reason enough, this would be it.

6. Smoking weed ≠ self-harm
    Cutting = self-harm

That's why.
    Don't allow him to connect your weed w/ his cutting--they're completely irrelevant. He could have said anything. Like, "If you won't stop eating tuna on Wednesdays, why should I stop cutting myself?"

7. Well, he does suffer from clinical depression, which I'm also diagnosed with. I don't know if this helps or not, but I'm bisexual, and a guy, so.. :rolleyes:

8. wow this thread just got amped up with interesting.

I had a friend that would cut for a while and phased out of it.

Keep on tokin, you seem like a fine fellow and you appeal to both sexes.

9. The fact that you're a guy makes absolutely no difference to my assessment.
    Good for you though?

Even with clinical depression, cutting is unhealthy and I still believe attention seeking behaviour that they need to grow up and curb, or seek further treatment if they're unable to do so.

Either way from what you've said this person has no standing to expect you to quit at all, seems like a power game.

10. Someone who's NOT homophobic on grasscity?? :eek:

Cheers! :hello:

11. All I know is,
    Me quitting smoking,
    is not happening anytime soon, especially with my bong still being delivered to me. :bongin:

12. lolwut?

op that's called drama, when its time to wear big boy pants you wont want anything to do with it

13. You'd actually be surprised how many tolerant blades there are out there when it comes to homosexuality..actually a really well known and liked blade is bi and everyone is aware of it. :D

14. Your boyfriend should consider talking to someone.

His cutting is a cry for attention.

Also.

Tell him smoking weed is harmless.

Blood letting for attention is not.

15. Is it considered tolerant to be completely indifferent?
    Some gay guys I've known have actually seemed a little miffed that well, I just don't see it one way or another.

16. Tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own.

17. I guess so then.

18. If they love you, then they wouldn't try to change you.

Any relationship where people try to change other, is destined to end in failure, or one of you being *insert genital of preference here* whipped.

19. I read the thread, man it seems like your playin the victim role here. In a relationship yes some things must be sacrificed to uphold a certain respect and comfort level for both involved. In your situation though it just seems like a sorta immature, codependent, power struggle and you happen to be playing the victim while he seems to be the dictator... with that said, I would say if your smoking doesn't effect him in anyway make that clear to him.

I assume you smoked when you first got together with him, if so, make him realize he knew what he was gettin into and to take you as you are and that you can't change someone who doesn't want to change themselves. If he starts making ultimatums and threats make him see how that is so wrong and benefits no one.

If in the end he is still complaining I would say move on or just quit. I myself have tried to reason with extremely difficult people in my life... and what I learned is you can't really change someone or get them to see your side if "they" aren't willing to be open and do the work to change/understand. And if he isn't willing to do the work to at least come to some type of mutual agreement, depressed or not... then you my friend are in a unhealthy relationship.

20. Wait he cuts himself and compares that to smoking?

Oh hell to the fuck no, kick his ass to the curb.