*sigh...doing more harm than good!? PICS

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ballsout, Feb 2, 2011.

1. #1 ballsout, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
    Despite my [until today] non-existent post count, I've been reading and searching these forums for a while now and have been fighting a losing battle with my girls and have prolly' done more harm than good. Pictures are attached.

• What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    SOIL​
    • What brand and type of soil?
    FOX FARMS​
    • Indoors or outdoors?
    INDOOR​
    • What strain?
    BAG SEED​
    • How old are the plants?
    3WKS - 6WKS​
    • What type of lights and how many watts?
    SUN BLAZE 44 T5​
    • How far from the lights?
    7 -10"​
    • What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    PROBABLY TOO OFTEN...perhaps that's the problem? I have since put a space heater in the room to speed up the evaporation process of the soil.
    • What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    Fox Farms Grow Big, Sweet, Sub-Culture M, Sub-Culture B. All at 1/4 or 1/2 strength. This isn't my first grow, so I'm fairly confident with my feeding, but haven't fed in a while because I didn't want to make the problem worse. If anything they're probably underfed at this point, but until the soil drys up there's no way I can test that hypothesis out.
    • What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    pH was 6.5-6.8
    • What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    70 - 79F | 50-70%. Was 64-70F | 60-85%
    • What size pots?
    1 Gallon, 5 Gallon and 10 Gallon.
    • Any bugs? Look real close.
    Yes, but I don't think they are responsible for the "main" issue here.
    • Any other pertinent info?

I recently flushed all of the girls in the 4th PIC, but have yet to see any results. It did seem like the temps were low and the soil was staying wet for an extended period of time, so I have recently upped the temps in the room and am just waiting for the girls to dry out before I do anything else.

Everything was looking alright until a couple of weeks ago I started to see what I thought was perhaps a nutrient deficiency. So I fertilized with FF Grow Big @ 1/2 strength along with some Sweet. Didn't really seem to do anything and then I found some leaf damage and discovered these bugs (1st PIC). I still have yet to figure out what they are.

I first suspected that they were thrips, but the only pics of thrips that I've seen were black and these are white. Which then led me to believe that perhaps they are gnat larvae (as I have seen a few gnats in the room). Either way I periodically spray with Neem Oil anyways so I didn't think it would become an issue. And besides, you can see in the pic the kind of damage that they do to the leaf, and in no way does it resemble the damage that's happening now. But after spraying with the Neem oil the symptoms seemed to get worse!? (but maybe thats just a coincidence)

And then I read this thread about Fungal Infection and it seemed very similar, but not wanting to further the problem I haven't done anything about it except for buy some [food-safe] Fungicide.

My assumption is that its a Cal/Mag deficiency brought on my overwatering w/ too low of a temperature...But it seemed to have "spread", so that leads me to the fungal infection. I just want to get some clarification so that I don't "F-myself"...besides, thats what I have a fiancee for! ;)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1st PIC shows the bugs. Last PIC is high res.

Attached Files:

2. root rot/ph

3. #3 ballsout, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
    Yeah, I had a sneaking suspicion that it was caused by overwatering...my pH is good though.

So right now I have obviously stopped watering until they completely dry out, and turned up the heat in the room, but they're still drying suuuuuper slow. Anything else I could do to assist in the drying out process...? Should I consider re-potting? I almost feel that the extra stress to the plants wouldn't be worth it, but I dunno.