Sideways fan leaves. Check it out!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by LittleGreenMan1, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hey guys. I'm on day 27 of my hydro autoflower grow #2 and I've got something really strange happening.

The fan leaves on 3 of my 10 plants are turned sideways. I've seen plants change the direction of their leaves if the light source changes direction but the light is directly above the plants but the leaves are turned 90 degrees on the horizontal access.

Does anyone know what causes this?

Grow Stats:
    In 5x5 tent
    1 -1000w enhanced hps bulb
    1 - 400w cmh bulb
    ebb and flow style grow in hydroton
    temps -57 at night , 73 during the day
    nutes - 1350 ppm , sensi bloom A&B , carbo load, big bud
    4 floods a day
    18/6 light schedule
    Humidity: 30%-55%
    also an ocsillating fan blowing the air gently around the tent. (the front of the tent is left open so its not sealed by any means.

Attached Files:

2. Do you have a pic of your grow area?
    Do you use a lot of mylar/reflective tape? Maybe it's bouncing off the wall right next to those leaves and they want to turn sideways to catch it all better.
    I'm really just throwing ideas out there... never seen sideways fan leaves before.

3. There are pics of the setup in my journal. I can't repost pictures so you'll have to view them there.

Tomorrow i'll be lowering the lights and cranking up the watt's a bit (adjustable ballast) as my only guess is the same as yours. I'm guessing the mylar sides of the tent are somehow overpowering the lumens coming directly from the bulb and distracting my fan leaves. Cranking up the light from the top should do the trick .

either way i'll fill you in on what I conclude

4. thats funny you mention that because I have some super lemon haze that have done the same thing.only a few on each plant.they turn sideways and then back again.i figure it will be nice if they all do that during flowering as to let more light to the buds below.
    maybe we can breed a new strain that all the fan leaves turn during flowering.wouldnt that be cool as hell.lol:D

5. that would be awesome

6. fucking weird, my SLH does that too.

i always assumed it had to do with me adding ph up/down to the res directly and it fucking with the leaves.

maybe not. seems to me, though, that it has only happened during ph fluctuations and subsequent corrections.