Sick plants

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DucttapeFetish, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I've got a few plants about two weeks old. Recently fixed a ph problem and the day after I noticed some odd colors in the leaves. About three of them have purpleish/grey tips/edges on the leaves. Additionally one of the plants has had twisted leaves growing since day one. Any tips? I'll be adding pics soon.

2. Phosphorus deficiency. More importantly, the P-def could be caused by lockout from a pH between 7.5 and 8.5. Check the pH of the substrate and the liquids you give the plants. Then, get a high-P fertilizer like many Guanos or Bone Meal and feed them a pH-corrected tea.

3. The ph was definitly too high before the fix so that sounds right. I was going to hold out on giving them nutes til week 3 or 4. Would just fixing the ph be enough to fix the lockout or is it totally necessary to get them some nutes with P?

4. What about the plant with twisting leaves? there didn't seen to be any odd colorations on the plant but the first set of mature leaves have been twisted from the start and there doesn't seem to be much new growth.

5. Incorrect pH can prevent the nutrients from being useable. Fixing the pH allows nutrients to be used but doesn't supply them. If there is enough P in the soil, fixing the pH will make it available to the plant but since they've been deficient, some extra food would be a good idea anyway.

Gnarled new growth is often a symptom of Phosphorus deficiency, which in turn is locked out by pH's between 7.5 & 8.5. Once the pH is corrected and the plants are fed, any new growth should look much better and grow much more vigorously.

It's just a thought since I haven't seen the plants, but I want to suggest making sure the roots have room to grow and aren't binding.