sick plants: yellow/brown spots, curling leaves!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by jennygrows, Feb 20, 2007.

1. our plants have been doing great until recently...

- ph is right at 6.5
    - temp is constant around 70-75 degrees F
    - using fox farms fertilizer (but stopped using it about 2 weeks ago to rule out fertilizer burn)
    - have sprayed plants twice with fungacide in the last few weeks (dead leaves usually follow)

help! anyone have a guess at what might be wrong?

Attached Files:

2. looks like it might be a calcium deficency .... iam more into growing in inert soiless mediums rather than soil ..... in a hydroponic situation it can be caused by using too much 'PH DOWN' or phosphoric acid as it bonds to calcium to form calcium phosphate which is an unabsorbable form of calcium.... ummmm in soil crushed oyster shells works well as a slow release of calcium .... always chech ph .... 9 out of 10 deficencies are caused by a ph problem.

3. hey, frog-godbee, what you were saying about in hydro, if you add to much acid (ph down) that it will make the calcium unused? how much does it take for that to happen? i put 12 gallons of water in my res. and it takes 25ml of ph down, to get it to about 5.8 and then i add more as needed when ph rises. out 4 female blueberry plants i have growing, (1st week of flowering) 2 leaves on one branch just turned yellow then brown, then curled up (over about 2 days) and another single blade on a different branch on the same plant is getting a big yellow and brown spot on it, do you think what you were talking about could be the problem?

4. Looks like calcium but just to be sure, you don't have any spider mites do you? They can leave spotted damage like that too.

5. shows us a pic balla420 ..... also spider mites put little white pin size dots on your leaves .... the little white dots are where they have tapped into the vascular system ...

6. Yeah, look for webs and holes. If none, it is calcium and the question is then why.

7. I agree with frog-godbee, I too thinks its a calcium def.

questions..... pic #2, is that leaf distortion/curling before or after the fungicide application?

Whats the PH of the soil runoff?

8. so whats a good fix for calcium def in a hydro system.

9. 13pointsoflight

adding calcium, may not solve your problem....the calcium def. is only a symptom.

you'd be better off starting a thread with the details of your grow, so that we can sort out the cause of the def

10. thanks for all the imput from everyone...I think that we had a ph problem. even though we THOUGHT the ph was where it was supposed to be, it was a little acidic, which i think burned the leaves. we've thrown out the old solution and we're givin' them the new stuff, and they're a lot happier. hopefully that was the problem - and now its fixed!