Sick plants, problem getting worse

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Tdaly123, May 29, 2012.

1. Does anyone know what might cause a plant's leaves begin to yellow, wilt, and die starting from the bottom and working its way up? All the new growth looks healthy as can be, but the bottom fan leaves are dying.

2. overwatering/underwatering and several other things. Pictures help

ph
    temp
    res temp
    ecttttt

3. They are in 3 gallons of soil with a good amount of earthworm castings. I water them 1-2 times a week, saturating the soil when it dries out. Highish humidity but temps are cool, high 70s at most.

I had also used some miracle grow bloom booster, going half strength.

4. Pics from today.

Attached Files:

5. Any help Grasscity? The problem is getting worse each day! The fan leaves at the very bottom are completely yellow with brown spots on them. The tops parts of my plants also have damage. The leaf tips are yellow at the very end, and slightly curled.

6. Do you know your pH run-off? Whenever you have a combination of deficiencies the first thing you should check is your soil pH.

If your pH is fine then you should start to go through the process of elimination. The yellow leaves indicate N deficiency, so that's the 1st thing you should address after the pH has been checked.

7. [quote name='"azpro"']Do you know your pH run-off? Whenever you have a combination of deficiencies the first thing you should check is your soil pH.

If your pH is fine then you should start to go through the process of elimination. The yellow leaves indicate N deficiency, so that's the 1st thing you should address after the pH has been checked.[/quote]

I have a ph tester coming in the mail soon this week. Until then I have no idea. =\

8. Hey I really liked that link! Thanks. Also, I got my ph tester today. The tap water I use is about 7.3, then when I add my nutes it drops to about 6.8. But the runoff is down by 5.5!! What do I do?

9. Hm.. Need more info. What age is the plant? How often do you water and with what ppm/nute

10. [quote name='"Looket"']Hm.. Need more info. What age is the plant? How often do you water and with what ppm/nute[/quote]

Plant is about 2.5-3 months old. Started veg in mid march, switched to flower 2 weeks ago. I water 1-2 times a week, saturating their 4 gallon pots. I used to use miracle grow bloom boost at half strength, but I recently switched to a hydroponics flora set of nutrients, 0-5-4, 5-0-1, and 2-1-6.

11. what substrate? (soil, hydro, soiless) Are you using any cal-mag or dolomite lime?

12. [quote name='"forge"']what substrate? (soil, hydro, soiless) Are you using any cal-mag or dolomite lime?[/quote]

Soil. Earthworm castings and miracle grow soil. I'm not sure if the supplements have calcium or magnesium, and no I'm not using lime.

13. Only water with straight water, DO NOT ADD NUTES. By adding nutes you're only adding to the acidic pH, and building up salts in the soil which will ultimately kill your plant if you continue. You can try adding baking soda/lime to your water to raise the alkalinity, but to be safest just use regular water without adjusting the pH. Flush your plant (use enough water to equal the volume 1/3 of your pot) so you can get rid of salt build up, and keep using reg water until your soil run-off is in the 6.5 range. Good Luck!

14. That miracle grow soil may be your problem. Are you certain it didn't come with a time release nute already in the soil?

15. ya MG soil is horrible. No ph buffer and have been known to cause low PH issues. I dont think its your nutes as much as your soil.

Dolomite lime will buffer your PH, but this far along, wont help much. Get your PH under control, then worry about nutes.

16. [quote name='"GurelliaMannzz7"']That miracle grow soil may be your problem. Are you certain it didn't come with a time release nute already in the soil?[/quote]

You know it may have, I was rushing into things and used what I had. Luckily I've picked up two big bags of fox farm ocean forest for next time. I'll just try to make the solution I water with a little bit basic, and flush the soil a lot

17. [quote name='"Tdaly123"']

You know it may have, I was rushing into things and used what I had. Luckily I've picked up two big bags of fox farm ocean forest for next time. I'll just try to make the solution I water with a little bit basic, and flush the soil a lot[/quote]

If you're using those nutes don't use that fox farm soil. You have to have a soiless medium like coco coir base or sunshine mix #4 for those flora series nutes. anything that doesnt have fertilizers already in it. By the look of your pics those dead leaves are at the very bottom and not getting any light. Old leaves die off naturally later in life. If it keeps spreading upward then you may have an issue. But judging by the green of the upper leaves you have a high nitrogen level (and that can look just like deficiency. Since you're using nutes I say u flush it with plain water till run off reads in the clear range then let her rest a week and asses from there. 3gsl pot = 3gal of water sit for and hour then 3more gal and drain thoroughly.

18. [quote name='"heretikhashhead"']

If you're using those nutes don't use that fox farm soil. You have to have a soiless medium like coco coir base or sunshine mix #4 for those flora series nutes. anything that doesnt have fertilizers already in it. By the look of your pics those dead leaves are at the very bottom and not getting any light. Old leaves die off naturally later in life. If it keeps spreading upward then you may have an issue. But judging by the green of the upper leaves you have a high nitrogen level (and that can look just like deficiency. Since you're using nutes I say u flush it with plain water till run off reads in the clear range then let her rest a week and asses from there. 3gsl pot = 3gal of water sit for and hour then 3more gal and drain thoroughly.[/quote]

The flora website said their products could be used for soil. But when I plant in fox farm soil should I add any nutes? I have the girls in the bathtub and I've been flooding the soil and testing the runoff, and it is still in the high fives, so I'll just continue flushing (I've only watered once).

19. Here's some pics from today.

Attached Files: