Sick Plants only 5-6 weeks old

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by goldenj, Apr 6, 2012.

1. This is my first grow and I am having early issues with nutrients. My set up:

Light: 1000wt HM bulb 18/6 light hours, distance from plants is about a foot.
    Temp: 80-86 lights on 60-65 off 60-70% humidity
    Stran: Diesel mix w/O.G. Kush
    Soil: Fox Farm ocean
    Water: distilled from the store watering small amount daily. allowing for top to dry.

I started from seed, germination went good, planted in rapid rooter. about 3 weeks in the rooter (probably to long) I saw signs of yellowing in the bottom tier leafs. The plants where on thier second to third tier so I trans planted into 1 gallon pots with the fox farm soil. When pulling the plants from the rapid rooter i noticed the roots had exploded more than I expected and had started growing into the bottom of the drain tray...So I think the early signs of yellowing was from distress or root bound (from what I've read). I never untangled any of the roots (unexperienced, now i realized i should have).

Now in the 1 gallon pots they are showing more signs of distress. The bottom leafs are all yellow and browning at the tips. they are very small and showed no signs of improvement. I flushed the soil about 3 days ago and got a green colored run-off (ph unknown cant afford a gauge right now). The yellowing is starting at the tips of the second tier leafs and completly yellow in the bottom first tier, also some brown spots appear near the tips in the yellow portions???? I plan to flush the plants again in like 2-3 days...I feel its a nitrogen issue and consdering how young the plants are they cant need nutrients at this stage, the soil should be good enoguh. After the first flush I did get alot of new growth....one plant is showing signs of a magnisum issue or somthing...it has dark colored vains in the third tier leaf with yellow green around the viens...pics to come.

What is wrong with my ladies??
    Should I be flushing again??
    Do they need nutrients??

Anything helps, I am starting to get frustrated :confused:
    ***If I left out anything important please post.
    *pictures to come by 4/10

2. #2 sourjello73, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
    You are right, it is stress. But transplanting a plant causes stress as well. If a fan leaf is dead dead, then simply remove it/them. Your plant should perk back up in a day or two. Can you post pictures so I can get a better idea of whats happening?

3. 4sure.....I'll have pics this weekend. Thanks for the help...I really appreciate it.

4. If anyone can tell me whats wrong??? please do.

Ideas: nutrient lockout to much nitrogen in the soil...root binding from being in rapid rooter to long......not sure

Attached Files:

5. #5 tplat, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012

The first set of small round leaves and first set of small single bladed leaves will naturaly die off, its totaly normal. If thats the leaves your describing. Yellowing is a nitrogen deficiency that can be caused by two things, not being fed enough nutes or a PH problem locking it out. Below is a link to plant problems that is a good reference if you ever have a problem. As for your plants they look good and healthy. Your daytime temps are starting to get a little high around 85 I would try to get it down to around 77-80 which is a really good temp and your night time temps arent to bad. As for humidity I would try to get that down as well. As for your soil I use it as well and around 2-3 weeks I start giving mine a weak nutrient feed. Ocean Forest nutes are good for about 30 days but if you water every couple of days like I do when the soil is dry about an inch or so down it can go through the nutes in the soil a little quicker I think.

http://www.onlinepot.org/grow/diagnosingplantgrowingproblems.htm

6. Your plants look healthy to me homie. Usually the first couple of fan leaves die and fall of anyways, so thats nothing to worry about. Worry about your new growth, which all looks perfectly healthy! :)

Think about going to some bigger pots soon though.

7. Definitely some sort of micronute deficiency. Ph can be huge in things of the sort, invest in a meter kind sir. 20 bucks can get you a cheapo digital meter and it costs near nothing to calibrate when needed. I PH my water in soil anywhere from 6.7 to 7.0. Regardless, if youre using straight tap water, youre most likely too high in PH. Lots of calcium and unneeded micronutes that can cause the same symptoms from tap as well. Youll be fine with your temps and humidity. Invest in a meter and drop your PH. Doesnt look too much like Nitrogen Def, but your girls will be just fine!