Sick Plants? Have A Question? Ask Here.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by XchaoticmetalX, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Would you recommend 1 or 2 tablespoons sprinkled on top and then watered in? Wondering if the dosage is more in the couple tablespoons range or is wood ash soft enough that a quarter cup is fine..?

2. depends on size of pot, 1 gal i would start with 1 tbsp, 3 gal i would go 1 1/2 , start low and work it up if you dig what i mean treat it just as you would starting a new nutrient line, are you using the soil kit with the capsules for your ph test?
    if your doing a slurry follow these directions from the folks that make the test equitment, there is information there , i dont really care what folks on the forum say this is the folks that make ph pens

3. Preciate the help, I'll start with a tablespoon or two. It was a simple send in your soil to the lab test kit, nothing crazy though got it at a garden center

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hey i use the one on amazon and has been a very effective tool in my tool box for years,30 bucks,they send the results and even suggest what you need,so since you have had the test ,just go to wal mart and buy a cheap npk and ph test kit in the pool section, only problem with them is there isnt enough pills in the kit,when im testing it isnt odd to use every ph pill i got haahha.
    matter of fact i just ordered a soil test from my regular company 2 days ago should be here soon,from the heat i have lost my stand of corn from drought and stress, there has been around 30 to 35 degree temp swings here for 2 weeks and my corn is tassling at 14 inch tall ,so it done and drastic temp swings cause that , so be a great time to check every thing out

5. im sure you also know this ,but never use wood that is treated for your wood ash, i dont even use lumber cause i dont trust them mills,so burn your branches and wood from the real deal,if you lucky you can also score some char from your burns

6. Okay, thanks again for your help and sorry it took so long to respond, I got caught up with work. So here we are now , the plants look WAY better than they did but now I have new issues. The leaves have yellow stripping and there are a few brown spots. My wife watered with nutes while I was at work 1 time since we last spoke so I'm not sure of it's nutrient burn or maybe still recouping? Potassium deficiency? Maybe still needing to zero in my ph. I just purchased a BlueLab Guardian so it should be way easier now to stay on top of it. I'm just not sure which problem I'm fighting. Here are some pics. Also, as I said before I've been having to do 24 hours on because they started to flower while I was waiting on my tent and gear and I was busy with work but I've been slowly getting them back to veg. 20220522_104331.jpg 20220522_104335.jpg 20220522_104355.jpg 20220522_104926.jpg 20220522_104908.jpg 20220522_104744.jpg

Sent from my SM-F916U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. It could be a calcium and magnesium deficiency.

The one problem with distilled water is that it's completely clean while tap water has some disolved minerals in it. Depending on where you live you could get plenty of calcium from tap water, but sometimes not. For example, my area has very clean water (25 ppm out of the tap) so I have to supplement calcium and magnesium. It's an easy fix, just add some calmag to the water (1-2.5 mL per gallon). I use Calimagic from general hydroponics, but every brand makes their own version.

8. That makes sense. I actually purchased some FoxFarm Bushmaster Cal-Mag when I ordered all of my other gear and nutes so I have some on hand. How often should I feed it to them? Since I have the Ocean Forrest soil i believe I'll be good on other nutes for at least a couple of weeks especially since they're in 5gal pots. Should I make up a gallon strictly for Cal-Mag and use it for my next watering then rotate ebery other watering with regular ph water while waiting for improvement? Or like every 4th watering? As I said , I'm pretty new to this and not sure if it's easy to overdose with Cal-Mag lol I guess my question is, when trying to solve an issue like this with the plants, do you keep giving it whatever nute you think is deficient with every watering or do you use it once and then look for a positive or negative response over the next week or so and if no response is seen, good or bad, give it to them again? And seriously! Thank you sooo much for your help, you are kickass for sharing your knowledge and experience on here to help others, it definitely provides a peace of mind knowing I can receive assistance from seasoned professional, so thanks! I was ready to throw them out and start over the other day until you helped me lol

Sent from my SM-F916U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Hey what’s up everybody first post here looking for some advice not to get bashed on lol…..so have 4 plants all same genetics there in 10gal. fabric pots using (c.o.m-stonighton blend) with added perlite a lil casting and top dressed with lobster compost also from (c.o.m) no bottle nutrients just water some “labs” and some yucca and one application of a water in powdered compost tea mix this issue or what I believe to be just started a couple days ago prior to that growth was vigorous temps are in mid-high 70’s low 80’s and humidity is a steady 75% with a 3%. differ. either (inkbird controller).

I attached pics with post please have a look!…look forward to hear back and to hopefully correct this issue soon as I plan to flip in next couple days hopefully

Attached Files:

10. I'd give some calmag with every watering. Start off with a small amount, only 1 ml per gallon. As the plant gets bigger you might have to gradually up it to 2-2.5ml per gallon in the middle of flowering depending on how your strain does.

So basically you want to add calmag, then ph adjust it to 6.0ish, then give it to your plants.

"I guess my question is, when trying to solve an issue like this with the plants, do you keep giving it whatever nute you think is deficient with every watering or do you use it once and then look for a positive or negative response over the next week or so and if no response is seen, good or bad, give it to them again?"

yes, that's basically the process but it depends.

Some nutrients will be depleted and truly need more nutes added (like calmag in your case). An example, the first sign of needing nutes is usually plants going light green or yellow from a lack of nitrogen. It's typically the first nute you run out of when things are operating normally. In that case you definitely increase the amount of nutes in your mix.

Some nutrients could be plentiful but are locked out because of a ph problem. If you keep adding nutes when you have a ph problem you could make things worse. You'll essentially be adding nutes that aren't getting absorbed and they'll build up over time, and the nutes that are absorbed end up with a toxicity because they're getting too much. In this case you wouldn't add more nutes, just get your ph in order and then go from there.

So as mentioned above I'd add calmag to help with that deficiency (since there's little to no calmag in your soil), and then ph adjust it to 6.0ish to help with your zinc and other deficiencies.

The first grow is always the toughest as you try to get your nute schedule figured out. Since every strain is a little different you might make adjustments along the way. Write down all your feeding so you can look back on it for future grows.

11. #28451 redxiii, Jun 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    I need some help identifying what is wrong with my plant. Its growing in soil. Week 5 of flowering. Ive been using the fox farm trio at half strength. I think it's a Manganese deficiency or calcium deficiency. What should I do? 20220604_220637.jpg 20220604_220717.jpg

12. I ordered cal-mag and manganese. I will report back with results. Is a flush necessary?

13. Add some Nitrogen Booster to your feeding regimen this week

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Your in week 5 of flower I wouldn’t worry about it at all. Most fan leaves start yellowing by week 3-4, your good. If some are covering bud sites then pluck them.

15. Hello. I have problem with my plants. They doesnt seem to grow verjy much, have a thin stem and it seem like its drying. I alway watered it when the soil was dry. I didnt fertilize it yet because they are still so small. They were put in a pot at the and of april. Any help would be very appriciated.

Attached Files:

16. Tear off the leaves on the bottom, they’re dead. And feed her, time for food!

17. #28457 420Thailand, Jun 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    Hi fellow growers! I recently got into growing again (I was growing a few times about 15 years ago but stopped after I moved to Thailand). I'm growing indoors in a 4x8 tent with two Mars Hydro FC-E 4800s in an a/c room. I keep the temperature around 25 degrees Celsius (77F). I'm using soil from a company that makes it specially for growing hemp/cannabis and add ~20% worm castings and 20% perlite. I use the Fox Farm trio fertilizer set (not my preferred brand but it was all I could get at the time. There's now someone selling Gaia Green, I'll switch to that soon). I use RO water. When watering/feeding, I add some unsulphured blackstrap molasses (1tbsp per gal), Calmag plus (4ml per gal), occasionally some great white mycorhizea and fish aminos (1ml per gal). I PH the water to 6.3-6.5. The autoflowers I'm growing right now are at the end of week 5 so early flower. I've been watering them every other day first, then every 3 days. 3 days ago I gave them plenty of water for the first time (enough to have 20% run off). I added some Fox Farm nutes (a little less than half of what they recommend). The next morning I started to see some of the leaves of two out of the 8 plants get spots (see photos). Some of the leaves are near the bottom, some near the top. I haven't watered since so right now it's been 3 days since the last watering. I closely examined the leaves and can't see any signs of insects. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? I'm thinking it looks like too much nitrogen, maybe the soil is hotter than I thought and the Calmag plus is 2-0-0 so that's even more nitrogen. Thanks in advance for any advice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I had the same issue last year. I think you need to put them either in the ground or in a bigger pot and feed them asap.

19. Hey everybody so about 5 weeks into flower and I’m not very happy with myself or the plants this round!..I recently harvested a 45gal. Living soil grow that crushed, good finale weight, dense flowers, bag appeal, basically all the boxes!…so I reset the tent for the the next round and stupidly I went back to 10gal pots and the plant’s quickly out grew them partially my fault for letting them get to big befor flipping and I’m finding keeping bigger plants in smaller pots “organically” is a lil difficult I’ve been using “build a soil” water soluble “build a bloom” and I’m not seeing the bulking I would like so I got in touch with “Brandon Rust” owner of Bokashi earthworks and he recommended his bloom specific humate fert. So I’m hoping I’ll be able to bring these plants back to life with that and the addition of some L.A.B.S!

To wrap it up do you think I will be able to still pull a decent harvest?..

Thanks !..

Attached Files:

20. Does anyone know what's causing this leaf discoloration on one of my autos? I thought it was a nitrogen deficiency so I gave it a little more yesterday morning but if anything it made it a little worse. I don't think its getting too much nitrogen because the fertilizer I'm using has practically none and the other plants all look fine 20220629_072050.jpg 20220629_072039.jpg