Sick plant, unsure of the exact problem

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by krookedkush, Nov 7, 2011.

1. #1 krookedkush, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
    My plant is about 4 to 5 weeks old and it's in FFOF soil. This is pretty much my first grow and I can't seem to pinpoint what's wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would really appreciate any help you guys could give me, especially since I think there may be multiple issues at hand.

2. what is the pH of the water you are giving it? what is the runoff pH?

3. I'm not sure. I should be buying a pH tester sometime this week, hopefully tomorrow. I've been putting a good amount of money towards the grow/box so reading that a good tester's worth about a hundred dollars was a bit frustrating.
    I've been saving up for it here and there, it's just that I couldn't afford to buy one in the past month.

4. You could always buy a cheap one from home depot or so in the mean time. Then continue to save up for a really really really really awesome blossom one!

5. It's funny you mention that because that's what I have. Unfortunately, I don't feel its correct at all, especially since the meter basically hovers in the same spot. I have a cheap one where you mix in the runoff, water, and a little chemical and it measures by color of the water, but that doesn't seem very reliable either :(

Do I have to figure out the pH before I can do anything to the plant? Money's really tight again for a bit, so it would be cool if there was a way I could fix this without having to spend those big bucks just yet.

6. You can go to an aquarium shop and get a chemical tester- comes with a test tube nd the solution. It's as accurate as you need for soil.

7. Went to the pet shop and bought an aquarium pH test. The bottled water I use has at least a pH of 7.0, so that may be part of the problem.
    The runoff came in at about 6.5, though.

Any advice?

8. bump

Please help!!

9. Another bump, I know somebody has to know what's up with my plants....

I'm not familiar with plant issues and their causes, so I would be very grateful if somebody could diagnose my plant's problem and let me know how to fix it.

10. keep watering with a pH around 6.4-6.8.

have you fed them any nutes? FFOF contains nutrients in the soil, so there is no need to feed them for a few weeks.

if you gave them nutrients, the browning on the leaves is the cause of nute burn. those leaves with the burn will never recover. new growth, however, will look fine as long as you dont burn them again.

if you havnt fed them anything, your soil is running too hot (too many nutes added in soil). this will correct itself over time.

11. I haven't given them any nutes, mainly because I know FFOF has enough nutes for a little while. I'll start using water with a lower pH and see if that helps and I'll be sure to come back if the problem persists.

Thanks Buck!

12. noooo dont give it a lower pH if you used 7.0 and it came out 6.5. that means its too acidic. lowering your water's pH will make it more acidic.

just keep your water's pH between 6.4-6.8. you may want to keep it on the 6.8 side for the next few waterings.

13. #13 krookedkush, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
    Sorry, can you be a little more clear? If I'm using water that has a pH of 6.4 to 6.8, how is what I said wrong? Are you talking about the runoff being 6.4 to 6.8? You just say water, so that may be where I'm being thrown off...

edit: after re-reading, I figure you mean the runoff should be between 6.4 to 6.8. My bad hahaha
    If I'm using a water that's 7.0, and the pH of the runoff is too acidic, what should I do then to raise the pH?

14. So today my plants aren't getting any better. The new growth up top is starting to curl up like a canoe and those little burns are slowly, slowly spreading and creeping up the plant.

Should I be watering with a different pH? Should I be trying to raise the pH of the runoff? Are there nutrient deficiencies that I'm unaware of?
    I don't know how much longer before I can't save her, what should I be doing here?? Somebody please help!

7.0 water, 6.5 runoff, FFOF soil, 4 CFL bulbs about 4 to 5 inches away from the plants, there's a constant temp of about 78 and the humidity's in the mid to high 50's. I haven't fed the plant any nutes all, so I'm a bit worried the nutrients in the soil may be near depleted.

15. Are you letting the the soil dry out a little in between watering?

16. Yessir, I stick my finger down an inch or two in the soil and if its still damp I leave it be. But I'll hold out on the watering a bit longer to see if it helps her out a bit, and also because I did actually water yesterday with about 1.5 times the normal amount I use.

17. Were you able to lower the ph range to 6.5 for your watering?
    As far as the as the tester the color solution is pretty accurate. If used properly but takes some practice. I found a digital one at a local hydro store for about 14.00 but I still use the solution.

18. That's hot man! Move the lights another couple of inches farther away, add another fan to lower temperatures. You want it around 70-72 degrees. The PH seems to be fine, you might want to flush your plants tho. Hold your plants over a bucket and water them REALLY good, let them drip dry and stick em back in there spot. This will flush everything through and provide them with a good watering. To me it looks like complete heat stress as 78 is a little hot as well as over watering.

~Lower Temperature in Room
    ~Add Another Small Fan
    ~Flush Soil With Regular Water
    ~Add 2 More Days In Between Regular Watering Cycle

This should clear up your plants problems.

19. See I have no clue what you're talking about. Are you asking if I used a lower pH water or was I able to lower the runoff? That's what was confusing me with that other guy as well.

I've been using 7.0 water to feed the plant and the runoff has been 6.5. What are you asking that I should have done? Lower/raise the feeding water? No offense, but there's not much clarity on what I should be doing to which waters

It would be really awesome if somebody could tell me what the pH of the water I feed the plant should be, what the runoff should be, and what I should do to get them there, etc

20. [quote name='"krookedkush"']

See I have no clue what you're talking about. Are you asking if I used a lower pH water or was I able to lower the runoff? That's what was confusing me with that other guy as well.

I've been using 7.0 water to feed the plant and the runoff has been 6.5. What are you asking that I should have done? Lower/raise the feeding water? No offense, but there's not much clarity on what I should be doing to which waters

It would be really awesome if somebody could tell me what the pH of the water I feed the plant should be, what the runoff should be, and what I should do to get them there, etc[/quote]

The water you use to water with should be around 6.5. I don't worry about runoff. I think you said you used ffof which has dolomite. Dolomite helps even out the ph. Using soil I never had to worry about ph too much but if you start out at 6.5 you'll be ok.