Sick Plant? Please, Please Help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by camberwellcarrot, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Hi,

Im posting again because the grass city gods have not shone down on me..

This is the first time I've ever attempted to grow or cultivate.. And below is a list of my info;

- outdoor grow (around 25c in day dropping about 10c at night)
    - 1 gallon pots
    - all purpose compost with nothing added
    -water every three/four days
    - lowryder 2 seeds

As I approached week 2 of veg stage I noticed that growth appeared stunted on both of my babies, since then the last few days there has not been much progress whatsoever and I have also noticed some spots of discolouration on the leaves which can be seen below. I'm wondering if this is a deficiency due to the ph of my soil??! Yesterday I got a ph soil tester and according to the kit it was hitting a ph of about 7, am I on the right track? Or is this not the problem?

Please please any help would be great

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407060879.217055.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 noizviolation, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    Ph 7 is neutral, most ( all I have ever grown ) will live and produce at 7ph. May not be optimal production but none the less, it'll suffice. For soil I like ph to be sitting around 6.5 to 6.8 myself ( there are sensitive or picky strains out there ). Just straight compost you are in? No drainage material or anti compaction material in there? She could be suffocating and with an auto that's not good as you are on a pre determined timer for her life.

If you can, mix 1/3 compost you have with 1/3 sphagnum ( or back yard top soil if you have to ) and 1/3 drainage material like perlite, rice hulls or heck if you have clean gravel that'll do in a pinch.

Compost is great, but it could be "muck" in the pot not letting her roots breath.

3. Thanks so much for your reply!

I actually have some perlite on the way, what would be the best way though to incorporate it into the soil at this point, incurring minimal plant stress?

4. I'm wondering if the spot may not be onset magnesium difficiency. The spots from what I have seen elsewhere start off spotty and followed by turning necrotic. They will soon appear more frequent, and appear rust colored.

If the PH is off you could be blocking some of the nutrients provided by the cotyledons.

Best thing I can suggest is make sure you have proper drainage, tripple check your ph levels, and make sure your soil is suitable for delicate seedlings.

Additionally, you could provide it with unsulfered mollasses to help uptake micro nutrients.

5. #5 noizviolation, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    I would mix up a pot of soil when you get your perlite in, I like to put two fingers on the soil, either side of a seedling, turn the pot over and gently shake her out while gently making a fist shape. Giving you your plant and a small ball of the current soil. Make a hole big enough for this to be gently placed in and her roots should happily start exploring the new mix with added aeration material. Should be minimal shock. And definitely take the other posters advice into consideration.

6. Thanks for both of your replies and time. I'm going to follow your advice. I moved one of my plants from my patio to my kitchen windowsill (note the much hotter, dryer temperature in my kitchen, consistently about 28/29c and only about 5c less at night) and huzzah over night we have had progress again! There has definitely been some movement and growth, what does this mean? Perhaps something to do with my temps or watering schedule as well?? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407146573.467348.jpg

7. Well, could be any of the above. Or by putting her behind glass ( slaughterer of sunlight ) you are coaxing her to "go toward the light" and she will stretch to get there.

8. Oh yeah, sorry they are not usually behind glass, just brought it in for the pic!

Will update when I get the perlite tomorrow, going to try adding a tablespoon of molasses as stated prior when I do my next water too

9. Just one more question, when I transplant to the new mix with perlite should I wait for the current soil to dry quite considerably?

10. Don't know if you can see on this picture but as well as the rust coloured spots of colour I've began to notice some more purple/dark discolouration on the leaves? Is this a nutrient problem ?

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407236438.388743.jpg

11. #11 noizviolation, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
    Cal/mag is most common for the symptom. I add about a teaspoon of epsom salts to a gallon of water for this.
    Personal preference, I like damp soil better, as most of the soil crumbles away without root damage. If the soil is dry I tend to break more roots doing the transplant.

12. Feel so stupid, I've messed up the transfer of the plants to the new mixes and I think I've killed them both !! :( ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407250264.465853.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407250286.636908.jpg

13. Perhaps not, suns arrived on time! ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407254116.703243.jpg

14. Just ph tested the water I'm using and it seems ok but if anything a little dark? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407320957.420543.jpg

Going to try Epsom salt in my next watering anyway and also rest the run off

15. Be careful to not over feed them. Go light on the feeding solution with young seedlings.

16. Will do, I haven't fed them anything as of yet. How much should I be using 1/2 tbspn to a gallon of water?

17. With Epsom salt, it's 1 teaspoon per gallon water. I would only use 1/8 of that and also add 1 teaspoon of unsulfered molasses for the micro nutrients. As for nutrients, worm castings are available at any nursery they aid Nitrogen levels, and wont burn seedlings...

18. Hi I've noticed this def get a lot worse, I was going to hold off another day til my molasses gets here and for the soil to dry out even further but yellowing is happening much more rapidly,should I just hit with some Epsom today?? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407400887.862521.jpg

19. Also I was thinking about adding some cracked egg shells to the mix as an organic longer term solution to my potential calcium problems. Does anyone have experience with this?

20. Hi guys it's gotten a lot worse since feed yesterday what should I do? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407494919.339159.jpg