Sick of my job

Discussion in 'General' started by Kid Nap, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Just feel like ranting since I'm home alone and the only ear I can confide in, is not an ear, but the GC boards.

I work in a kitchen. I have been since I was 16, I'm almost 23 now. I have been at my job for around 9 months now. I take pride in my work, and I think I'm damn good at what I do, but I also have the attitude where I'm not cocky or an asshole about it, I'm humble about it and I let my work speak for itself. This quack started working with us about 2 months ago, he's also my age. We'll call him Greg. Greg's had experience at his father's family owned Italian restaurant, mostly doing pizzas, strombolis, stuff like that. Our restaurant is alot different. Sautees, steaks, broiled seafood, an array of sandwiches, things like that.

Anyway, not that I don't like Greg, but he's not a very personable guy, friendly but also very dry. I like to have fun with co-workers, I was excited when I heard he was starting, but I don't dig his personality at all. Some of the other cooks and I have gotten pretty close, some real cool heads. Greg works part-time, maybe a total of about 16 hours a week. He's never been there for the early-morning prep, which gives me the notion that he has not a clue how we set-up each day for the rush. Also, when the rush comes, he's not as sharp as me or some of the other cooks, all who have been there longer than him.

Anyway, the manager, who is a very timid, clueless gentleman, told me tonight that Greg was being promoted to head of kitchen. The manager hardly spends any time in the kitchen, he doesn't know much about what REALLY happens behind the scenes. I was a bit surprised when he told me this, a little frustrated too. I'm not the type to start confrontations at the workplace, I'd rather just go with the flow of things and not start any tension seeing as I'm around these fuckers on a daily basis.

I'm pretty fucking confused as to why Greg got the position.... I'm thinking about leaving, I see this as a bad move on the manager's part. I mean I like all other aspects of the job, so it would suck to leave. Here's my problem with authority.....if someone that I'M SURE knows what they're doing, I have no problem abiding their guidelines. Other hand, if I have the feeling the person doesn't comprehend something completely and they try to tell me how to do MY job, I build up crazy resentment. I'm good at what I do, I like what I do, I like all other aspects of my job, I'm just took-off by what happened today and I see it potentially getting worse.

2. Get used to being under douchebag dumbasses who get their position for no reason.

Every job Ive had has one.

Just suck it up till he screws up, then get your entire department to complain untill they fire him.

3. ^^This.

In my opinion though, talk to your manager and see what is up. Show him the facts, this dude Greg is hardly there with little experience to how YOU guys operate. You have been working there longer, adapted to the everyday situations, work well with the fellow cooks so you would obviously be a better choice. Be assertive and confident and maybe he'll rethink the whole situation. This is only if you feel like you want the position, not if this is just about the manager promoting a newbie. When I have problems I go straight to the top, discuss it professionally. Sometimes things work out for the better, sometimes nothing happens. You just gotta give it a shot.

4. Ive even had one manager when I worked at TGI Fridays who was the biggest dick in the world. We get our tips weekly and he even tried to give me a HALF of a 20. Not $10, but literally, a half of a $20 bill...

5. I'd say definitely have a talk with the manager and let him know how you feel about it.
    If you personally don't want the position suggest someone else in the kitchen who is a better choice than Greg.

6. I would have been pretty pissed about that, did you take it?

It's not that I necessarily WANT the position, I just know he's the wrong man for the job. I'd be content with having the added responsibility and being compensated properly, but I'd rather bring someone else in who is observant, knows what they're doing, and has that role-model type persona. Someone that helps you develop your skills and teaches you new skills. I've worked in kitchens with leaders like that before, and it was always a great experience. I just can't see myself listening to this guy without being extremely discontent, knowing he's the wrong man for the job. I'll end up getting the feeling that I want to outdo him, which will just bring negativity to the whole situation

7. Fuck no. I went to the office so it wouldnt be in front of the customers, andI told him to get me a real one, or I would call the GM who I was tight with

8. Lols...that's keeping it real.