Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sick Kitty

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by GratefulShakes, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Hi All,

My beloved cat, Squishie, is 9 years old and became very thin this year. We've been to the vet, blood work came back normal. He's always been up to date on shots, indoor, fed vet quality food and spoiled.

I've been trying to fatten him up, but he won't eat much-normally, this cat is a champion eater and will go nuts for treats. He has always loved MJ and comes around to sit with me when I puff (I'd never force an animal to be around smoke-he's my only pet who seems to like it).

This weekend he started acting weak and his back legs are wobbly. He's sleeping, drinking water and peeing normally. Just not interested in food at all. I've got him parked in his bed in front of space heater.

My question is, can I help his lack of appetite and possible pain with MJ? We're going to vet this afternoon to see if he can get some conventional medical help. I imagine that smoke or oil in his food would stimulate appetite like it does for humans.

If we go to the vet and they say it is his time to pass, I will help him make the journey over the rainbow bridge. Obviously, I am hoping that he can be treated. I'll pay for whatever he needs if they can help him.

Does anyone have experience treating a sick animal with MJ? He weighs about 8 lbs. I appreciate any assistance or advice.

Thanks,
    Shakes

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. No expirence with cats and weed but that sucks to hear.

3. Thank you.

Sadly, I had to let Squishie go across the rainbow bridge this afternoon. He was my best friend, my little stoner buddy birthday on 4/20. I'll miss him forever.

Take a toke in honor of Mr. Squishie today.

• Like Like x 3
  4. #4 dabs710, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    If he's really sick and there's not too much the vet can do, you could try giving him the tiniest dose of some decarb'ed hash oil in his food. You don't want to overdose him, animals are sensitive.

Do not try blowing smoke at your cat.

Always remember to keep "medicine" in mind, animals don't care to get high like we do. Don't abuse your animal, treat it with respect (not insinuating the OP is, just a reminder for anybody who's reading this and wants to get their pets high).

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/05/medical-marijuana-pets-dogs-cats-horses

5. I don't believe cats have cannabinoid receptors. So it may not be phased by it 😒

6. @ Bacon, all mammals have CB receptors!

Cannabinoid receptors are absent in insects.       (abst - 2001)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11447587

"The endocannabinoid system also appears to be phylogenetically ancient--it occurs in mammals, birds, amphibians, fish, sea urchins, leeches, mussels, and even the most primitive animal with a nerve network, the Hydra."

@ Grateful Shakes, (((Hugs))). Sorry for your loss, hon.  I'm a "cat person", too.

Granny