sick greg's homemade 600 watt air cooled reflector

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by sick_greg, Jan 19, 2007.

1. i'm pulling ~ 1lb (at best) in a 2x3x5 cupboard from a 600. You DEFINITELY need a cool tube or similar to do this right. I couldn't for the life of me obtain the proper glass tube required for a cool tube, so I mocked up this addition to my batwing reflector and it works a treat! The 3 PC fans primarily cool the outside of the shield while a ~ 200cfm inline 6" duct fan sucks the heat away and exhausts through a carbon filter. I can bend the wings up to illuminate buds at the sides as well as everything below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. your idea there, is ingenious, i too have a batwing that now would be better if it waqs cooled down.

1 plant for all that light,,, you should have done 2 more,

+ rep to you for your mcgyverism.

3. Some info on the 'glass' addition to the reflector...

It's made from perspex which i got from the local hardware store, cut with a drop sawer, drilled with a drill and 'strung' together with lengths of wire. Here's a link re. perspex: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_glass
    To be fair, I really shouldn't recommend this material as a reflector shield!!! Read the link^^^. The melting point is 130-140C (265-285F). If a fan or something fucks up i might be in trouble! You should use tempered glass (even if it is a pain in the ass to cut/drill). I recommend you measure up, go to a glazier and get your (three) pieces of tempered glass cut and drilled there... then twist the thing together with some wire, attach the duct and something at the end, and you're good to go!!! I found that a fan or 2 cooling the outer side of the shield to be extremely helpful.

and thanx for the positive comments chicken.
    Re. 1 plant for all that light,,, you should have done 2 more
    Mate if i had more space and was more greedy I would! I've found that one longly vegged plant is the best method for me. I've tried up to six in there. The plant in the photo yielded 1lb.

4. is that plastic around the bulb?????

5. Hey man, that looks awesome. I'm going to try that cooling. Listen, how long in veg and flower was she? And did you say Blueberry?
    Again, Seriously cool.

6. is that plastic around the bulb?????

Don't mean to be rude, but fuck i posted a full description about that above^^^

how long in veg and flower was she? And did you say Blueberry?

I believe the strain is bubblegum, not sure though... i got a clone off a mate who said it was bubblegum. From memory the plant shown was cloned then vegged for about 8 weeks under a 70watt HPS (while another was flowering), and kind of bonsai pruned so it had big roots and fat main stems. Then it probably spent 2 weeks filling the screen, while i cut off a lot of growth aiming for several big fat branches suitable for good bud. Then for the first 2 to 3 weeks of flower more pruning was done (getting rid of potential crud bud away from main stems, like in SOG). I cut her down after a total of 8 weeks in 12/12. That picture is probably about 5 or 6 weeks into flower.

7. carlton draught
    AUSTRALIA

8. allright, ill watch this homemade, scrubber, your building sickgreg [ i like that name ] ive seen numerous home built scrubbers,all over the web.

i too in the next 4 wks. will also be building me one. this past weekend, i got a 170 cfm. inline hurricane fan. i aint put it online yet. but its one bad, mojo,,

lets just say, my exaust aint a problem no more.

i wish i was camera capable right now,, my current '' homemade'' exaust fan, would truly raise your homemaking apparatus eyebrow!!!!!

hopefully ill find this cord, and ill post a pic. of it it looks like a '' anteater''
    be cool!!!!:p

9. that thing is gonna melt....

10. ive been looking at your single plant there, my space is about the same as yours there, a single plant? on one of my future grows?

i do wont to know your ''technique'' for getting it to grow like that,, it looks like it was topped at about 6'' high,, and from there?:confused:

11. carlton draught
    AUSTRALIA

g'day mate

that thing is gonna melt....
    \t

Yeah, probably. Like i said it's made of a material that i really cannot recommend. Please people read what I said about that in previous posts.

I want to know your ''technique'' for getting it to grow like that,, it looks like it was topped at about 6'' high,, and from there?

mmm for now just read the threads in my sig below, theres some veg and pruning type info there. Keep posting here though people its what drives me.

12. Nice plant there greg, looks bubblicious.
    I would definetly be careful will that plastic panel, not only w/fire hazard but also over a longer period the plastic might dull or color.
    If you live in the U.S. any large art's and craft store (i.e. Michaels) has all different size hurricane glass for about $7.99
    Home Depot has 4" 90 degree pieces to move ducting around beams that works perfectly to mount tube to light base. (Bat-wing reflector works great with the tube)

The homemade carbon scrubber with the 4"-6" scrubber works GREATTTT....
    Just make sure to use at least 2 layers of the pantyhose the carbon goes everwhere..

Good Luck and have fun..

Attached Files:

13. well the perspex has served me well since '05... but you're not wrong

14. Pretty simple design

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. why didnt u just buy a proper cooltube?
    i got 1 for £34 delivered & a 2nd one which I converted into a twin bulb job for £10.
    That's complete with prewired e40 & batwing reflector.
    It's seriously not worth fkin about when they're so cheap.
    Very well made too.

Next step for me is watercooled hps to cut down noise. :cool:
    this is the only premade 1 ive seen - http://www.1-hydroponics.co.uk/grow-lights/water-cooled-600w.htm but i was planning a copper jacket similar to the kit used to watercool overclocked cpu's.

Glad it works for u like, but I cba making a cobbled up version when they are paenuts to buy :smoking:

16. ahhh i always wanted a 'proper' cool tube! But i wasn't gunna pay top dollar plus overseas shipping for something so simple. I'm working on a tempered glass version of this batwing mod real soon, in favor of the adjustable cupboard friendly reflector not found in a pre-fab cool tube. And i don't wanna order something like that either. But the main thing is the efficency of this design compared to a normal cool tube, and the simple fact that i had some time on my hands and love to build shit!

So yeah, each to his own method i just wanted to share some ideas.

All you need is a glazier (that stocks tempered glass),
    A batwing reflector (hmmm, free with lamp and ballast from a hydro shop?)
    A drill
    Some wire (that you can twist tie the thing together with)
    And a tape measure, some paper, and pen