Shrooms and Anti-depressants

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Fuel, Jul 5, 2008.

1. I was wondering if it's true that shrooms don't "work" when you're on anti-depressants.. I mean, I would say it's true, because I tried them twice while I was on them, and once when I was off of them for a week beforehand, and I only tripped the third time. But I also don't know if I took enough to even trip the first two times. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Dont dont dont dont dont.

Taking psyilocybin containing mushrooms while on an MAOI can dramatically increase the effects of the experience. MAOIs are most commonly found in the prescription anti-depressants Nardil (phenelzine), Parnate (tranylcypromine), Marplan (isocarboxazid), Eldepryl (l-deprenyl), and Aurorex or Manerix (moclobemide). Ayahuasca also contains MAOIs (harmine and harmaline). Check with your doctor if you are not sure whether your prescription medication is an MAOI.

3. Well I'm not on them anymore, and I'm not going to trip anytime soon. I was just wondering. But it certainly didn't increase anything, lol.

4. You're lucky. It's a psychological recipe for disaster in most cases.

5. Are SSRIs different from MAOIs? Cos the one I was on was an SSRI.

6. Yes they are. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

7. Well, I meant different in the way they react with shrooms. I know they're different types of medication. :p

8. Sorry, my friends tell me im way too literal :(

They ask what a cloud looks like and I say "a bunch of suspended water and ice particles".

9. MAOI's increase shroom effects, and it is debated what effects SSRIs have on a trip. I take an SSRI and I tripped pretty hard off of 2.1.

10. I've noticed that the first time you take a psychadelic you trip pretty hard as long as its a reasonable dose. (1/2 8th of shrooms) some may scoff at that small amount but there are many who have had quite profound trips from it. but i do know that when i took zoloft and later prozac, both SSRI's, my tolerance for psychadelics and ecstasy went through the roof. Even now i have to take more LSD, shrooms, or E to have a comparable experience to my friends. I dont take those drugs much at all so i know its not a natural tolerance. And im of average build , 5' 11" 160 lbs, so dont think it could be my size.