Shroom pickin... really?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by pgs king, May 2, 2009.

1. ive been reading up on gc and shroomery. do people really go out and pick wild mushrooms they find around hoping they will be hallucenogenic? this seems REALLY stupid, but if it works im down to try it myself. i know that people on shroomery can help id the ones you pick, but is there any tricks to it? or do i just go out and pick wild mushrooms and post pics of them? tell me what i need to know about picking my own mushrooms

2. They don't hope they are hallucinogenic. They identify active species. lol.

3. yes you dont go gamble with a mushrooms hoping youl trip nuts. shroomery.org is very helpful. look up on theere which active mushrooms grow wild in you area, in what environment, at what time of year, etc. then go shroom hunting. and wlays post it on shroomery.org to make sure you are correct. it also helps to get familiar with the poisonous lookalikes that are out there, which IMO you have to be an idiot to eat if youve done research

4. Yeah.. people dont just hope (the idiots might) they know
    I go picking every year, and have some experience and i can tell you i will not touch a mushroom if i do not know 100% its species, even then i will still go home and measure its features and do spore prints before i start selling/eating them. Knowing look alike mushrooms, that mimick the ones you want is the most helpfull thing imho, then you can weed them out from the start and not have a harvest of half good and half bad ones. If you know what your looking for, its a breeze. Just be carefull, go with someone who knows their shit the first time... or do a fuckload of research, like me :D

5. and to be a decent mushy picker, you need to be somewhat of a meteorologist cuz good shrooms only grow under certain conditions so its kind of like surfing in that you have to do your homework in order to have the maximum amount of fun :)

6. Ahahaha... Of course we don't just go out picking random shrooms hoping their the right kind.. I mean come on.. The nice thing about most psilocybes is they tend to stick out when you have an eye for them. The brown/tan cap with thick white stalk, and blue bruising is a dead give away usually, but this doesn't necessarily mean it's a psilocybe. Could be a gallerina or something very deadly, so proper identification is necessary

7. Darwinism teaches us which mushrooms not to eat.