Shoving philosophies down throats

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by 1Trismegistus1, Nov 17, 2011.

1. There is a difference between questioning your beliefs and making fun of others.

I may or may not agree with your belief in G-d, but providing that you are causing me no harm or loss I respect your human right to religious freedom. I also expect you to respect my right of religious (or lack of) freedom.

Seriously...what difference does it make to you if I believe in G-d? You can prove for a fact that there is no G-d? Part of me would like to say I would love to hear his reasoning, but then another part of me realises that the logical fallacies will drive me insane.

It's funny how the G-d subject gets everyone rattled. I mean if I am causing you no harm or loss to you then what difference does it make what I believe in? If you want to put a sticker on your car, go ahead, it's your car. If no one can have stickers on cars then we should remove all the sports related ones, I don't like seeing stickers of other teams, though I respect your right to support lesser football teams.

Seriously, are you so insecure about your lives that you need to go out and poke fun at people? Take the chill pill. Better, go after all the McDonalds posters because they are turning you into a nation of morbidly obese people. Go after all the Diet Coke posters too, cause they are poisoning you with Aspartame, hell take a step forward and look up who introduced Aspartame...Don Rumsfeld...war! Get it? Instead all you do is get rattled by posters about G-d.

Respect each other. Atheists are in the same group as religious fanatics. Seriously, does it bother you that much that I believe in source/creator? Funny how they chose not to mock Mohammed. Petty people who thrive on shock value. Lower frequency feeders. You have a right to put a sign up saying there is no G-d, as long as you are not making fun of other people.

Seriously...go after mcdonalds.

A church is a place of worship. As long as you are not causing harm or loss to anyone it is your human right of religious freedom. If you know the sign to be offensive, then don't post it? Respect each other. This is not a case of your wrong is worse than my wrong, it's universal law. Cause no harm or loss.

2. sorry if this is off topic........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiF8wKobF68]The Rugburns - I Hate Christmas - YouTube[/ame]

ok......im not sorry;):smoke:

3. Oh c'mon, don't play blind at this point. You know more Christians (and religious people) bash atheists than the other way around and most of us don't even care. Live and let live; something a lot of Christians don't understand (some atheists either). How is it offensive when you question something (even if its "crude", like those billboards)?

Sound to me like some kind of weird religious-political correctness.

And if religious people get offended by those signs, that means they are afraid of what (forbidden) thoughts might arise in their head as a result of questioning their own unfounded beliefs.

I say, let those billboards stay to spread truth and reason, something which us humans clearly need if we want to stop all this discriminatory madness in the world. Let us base our beliefs on science, logic and reason and not on superstition, fear and ignorance.

Remember, cause no harm or loss.

4. [​IMG]

fair game

5. I guess I know a lot of Christians, my country is mostly Christian. Do I get bashed on a daily basis? No. Do I bash others? No. Basically what you are saying is that because a minority of G-d believing people bash others, it is fair to go around and bash people as well. In fact, a pre-emptive bashing is probably best to avoid any further instances. An eye for an eye will leave everyone blind. Don't you see the futility of it?

If you want to go out and put 300,000 signs up...go ahead but maybe could you offer something more than simply mocking someone else's beliefs? In one way or another religions teach kindness, love, compassion and empathy. Ok there is no G-d, what next? Where can I go to answer all the spiritual questions that I have? Is there some sort of Atheist church? Somewhere I could go and understand this journey I am on? If you can only make a point by mocking others then you are worth very little, regardless of who you are.

I guess the fine line is where you offend, and to me that line is when you start putting up images of Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed or any other religious copyright icons. Ok there is no G-d, but do you really have to make fun of my beliefs? I'm not making fun of you for not believing in a G-d, I respect your right to believe that, it's your journey. It's a basic human right Freedom of religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

So the boards should stay to stop all the discriminatory madness in the world? So being ridiculed for believing in something that you don't is going to make me a more tolerant person? Lost in logical fallacies :confused: I mean do you laugh at everyone who does not see life as you do?

I have no problems basing my beliefs in logic, the problem starts when others start presenting false logical arguments. I embrace science but there are a lot of things that science can not explain yet. You see ultimately spirituality and science will merge, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Put up an anti-mcdonalds poster much more effective. Better health = happiness. But then again all you can seem to do is poke fun of others, justify it to yourselves as a lesser evil, massage your egos and get fat.

6. Haha that's awesome. I fucking hate the holidays, everytime some one says happy Christ mas I tell them to fuck off. All these corporation owned religions do is get you to spend a shit ton of money in December. Oh well the half retards will blow their money buying gifts for everyone while I sit back and laugh.

7. Try living next to a church that comes to your door daily asking to read you bible verses.

It's okay for them though, because they believe it is the right thing

Right? :p

I think they keep coming back because I told them I was an Atheist the first time they ever came. Now they are trying to convert me hardcore. Borderline stalking status

8. Well considering religion has imposed itself on humans for eons, I think your argument is not that solid. Just let those signs be. If you are sure of what you believe, then let them be, why should they trouble you?

9. not really because athiests are not using any spiritual philosophy system.

we arent shoving our ideas down peoples throat, we are simply asking people to think logically

10. Actually Catholisism stole those holidays from the pagans and put their own twist on them to convert pagans to "christianity". The imaginary master you speak of made no statements about people starting any holidays. There is nowhere in the new testament that sais exactly when christ was born and the old testament actually speaks against holidays and the customs of man and practices that are now being done in the name of "christianity".

11. I wouldn't call the message of the signs to think logically, that part is the smallest part of the sign.

The big part, that everyone will see, is "You KNOW it's a myth." and "7some number Americans know MYTHS when they see one, which ones do you see".

The teeny tiny part about "celebrate reason" isn't in big bold letters, signs use the large text to get their main point across, this one being "Your religion is false and we KNOW it". That is not logic, without direct experiential evidence you can not know anything.

Likewise it is worth noting that by the particular circumstances of the story of Jesus' birth, he would have been born sometime in the spring.

12. Scroll up, re-read. If still uncertain repeat.

13. Mysticism is gay!

14. #35 Postal Blowfish, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
    Pardon, but that sounds exactly like what this thread is.

Except that in your case, the weight of the entire culture bends toward you, while you complain about those who fight against the same and call it "shoving philosophies down your throat." You could ignore this easily, since you could turn to anywhere else and see the complete opposite, but it seems you have nothing better to do but complain and accuse.

So you're pointing at people who are pointing out how silly this tradition is as your example of how bass-ackwards they are?

Yeah, that makes total sense.

If the point is that children like to get gifts and believe in Santa and the whole message is kind of spoiling it, I sympathize. But trying to cast it as some kind of backward "foolish logic" is itself a very loud kind of projection.

15. These atheist signs aren't any different than the signs down the interstate where I live boldly proclaiming "HELL IS REAL" and pictures of fetuses. And all you're doing is complaining about one while saying the other is okay.

That's the only thing "ass backwards" in this thread, honestly.

Or how about when I went to one of my best friends funerals earlier this year? He was a stout atheist and the preacher took his time to tell every single one of his friends (who are in a sobbing mess over the loss of their friend) that they need to make peace with Jesus and find christianity?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

While I don't agree with anyone shoving anyone's beliefs down another person's throat, fighting fire with fire is a good way to get the point across.

16. Are we talking about a stupid bill board ad? Who cares????

17. [quote name='"Farm Dawg"']Are we talking about a stupid bill board ad? Who cares????[/quote]

But its teh athetits!

18. Since you guys can't read, I supposedI will elaborate. I said nothing about religious signs being ok and these ones are bad. The point of this thread, the reason I see it as backwards, is that atheists bitch and moan about "don't shove you're beliefs down my throat" (exact words 90% of the time) and then do it themselves with their own views via this sign. There is a word for that, it is called hypocrisy