Shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by TwiztidToker24, Dec 16, 2011.

1. So I have been lifting for about 5 months or so now, Im not sure. Anyways recently have had pain in the front of my left shoulder, sort of directly above the creases of my armpit. I feel the pain most when I bench press or do dumbbell flies. Its not horrible but its painful. If I keep lifting I can push through it, which is prlly a bad idea. Anybody know what this could be from and what it is? Also I thought my bench press form was pretty good, maybe not absolutely perfect but still I can't find anything wrong with it except I don't go all the way down to my chest. I go like an inch above because I feel like it strains my shoulders too much if i go to far down. Dumbbell flies on the other hand Im not sure about my form. Its probably wrong even though I have been shown how to do them. Any thoughts?

2. Is there any deformity in the shoulder? Any bones out of place?
    If overhead movements hurt, it might be an AC separation.

[​IMG]

Or it could just be muscle strain on your front delts. I would stop exercising for a few days and if the pain persists, seek information from a better source.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. +rep for the advice.

I also have the same problem, in the exact same position, that starts on the exact same exercises. It also plays up a bit when I do chest dips.

4. well first off are you doing any mobility/stretching prior to lifting? It can usually be basic shit like that which affects you.

5. Care to give some examples? I kinda do arm swings where you rotate your arm around your shoulders in both directions, dunno if that's what you meant though.

6. Yeah do some lat shrugs and shoulder stretches with a band. Ask someone who works at your gym to show you the proper form for the stretches though.

7. #7 infiniteawesome, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2011
    Always warm up by doing planks, this will prevent you from performing the exercise improperly. Muscles that are not warmed up are more prone to injury.

Do bodyweight exercises like push ups, pull ups, and dips in conjunction with your weight routine as well as the occasional bout of cardio, light jogging works wonders on the body.

The push up in particular is good for the shoulder because it works your pressing strength while also promoting the growth of stabilizer muscles throughout your whole body. Plus you're only using your bodyweight and there's less chance of injury if you push to failure.

Hanging on the pullup bar with your shoulder muscles flexed (do not just dead hang, contract your shoulders a little) will also stretch your shoulders and create overall grip strength. The stretch will also help imrpove your pressing numbers, as pulls and presses are complimentary exercises, each necessary to increase overall proficiency at each exercise.

Stretch after every workout to ensure flexibility.

Occasionally self massage to encourage blood flow to the muscles and to alleviate the symptoms of delayed onset muscle soreness.

Eat Lean Meat, Eggs, Fish, Milk, Yogurt, and at least seven servings of fruits and vegetables every day, small meals in 3 hour intervals. Never let yourself get too hungry, have something to eat on hand at all times throughout the day.

Sleep 8 to 10 hours every night, depending on the intesity of your workout.

Rest fully (barely any activity other than getting around) at least once to twice a week. Alternate your training days with different exercises. Body weight exercises one day, weights another, and cardiovascular/coordination exercises on light days (but not full rest day(s)).

Hope that helps..That or you could follow kalamitous K's advice in my sig!