Should YouTubers ask for Donations?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Jane_Bellamont, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Controversial topic of the year - should YouTubers ask for donations?

Seen many YouTubers do it before. Many live off donations combined with adsense revenue - particularly the YouTubers who mainly just talk on their videos .. be they political commentators or video game bloggers

Stefan Molyneux is one example I can name off my head. Freedomain Radio is basically the same as a church. What's even creepier is that the guy constantly mixes his ideas of psychology, and how to raise children .. with his right-wing political beliefs.

It's probably one thing if you're working on an expensive production or something .. like a documentary .. but if you're just sitting there talking to a camera, then that's kinda sleazy .. lol

I myself used to have a donation button on my channel for a while, although I've decided to remove it. .

I'd much rather be thought of as a hustler, a player .. ... a businesswoman .. not some circus clown with a money basket. :cool:

Receiving donations kinda turns you into a people pleaser too, but if you know that you have the ability to make cash from other sources .. then you're practically independent .. you can make whatever videos you want, and who gives a fuck if some dickwad doesn't like it.. whereas if you rely on donations, and somebody suddenly decides they no longer like your channel .. that's gonna suck.

My 2 cents. :pimp:

• Like Like x 1
  2. ^ ^

I would donate to someone for research purposes, not for entertainment... especially since they already make more than an average salary looking like a jackoff on camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I don't mind if someone asks for support, if people are interested in doing so, AFTER the video and content is complete. People that ask for subs and donations before the main part of the video is repugnant. People saying, "if you like this any support is appreciated" is annoying though more acceptable. Either way, a lot of these people are getting pretty good dough if their videos are breaking 50,000-100,000 views per video and monetized. If it's their lifeline I understand though it should be done with a semblance of taste and understanding. You're right about people pleasing though, two major things I find on self-released media are either forced self deprecation and false positivity. It always leaves a bad taste.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you're making content for reasons beyond just producing money, then ya donations are great. if you’re just spending your time selling out and trying to squeeze every penny out of your viewers then that’s when it gets "sleazy." I have personally donated a fairly large amount of money to one of my favorite streamers on twitch. he doesn’t try to shove donations down people’s throat. in general, he doesn’t even mention it. he still makes enough money from donations and subscriptions to support himself. Really though with donations I think it's mostly a matter of how much you want to sell yourself. it's a fine balance between making content that supports you and being a sleazy channel that is only in it for the money. no matter what you do as a content creator over time people will start disliking your content and leave but that’s the same with any business. your viewers are your customers and you can't make every customer happy. Instead you just have to focus on bringing in new viewers and expanding the audience you have. which comes back to how much do you want to sell yourself. asking people to give your video a like and sharing it at the end of a video is fine in my opinion but when you start every video with "hay guys remember to like subscribe and share this video" and throw in something along the lines of a like goal then you are going too far in my opinion but that limit of selling your self is different for everyone. in my opinion the most important thing is simply being upfront about why your receiving donations and making it worth the donners wild not by using cheap gimmicks but by producing quality content you are proud of despite getting or not getting donations.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Careful Jane, they'll have you dancing naked while sucking a lollipop.

When I think about it though, it would keep you fit but go for the sugar free lollipops.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Only thing they're gonna get from me is a dislike :smoking:

7. disliking does the same thing as liking on youtube. if a video is getting disliked or liked it's still generating the traffic which is what drives the video higher in the search results. if you truly want to dislike a video then don't click any of the buttons.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sorry lady, we don't accept donation's here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I don't care about generating traffic. I care about letting someone know what I think of their video :p

10. Lmao I'm looking out after myself I'm not paying someone to rant on a camera while making me watch ads fuck that.... Look at the successful ones who marketed outside of YouTube I can't help it that people who expect to live off of social media aren't keeping up with the times nor do I quiet frankly care they can get a job

• Like Like x 1
  11. i think its fine. nobody is forcing you to pay. if a youtuber has a small group of diehard supporters that are feeling generous and want to show that generosity by chipping in some money, so be it.

plus only the very top of the youtube pyramid make enough money from ads alone to make a real living. if you really like a smaller channel and want to support them and help them grow, donating is probably a great thing to do.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sure, why not?
    Gotta make a living some way.

13. Well considering for alot of them they put alot of hours into video editing/behind the scenes work, and for quite a few those channels are how they eat, I don't see a problem with supporting good work.

Now sometimes when I see the "biggest donation of the month" banner for some of them and you see 1 guy donated 5 grand to 1 twitch streamer, it's like who has 5 grand to just blow on a streamer that u like lol.

14. Twitch.tv
    Perfect example of youtubers asking for donations and live no less.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. You can make legit money off youtube. If you get enough subscribers, youtube will pay you for it. I know this because Subcool420 mentioned it in one of his episodes.

16. One of the dudes i anomynously check on daily has 700K+ subs. He features no ads so you're saying the tube pays him? Damn! Didnt know that. Any guess on approx $'s?

17. It's like 5 dollars per thousand views. And if you don't monetize your videos you don't make anything, so channels with no ads on their videos don't make shit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ad revenue is based off view count and a certain amount of money per 1000 views (from like $0.50-$4, which depends on the time of the year) and also can get sponsorships and ad deals outside of YouTube. A good sight to check you tubers stats is social blade. It gives you a range of how much a YouTuber could make

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  19. Holy moses man. I just checked secureteam10 out and I'm floored at the stats. Floored....l

20. Ad revenue will soon become obsolete, though .. considering the high amount of people using Adblock.

Theres just no way to make decent money off youtube .. unless youre among the top 100 at least .. so just have fun and live for the love and adoration .. :pimp: