Should we really care about healthy fats ?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by yoyoloto, Mar 1, 2014.

1. #1 yoyoloto, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
    How's it going guys

All the time I hear about how there are ''good'' and ''bad'' fats, which supposedly help lowering the bad cholesterol and have other benefits. The list is long, but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for on the web so I'm gonna ask those of you who know this stuff: 

Do ''healthy'' fats somehow produce less body fat ,or is it the exact same thing as saturated fat minus the health benefits ?

To put it bluntly, should you care about whether the fats you eat are healthy if all you care about is how they influence your body fat % ?

2. Yes. It goes beyond body fat percentage. Healthy fats aid in hormone production, brain function, lowering cholesterol levels and plenty of others.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #4 yoyoloto, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
    I'm not sure I understand, are you saying that healthy fats do NOT make you fat ? Also when you talk about hormones does it include testosterone ?

TinTizzy I already read that article, it doesn't talk about body fat or fat gain.

4. No fats specifically make you fat, too many calories makes you fat. Eating the necessary fats in your diet shouldn't lead you to gain weight, unless you're adding them without removing something else, or working out more. Both healthy and unhealthy fats do contain a lot of calories, of course, but fats are a necessary part of our diet.

And getting enough fat and cholesterol is important for testosterone production.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/82/1/49.full
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15741266?dopt=Abstract
    http://www.ergo-log.com/olivetest.html

Last one is an article about olive oil, and the role it plays in our bodies converting cholesterol into testosterone.

5. Idgaf about fat I'll eat lard straight from the jar , I'm living la vida loca babe

• Like Like x 1
  6. Healthy fats are definitely one of the most important macros you need to be taking in.

And yeah for men they are needed for healthy test production. Healthy fats can actually help you lose weight.

One of the biggest differences in healthy and unhealthy fats is that unhealthy fats clog up your arteries and create "visceral" fat aka fat around your organs.  This causes your organs to function improperly and sometimes fail ie heart attack

7. "This means that unsaturated or good fats like polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats have fewer calories than saturated fats"

8. Ohhh thats super cool man I'll heat more healthy fats from now on. I bought 4-4 avocados yesterday I had half of one tnis morning and it tastes good. hmm good I cant wait to see the gains I get from this.

9. healthy fats r extremely important for brain functioning and i cant remember exactly what it was but it had something to do with absorption of nutrients

10. Coconut oil and hemp oil and avacados are all the good fats you want. They burn fat and provide you with energy. Also necessary for bodily function.

So start cooking with some hemp oil and support the hemp movement!

11. what kind of question is this obviously you need to care about healthy fats lol

fat should make up the majority of your diet