Should we look in certain areas to find alien life?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sc0pe, Jul 4, 2013.

1. I was thinking to better our chances of finding alien life we should look at areas that had been high density star clusters since life needs heavier elements to exist which could have come from the previous generation of stars

2. I dont think they'll ever appear to us unless they want to be detected....Why would they want humans breathing down their necks? 
    No seriously, I think they've found us already vs. us finding them. They just fuck with us with sightings. haha.. 

Sorry that wasn't a reply to your observation...which I think is reasonable considering the Earth/Sun relationship.

3. Well stars are what, like light years away, million of light years away. So we are seeing into the part when we look at other planets, right? What if they have aliens living there but they are to far away, in the past, to see?

Like they could have found earth, but have been a billion light years away and they only see dinosaurs roaming earth or maybe just a barren planet that has yet to have dinosaurs?

Idk if I'm making sense, I'm not the best with words and explanations, especially when I heard this once and can't remember how it went.

Don't judge. :smoking:

4. Made perfect sense bro I think about this a lot.

5. Galaxies are millions of ligth years away - plus we could never resolve the stars in them well enough to detect planets.
    So we are looking in our galaxy where stars will be at most less than 100,000ly away (around 75ly away at most).

Current life-planet-finding surveys do look in certain areas - for example, they dont expect llife to form on stars a certain distance from the galactic center because of the high level of radiation that would kill anything organic in the area.

We also wouldn't loook in places like globular clusters because they are old and have low metallicities so it is unlikley planets would have ever really formed.

6. #6 Earth Ling, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
    No. We humans should worry about the life that is already found and figure ways on preserving this planet for as long as we can.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYx-sgiBuaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdILmgJGuvw

7. considering the vastness between us and other solar systems, and the difficulties we would have to go through to get any sort of data, id say our best bet to find alien life would probably be mars.

probably not on the surface, but deep in the rocks, im almost positive, is teeming with microbial life, or remnants of it.

8. Money talks.

Space expeditions are very very very expensive.

Scientists need sponsers. And sponsers want guerentee that their money is well spent.

So yes. If you want your advebture to find life to be paid for, youd better have some science backing up your claim that life is possible where your going.

Yea we should search everywhere. But that logic wont win you billions of dollars in grants!

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. I wouldnt say "they" as if "they" are the only ones.

Yea its possible someone knows about us. If so, odds are other lesser advanced societies are even more common

10. Interesting ideas guys, i dont know what it is about me and thinking about life and space when i am high haha

11. Its very common

12. Stay away from the politics and religions sections.

Its a trap

13. Dr. Kaku in the film from post #6 touched on my concept of your question.

There is no point in looking for aliens anywhere ... Globular clusters, the outer rim of the galaxy, whatever ... because

One of two things happen:
    1.  They blow themselves up ("blowing up" includes biological warfare, creating killer machines, biological stupidity, etc.), or

2.  They reach a point where their resources are used up, and spend the rest of their existence (until a big rock or ice cube hits them) gardening.

Let me flesh it out a little:
    No matter what the creature is, it had to evolve from an ordinary creature with a smaller brain.  Before, and during the transition from a little to a bigger brain, the creature must have instinctual mechanisms to keep it alive.  In our case, we are greedy, and superstitious.  I dont mention that to disparage people, its just the way we are.

Before the 1950's it was great to greedy and superstitious.  One could make a lot of money, have a lot of offspring, and rationalize it all by quoting from the bible (Koran, what have you).  Now, the time has passed where that is sustainable but people are still doing it as if it is.  They continue doing so because they are hard wired to do it and cannot stop.  We apes have other instincts that do not mesh with our present society as well.  

If we had evolved in a swamp (Kiff, Yoda, the Ferringi) rather than the savanna we might have other survival mechanisms/instincts, but the odds that those instincts would be suited to a technological society are (IMO) vanishingly small.  So ...

They do (more or less) what we are doing:
    1.  Create and sustain as long as possible massive population overshoot.
    2.  Utilize the ecosystem past sustainability.
    3.  Burn their fossil fuels up, 

and if they are lucky (i.e.  do not blow themselves up)

4.  discover that that last little recessionary/depressionary cycle put them in a position where they cannot gather the resources (technology, big equipment, etc.) needed to recover and process any more of the fossil fuels still on the planet.

At that point, they are instantly thrown into an early farming economy and society with a very small population held stable by hunger and disease and they have no way to get out of it whether they remember the science and technology learned during their peak or not.

(I assume that any technological society grows because of the existence of fossil fuels.  If there are scarce fossil fuels (too little carbon on the planet), the society never reaches even our state of development.  If there is too much carbon on the planet, it will make a Venus like climate in short order and snuff out any life.  So the planet must exist in the right orbit around a very favorable star and must have just the right amount of carbon.  So you think a technological society can come into existence without fossil fuels?  How?)

So, that equation that purports to find the number of technological societies in the universe needs another term.  Call it the "societies that are made up of creatures that evolved to exist in a technological society variable".  Duh.  I looked it up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

So, the Drake Equation becomes:
    N = R * f[SUB]p [/SUB]* n[SUB]e[/SUB] * f[SUB]l[/SUB] * f[SUB]i[/SUB] * f[SUB]c[/SUB] * L * P[SUB]intada[/SUB]

and N is always zero because P[SUB]intada[/SUB] is always zero.

Prove me wrong.

14. What is P variable you added in?

LOL   :laughing:

16. #16 CosmosYEM, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
    hahahahahaha wow i see it now. ::facepalm::

In any case, Pintada, aren't you ignoring the very real possibility that there exists other forms of energy other than fossil fuels that could in fact sustain the technological civilizations past the point you said the no longer could sustain and revert back to farming?

OK, Name one.

The laws of physics are pretty uniform throughout the universe and so chemistry works the same everywhere.

Name one.

18. Nuclear energy

LOL

Seriously?

So rather than invent the heat engine Carnot (or his alien equivalent) went out with his horse and gathered some yellow rocks, brought them home, Refined them in a woven reed basket, built a high efficiency centrifuge (also pulled by a horse), put the resulting enriched Uranium into a steel reactor (made with what?  Oxen??  They made them run round and round until they melted the iron?  Melted the steel with wood??) 

Try again.

You can't make a high tech material / energy source without some low tech power to get started.

BTW
    No, wood will not burn that hot.

20. I know dude i was being silly...

All.civilizations likely start on fossile.fuels