Should we drug test US citizens as a process to qualify for food stamps?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PhillGates, Jan 21, 2011.

1. lmfao that would be so mean hahahaha.

but logically yes. maybe to avoid drug dealers?

i dunno druggies dont have to eat right?

oo my names phil and i like ur name. might have to jack it sometimes:p

2. If we're going to have food stamps I think they should go to people who don't waste their money on things like drugs or rims.

3. While it would be nice, its WAY to exspensive to do that lmao. I dont know if you guys ever have been drug tested or anything, but its like 30-40 a pop for a full scan. Would you test everyone in the house? Every month? While i think its a good idea, its exspensive and pretty invasive on your rights as well.

4. Yes, imagine how much munchies all those damn potheads are eating!

5. Y' know, I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard this, and just thought how fucking rude it sounded.

Then again, when I use to work at Wal-Mart every first of the month, we always had (at least what appeared to be) druggies invading our side of town.

*and yeah, there's not too many of us Phill's around here :p

6. They shouldn't be able to buy cigarettes or alcohol with that logic.

7. But they shouldn't. :confused_2: Food stamps should be for people who can't afford food, not for people who choose not to buy food with their money.

Maybe in the dystopian future when all currency is electronic the state will be able to block recipients from spending on vices. The invasion of privacy would be a great way to discourage people from becoming tax feeders.

8. Probably so. It's not like you need any of these or the latter to survive.

9. #10 J-DILLA, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    I think it's a good idea. I can bet there are many people who require food stamps because of their drug spending habits. Food stamps are a privilege, not a right...........

10. Just because someone tests positive for drugs, doesn't mean that they spend money on drugs. A friend or neighbour could be smoking a blunt from time to time with the person getting tested. I actually know a few people who only smoke weed when it's offered because they can't afford to buy it.

11. #12 J-DILLA, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    Drugs are illegal in the first place, so why should the government give you food stamps if you are breaking the law, regardless if you're buying them or not.

Goddamn druggies feel they're entitled to everything......:p

12. /[​IMG]

13. 30-40:confused: What kind of Drug tests are you taking, they using Electron Microscopes or what? I'm currently on Probation and apart of the TASC random Drug Screening program, I call an automated number and if they say my color I gotta go take a piss, and that only costs 7 bucks a pop. Its the basic test sure but that should suffice when dealing with Food Stamps users.

I don't agree with Drug tests though, not until they start testing Congress, the Executive branch and the Judicial branch higher-ups daily.:cool:

14. Well I don't know about the US, but in Canada, our constitution states that(paraphrasing) "every citizen of Canada is entitiled to a reasonable standard of living." Now if you find yourself in a situation where you need welfare assistance or aid of some sort, through no fault of your own, then it would be illegal for the government to deny you that assistance regardless of what any drug test said.

15. But Canadians don't get drug tested when applying for social programs. The whole point of this debate is whether or not US citizens should be drug tested in order to qualify for food stamps.

I think Canada should come up with a similar program, as our social welfare program is vastly abused by junkies and anyone with a "sore throat."

16. yes..

drug tests for food stamps, and unemployment checks.. please!!

17. I'm surprised and disappointed at how many people voted no.

18. Each situation is different. The dude that smokes a little weed throughout the month versus someone who smokes a lot... I can see why you would want to stop giving them free stuff.

19. Probably all the stoners who feel their illegal habit is justified and thus consider a privilege as a right.