Should we celebrate Bin Laden's death?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Amanda Spelling, May 3, 2011.

1. #121 aero18, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2011
    And tell me, how many thousands of civilians did Al Qaida and the Taliban kill? The suicide bombings of public squares and markets, public stonings, public beatings of underage women of forced marriage?

Who blew up women's schools? Who doused schoolchildren with acid? Who beheaded police officers who felt indebted to their country to stop sectarian violence?

Civilian casualties are a fact of war. There are undoubtably crimes that American soldiers have committed, but to say that every single civilian casualty is a purposeful attack against a civilian population is a gross exaggeration. The real terrorists are the religious fundamentalists who actively try to break the fabric of a functioning society. They attack more civilians then they do American soldiers.

You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that there is not some closure to this.

2. #122 Kegdas, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
    Do you have downs? Al-Qaeda was NEVER in Iraq before the Saddam Regime fell. Most civilian causalities are on United-States hands. And even if what you say is true (which it is not), these imaginary killings were the cause of the US destroying the Iraqi Government. You label yourself a secularist but don't you realize we turned Iraq into an extremist shithole? And the only reason we did it was because of OIL and not liking Saddam? What about the millions of Christians that fled Iraq once it was clear that the Iraqi army was defeated? They didn't flee before because they loved Al-Qaeda! Right? But as soon as Iraq was invaded, and after all the major fighting stopped, most Christians left Iraq for Syria.

After the Saddam regime fell, casualties were still high about a year after, and then by the end of the year all the nationalist groups broke up. The nationalist groups did not cause the deaths, but the US army targeting nationalists sloppily did.

And, I must say, you ARE describing the Afghanistan war, which I guess I can support, because it is trying to root out Taliban/Al-Qaeda, crazy Terrorist groups.

But these groups shouldn't have, and wouldn't have ever existed if the US didn't support the fuck out of Israel, who spends most of the aid they get on more weapons, weapons that target and kill civilians. I mean, how do we support a country that has committed countless war crimes, forcefully vacated millions of Christians and Muslims from their land, tear down their homes, do not give them right to return and targets the civilians when they can to support terror? A country that brought nukes to the Middle-East but refuses to sign the Non-Nuclear Proliferation Act? No, Hezbollah and the militant wing of Hamas aren't any better, they both deserve equally to be jailed for a long time. I say that because fighting for freedom is great and all, but if by doing so you target civilians, fuck that.

Not to mention Rachel Corrie or the USS Liberty. The USS Liberty was a neutral US research ship off the coast of Gaza. Israel intentionally targeted this boat, with a clear and visible US flag. Israel said it was a mistake, they thought it was Egypt, but the surviving crewmembers (a bit over 150) mostly believe it was intentional, and they were going to blame the attacks on Egypt, so US can join the war on their side. And Rachel Corrie was a 21 year old American who came to Palestine to protest the harsh rule over Palestinian land by the Israelis. An Israeli had a bulldozer and was about to tear down a Palestinian home, when she stood in front of the home for protest. They ran her over without a second thought.

3. I don't think we should ever celebrate someone's death. We don't celebrate Hitler's death, and he did things a lot worse than Osama

4. so according to you, 9/11 victims were casualties of war too, so why the double standards as if it's ok to have some 'casualties' as long as it happens overseas, right? yeah, if any country should be invaded by the US for gross violation of human/woman's right, it's Saudi Arabia. do you think that's gonna happen anythime soon?

you have to be crazy or blind to think that it's not 'purely business' why wars are started these days. maybe asking yourself why these ' religious fundamentalists" would go halfway around the world so as to scam up some plot to pilot some planes into some buildings would be a good 1st step. the real terrorist are the fuckin policians and the government that train and funds them (like Osama was) before they 'turn' into terrorist.

people need to see the losses that happens on both sides of a war, instead of dismissing casualties as 'faceless' deaths and a 'fact' of war.

5. i love the what america used to stand for, so i guess in a way you are right. i would have loved the government of like 1780 but i hate it now

6. so you've never been to Israel then? lol jk