Should we celebrate Bin Laden's death?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Amanda Spelling, May 3, 2011.

1. I don't see anything wrong with celebrating Bin Laden's death. I see it as a positive thing, and even though I am not celebrating, I completely understand and would encourage others to do so.

2. No matter how horrible the person, no one's death should be celebrated. Bin Laden isn't dead anyway, just mire government conspiracy. Where's the hard evidence?

3. “I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” –Martin Luther King, Jr.

4. #104 sunsett70, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
    america's 'defence budget' is at usd600-800b a year, around half that of worldwide military spending. a lot of money in this gravy train. so yeah, 'starting wars' is just another day for american politicians and their financial backers (fuckin oil/pharma/logging etc corporations).

what happened in 9/11 was that the 'war' came home and american public got a first hand taste of it and didn't like it. whereas previously, they'd read on newspaper about some farmers and their family getting killed (collateral damage) in some war in some faraway land and just conveniently turn the page and life is all good again. this time however, the reality of war interfered with their diet of playstations, xboxes, hollywood movies and mcdonalds supersized meals. well, innocents have been suffering from over aggresive US foreign agenda whether it was in vietnam, starting a coup in latin america (chile, panama, nicaragua etc) or wars in middle east designed as pr campaigns to 'restore democracy' or protect 'american interest' ie big business interest. war has and always will be big business for america, and it will continue to be so until the public can stop the politicians.

and for the retards who thinks it's ok to celebrate osama's death, it's just as retarded as people who think it's ok to celebrate american deaths. fuckin politicians and those big corporations have been playing around with people's life for years. america is a wonderful country with generally, a great bunch of folks but it's name has been sullied by those freaking war-mongering politicans over the years, too much blood, man.

p/s - were those 3000 lives lost in 9/11 any more precious than 400+ unarmed civilians (including children and babies) killed in the My Lai Massacre or the people of vietnam who paid so heavy a price in the war ? more precious than the supposed 60k innocents that perished in the iraq war? does the answer depend on where you are from?

i got back from vietnam awhile back and people there are still paying for the effects of agent orange shit the american govt sprayed during the war. you'd be pissed too if your kids were born with one eye, 3 legs, one hand and half a dick. maybe you'd pissed enough to think about ramming a freaking plane into the white house, y'know.

5. There is no arguing with this. Very well put.

6. If you guys saw the new designs of the world trade center buildings, you would be celebrating his death too.

7. #107 Infamousnj69, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Why do you say that?

8. celebrating a victory again our enemy?

yep, i celebrated.

9. no because his death meant jack shit

not like we're pulling out of the middle east any time soon..

10. it depends who's easier to kill. the government hates competition.

11. He inspired religious fanatics to kill human beings. He even funded some of their training.

Now, his death was more symbolic than tactical, as his influence has slightly waned as he has gone into hiding. But that doesn't mean that he should not have been brought to justice.

Any person who wants to take the rights of other human beings to live deserves to not exist.

...I like to think that his corpse was pulled apart by hungry animals in the deep sea. That's as useful as he will ever be.

12. I wasn't dancing in the streets about it but it brought some closure and I'm just happy the fucker is finally gone.

13. It looks shitty in my opinion

[​IMG]

14. i have yet to read a single post in this thread...

obviously theere is only one answer...

No

I say this for one reason..

just because we dispose of the man that caused "terror" on us, by no means should we celebrate.

We are fucking americans, sure we killed him, but we are better than that bull shit. we need to be the better person and keep calm and continue forward.

No need for celebration. its a fucking person, not a trophy deer.

15. #115 Kegdas, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2011
    I have some similar experiences with this as well.

For some reason, despite being an Arab Christian, and there are plenty of Arab Muslims in our school, all terrorist jokes or Arab knowledge is run by me to make sure they are right or to make sure I am not offended. I don't see why they do it, and I say they don't have to, but they do it anyways. So when Osama died, I got a few jokes, but my math teacher asked me how I felt in class. I was thinking like "what the fuck, dude?" but I answered anyways.

I told them that Osama was a man that killed plenty of civilians, on 9/11 or even in Afghanistan, and all though I was not a Muslim (and everyone knew that) he gave a bad name for Muslims everywhere. And so, with that, I then said that someone's death is never something you should celebrate, no matter who the person is. I even hinted it was possible that Osama had died years before due to kidney failure. I mean, he was on dialysis, so it is possible.

I also felt a bit sick over this. I know this will just fuel more ignorant American racism. And I know why they chose to become insurgents. They hate the US because we openly support Israel. Because we had invaded their lands and decided that they were insurgents, so they became what we were trying to stop. A cause I believe is just and reasonable. I don't really want to get into this conflict here, but if I think it is reasonable to hate Israel, or why the Afghans/Pakistani people at least dislike America, then I can see why they swore allegiance to a man who was commonly looked at as the generic picture for Muslims. Long beard, hates America, had to do with suicide bombing. The more I thought about it just made me want to get out of America more, and maybe go to somewhere like Canada, France, or the Netherlands.

And it also sickens me that people are celebrating his death, because all though he has killed 3000 American citizens, we have killed a number most people think is around 100,000 Iraqi civilians. I know Iraq doesn't have to do with Afghanistan, but seriously? How is this a victory? If anything it is a reminder of the terrible shit we got ourselves into. A reminder that the true heroes of war are the ones who didn't take up arms. The people who walked down the street every day, without armor, guns, or backup, possibly getting shot at by either the people who came and sworn to protect them or their government.

I think I overreacted with this, but walking down the hall to LA11 and some sophomore was flying around the US flag screaming "WE GOT HIM!!!" I pushed that fucker right in the hallway, and he slammed against a locker. Everyone stared and I said "The hell is wrong with you?" and walked on. Most people thought I was mourning his death and that is why I did it. Sometimes I just hate a lot of people. But at least I got you, stoners.

16. :smoke: My thoughts exactly. Canada rules!

17. I am a born and bred Muslim American of Afghan/Pakistani descent. As a NYCer I think it was a good feeling to see UBL dead, a feeling of elation, but I'm not sure I could call it justice as much as I would see it as blowback. This isn't justice when we throw someone who we trained/funded's body into the sea. This is the price of doing business without an audit.

To me we shouldn't be celebrating his death. We should ask how we got here. We got here by two towing a line with Islamic radicals. Bin Laden who opposes women in every way, was supported by the US , along with military dictators in Pakistan. These people are the reasons why law and order in these countries are so defunct and allow terrorism in the first place. We UNDERMINED democracy in the region and are doing the same by occupying Afghanistan and pissing off Afghans who, according to the Supersize-Me-director-made-documentary-Where-is-UBL, opined about the war "fuck Bush and fuck Obama. We could achieve security better by having a rapid task force that would kill any mofos, and having a charter that would make the Taliban turn in any foreign radicals.

Afghanistan and western Pakistan have never been conquered. From Alexander the Great to the British Empier to the USSR. It's never happened. Afghans are a fiercly independent people. Ask a Pashtun what they think about Arabs, Pakistanis, Americans...they will say the same thing, if they are on our land, they are dead.

+1 to the Arab Christian...growing up in the east coast I knew mad Copts/Bethlehem/Maroniyes..

It's astounding that all the people in the Midwest and South of this country who think this conflict is about religion. The Christian ARABs of Bethlehem are the direct descendents of Jesus Christ PBUH. These people get treated by Israelis the exact same way as everyone else. Including seeing your mother getting felt up by an Israeli soldier at a check point. It's a joke, so how will jesus come back my evangelical friends? I thought Jesus was with the poor and meek, not with the richest strongest nation in the history of men.. All I'm seeing is use rationality like the above poster has.

Anyways I'm baked. I hate this conflict. I'm an American and a Muslim and guess what we are the most successful parts of both heritages!

18. I was pretty happy to hear that he was dead. He had it coming. However, I'd much rather that he just died from taking a bad step or something. The U.S. gov has dirtied their hands so many times that I'm not sure it is possible for them to be remotely clean every again. As far as Israel goes, I don't support them at all. They stole the land of the Palestinians and they take more land by the day, all the while saying it is for "security," and "peace." Try telling that to the Palestinians that have a "security fence" running straight down the middle of their property, or worse yet, have had rockets fired at their property. Israel has been getting some major heat in the UN lately, and I'm glad.

So, I guess I can't really blame people for celebrating. I don't really think it is that big of a deal. Oh and btw, that MLK quote is a misquote... Just saying, don't mean any offense by it. Really though, these wars we are in are incredibly pointless. Is the Middle East better off now than it was? FUCK. NO. Are we? Maybe Raytheon, Colt Arms, and Halliburton Petroleum. The rest of us really aren't. I honestly think that we couldn't do any more harm than we currently are by pulling the fuck out of the Middle East entirely. Bring the boys home, before more of their brains get fucked with PTSD and all sorts of lovely war induced mental conditions.

And yeah +1 on the oil thing. People are constantly ranting about OOHHHH WE GONNA RUN OUT SOOOON!!! The hell we aren't. We are pumping more oil than ever before, and the known reserves are bigger than ever. We got at least 200 years worth of oil alone in just the USA. It is just more opportunities for "green" companies like Toyota to sell more Prius's and hybrid Camry's. Which, btw are actually worse for the environment due to the battery's nickel content, and the VERY toxic byproducts coming from the factories that produce the batteries. And seriously the fuckers cost like 30k new. If you want to save gas, just get a $10k midsize car, and get 35mpg, and use the difference to pay for the next ooh idk... FIFTEEN YEARS WORTH OF GAS. Ok, this has been my rant. Lol sorry.

19. Osama killed 3000 Americans (allegedly, let's not even get into that). America 'retaliates' by killing 109,000 Iraqi civilians and God knows how many in other countries. He crippled the USA within 15 trillion dollars of debt and you're trying to convince me, an Australian, that Osama didn't die thinking of himself a hero?

I'm glad you can all get some 'closure' because the families that lost THEIR loved ones in the Middle East never will. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

20. I agree 100%, bro. I have total respect for Muslims just because how they have to grow up in a world that blindly hates them. Stay awesome, preach peace, and I think people will change with time. They did with the blacks, but that isn't necessarily over.

Also, unrelated, but if I ever see racism against Muslim people, no matter of if any of them are my friends or not, or even if I dislike them, I always get a really bad feeling in my stomach and defend them. It is funny, though, because I only get that feeling when people are blindly hating on Arabs, or the Middle-East. I think it is just that our people are so intertwined in an ignorant world.

EDIT: You could consider me like this guy:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCiCIfzjynQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCiCIfzjynQ[/ame]