Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Should they make weed legal

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by THC1011, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Decriminalization is bullshit. It's a red herring; it's still illegal so people will still charge far more than it should cost, there will be no regulation at all so medical users will continue to suffer, and it won't help society in any way (via taxes, etc.). It's no secret that large commercial growers secretly lobby to KEEP it illegal; it's a huge moneymaker as it stands now.

Full legalization is the only sane option. Once it's decriminalized the impetus towards full legalization is gone. People will not have to worry about going to jail so they'll say 'who cares' and stop fighting to get it fully legalised.

2. nah bro, when someone does some legitimate scientific research in this country, they'll realize that having stronger pot doesn't mean that people will smoke themselves into catatonia. they'll smoke less - about 5-13 times less than in the 70's, when you consider average thc content back then was 1.5ish, and today's mid-to-dank bud goes anywhere from 8 to 20 percent. less smoke = less cancer = safer medicine.

that'll be the day though - all these holier-than-thou conservative assbags are driving me crazy.

3. Legal Cannabis = Cheap Cannabis

I vote yes:hello:

4. Seems to work in Amsterdam :confused:
    I understand your point though

5. couldn't you just smoke a lot more of it?

alcohol comes in different proofs idk

6. If they allow 75% alcohol (150proof) then they would allow dank buds if cannabis was legal. But then again, nothing about our current drug policy makes any sense.

7. perfect example, thc is technically scheduled twice. bud and hashish are both class 1 drugs, but marinol is a class 3. logic?

8. To say it is a bad thing for society that the government gets no tax money is erroneous especially given your argument. That aside, I don't think people would stop fighting for its legalization if it were decriminalized... but they might, and you might be right.

9. Taxes have to come from somewhere, and sales/consumption taxes are far better than increasing income taxes. We don't live in a bubble and cannabis should be legal, regulated, and taxed just like any other crop or like tobacco and alcohol.

10. Dude, DUDE! I'm not even gunna go there.
    Even if they did control the THC, what would stop you from making hash? Put a little hash on top of some weak bud WAM! BAM! BOOM! High as fuck!

11. i actually have to present a 10 minute speech on the legalization of drugs for my english class, with marijuana being my main focal point. ive done a lot of research on this topic for a long time, and i have come to realize this: as much as i want weed to be legal, it wont happen, or at least not for a long time. Reefer Madness is still present in people's psyche, so its not going to happen unless a lot of people get re-elected to Congress. What is possible, though, is legalization of MEDICAL marijuana and/or decriminalization of the herb for the average joe. i highly doubt full legalization will ever be reached, as much as i wish for it. i do see some light at the end of the tunnel for MMJ, and decriminalization will probably take effect within the next 15 years for many more states, because arresting a guy for possession of a gram is beginning to become too much of a hassle for many states.

12. Agreed, 100%. As long as weed is NOT legal, it makes criminals rich.

I mean...why wouldn't it be treated precisely like Alcohol, and not as a "Drug"?
    Did we not learn from the prohibition of Alcohol?

Actually, repeat misdemeanors can carry rather awful sentences (like in years of time), and pretty hefty fines, particularly repeat as in same misdemeanor.

Nonetheless, I am actually amazed that cannabis is even considered a drug. Alcohol is way more of a drug than cannabis, in every way, in my opinion. And, a person that enjoys the recreational effect that alcohol has on them can actually make all of their own alcohol that they would like, with few exceptions. The government allows us to make and consume a substance that is known to be physically addictive, with severely negative side effects, when abused at all...in fact...they sell it to us. They will sell us the 150 proof stuff. But they will put us in prison for selling, smoking or growing weed, depending where you live.

The government has liquor stores, and they tax the sale of alcohol in stores, but no one has to claim any of the beer or wine they may make and consume, at their own homes. Nor, as far as I know, is anyone required to pay a tithing to the state for the ability to make and/or consume their own alcohol.

Why wouldn't they just let us do this, with weed? Are they afraid we will become too mellow?

I mean...if they were to totally legalize weed...think of the hole that would put in the pockets of the drug cartels? The terror organizations? Just like you said, OSG...it is a huge money maker for criminals, this way.

If they just legalized it...I am pretty loaded right now, but can you imagine the savings? In people that wouldn't go to jail? On resources currently devoted to busting weed that could go to real crimes?

Man...it is a staggering thought. Weed should never have been made illegal, anyway.

<Steps Off Soapbox>

Sorry for the rant, folks...but my short version? Yes...weed should be legal. :)

13. ^^ That is public speech-worthy :hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

14. California decriminalized marijuana awhile back. It's only a ticket, if even. I don't think it hurts the movement that much though. I could see how a person living in a state with stricter laws would feel stronger about legalizing marijuana though.

Then again California decriminalized it and saw that it created no additional problems and freed up police. The movement stayed strong and patients received the right to use medical marijuana. I still think most (not by too much though) Californian's realize that marijuana is everywhere and that it is not that huge of a problem because of medical marijuana and decriminalization. Because of that I think they would be in more favor to legalize marijuana. It hasn't happened yet though...

15. #35 corey123, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
    If the govt legalizes weed more people will be growing more potent strands. But, in all honesty the USA will be in a large debt till Obama legalizes pot. :smoking:

P.S. Massachusetts decriminalized weed last month. Love this law. =] Smoked a blunt right after I got off probation rolling away from the court house.

16. neg rep for stupidity

17. bud nukem...+rep man...

18. yes they should because it would be a huge step for our world or at least for the population of smokers, because we would be free to do it wherever we wanted and however we wanted and not have to worry about any cops or trouble or anything, and i think we would just get higher, because we could realllly enjoy the "chill" and amazing feeling of the high without ANY worries at all. and if we could do that, then more people would join in, and we suddenly would become at least a little bit more caring and chill as a people.

im not even high right now lolll, i think weed has genuinly improved my life!

19. wow.. im shaking my head in disbelief.. get out of my country

20. yes.
    If the gov't thinks they can control a legalized plant
    that grows at the speed a weed does...their stupider
    than i thought...
    if substances like alcohol, tobacco, and cough syrup r
    legal, y not something thats less toxic than all 3,
    that needs no manufacturing, just water and light.