Should Suspected Terrorists Have Miranda Rights?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, May 10, 2010.

1. they are terrorists and should be treated as such, as POWs, but the problem is that we try these pieces of shit like any other citizen, if we dont read miranda rights then we cant try them. its a double edged sword

2. If you take rights away from people accused of certain crimes, then you take them away from everyone. Because ANYONE can be accused of a crime.

And I sound like a broken record here, but I heard on Fox News the other day that many of the people who have tried to pull off terrorist acts lately (Underwear bomber, guy who flew plane into IRS building, and this Shahzad guy to name three) have been active on internet forums bitching about the Government.

Many people on this forum have called Obama a tyrant. Many of them take every chance to criticize him.

Do you want to relieve Obama of his obligation to respect your rights?

Or do you support him being able to arrest you and waterboard you to make sure you aren't planning to act out on your hatred, then send you off to Guantanamo Bay without any hope of a trial?

I mean, if he's really a power hungry despot, he could do this... And you guys want to give him MORE power to do such despotic acts...

And another thing. Bush said the terrorists hate us because of the freedoms we have.

If that's the case, then taking away people's rights as a response to attempted terrorist attacks gives them the win.

They don't even have to kill anybody any more. All they have to do is fail at an attack, and each time we'll find some right to take away from people until we have none left.

3. The rights aren't being taken away.

Having their rights read to them is being proposed to be taken away.

A person does not have a right to remain silent on a whole host of matters. A person only has a right to remain silent against self incrimination.

4. A few months ago in the UK, there was a pretty big scandal about prisoners getting their "5 a day" (5 peices of fruit).

Supposidly the tax payer had to pay for rapists and child killers to get their 5 apples or so a day.

Personally i think its just a fucking piss take, if someone goes out and hurts another (whether it be, rape, murder, whatever), i think they should have their "human rights act" totally scrapped

Edit: The UK has a new Prime Minister now, with a totaly diffrent party in power. I hope they clean up this mess.

Fucking bastards, "human rights," fucking joke

5. Why would you use something GWB said? I'm sure you spend the majority of his presidency complaining about him, and now you use his quote to try to argue?

Bush is probably the last person I'd believe if he tried to explain "Why" the terrorists hate us. Bush's explanation is a cookie cutter public school answer. Do you think it's as simple as "The terrorists hate our freedom...."

6. I think the issue here is the fact they are suspected terrorists and not convicted terrorists. I'm all for removing some rights of individuals that have proven they don't have the cognitive capacity to recognize that harm against another is a violation of that persons rights.

That's the thing here. Someone under suspicion of something should have every protection available to them until proven guilty, otherwise what would our justice system become? Summary judgement? They're just slowly chipping away at our liberties...