Should 'stealing' wifi be a criminal act?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tripace, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Well, to be honest, this was in England that they are arresting people, but I've got this funny hunch they'll try bringing that idea over here soon enough.:rolleyes:

You know, because the for-profit prison system isn't making enough money on locking people up for simple drug possession... ;)

2. Theft is theft is theft. It doesn't matter how small and insignificant it seems to you.

Arresting people for stealing wifi is stupid. I'd prefer more of a street justice approach where I toy with people who are dumb enough to join my open wifi network. :devious:

3. Hmm, I like that idea, somehow back door a remote desktop access onto your wifi, so that when they try to borrow it, you can take control of their PC, just start opening files while they're trying to browse the web, they'd be like "WTF??? I think my PC is haunted!" :laughing:

4. Oh i realize that this was in London. And i totally agree with the bolded part. Also don't London police basically watch everyone 24/7 with their creepy little cameras? How do they get the manpower to police Wi Fi too?

I have no idea how Londoners could put up with that kind of crap without a riot. Oh thats right the gov pays for all of their shit like healthcare and education so all they care about is keep their gov perks.

5. Dude England is fucked. I heard awhile back about them taking a couple's kids away because they were fat. No lie.

6. [quote name='"kstigs"']

It's not the same thing...

Do you know what a bandwidth limit is? I agree that people should encrypt their wifi, but you are depriving someone else of something by using their connection (especially if there is a bandwidth/speed cap). Just because someone leaves their door unlocked (or even open) doesn't mean you can go and inside and take something...

You're not depriving anyone of anything by listening to a radio. You are depriving someone of bandwidth (speed) if you use their wifi.[/quote]

Like I said if you are depriving speed or taking up paid for data then sure. But if I pay for cable tv and you watch through a open window is that a crime? For stealing ? And if I put up.curtains and you peak through is this stealing?

7. no its not stealing butif your touching my curtains im knock u on ur ass

8. If the window is adjacent to a public street/sidewalk, probably not (unless you're blocking access to the house or some other extenuating circumstance).

9. Who doesn't password their wifi?